Diverse Round 1

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
so the pairings are random and not based on scores or anything like that?
The match-ups are random although, we can make the last round (5th) a match up of players by score.

Waiting for some email responses - sent a note to both Stand-by's but no contact.
Will get out the game tonight or Sunday the latest.

Allied vs. Axis
1. BigAlMoho vs. Leto
2. Michael Dorosh vs. jdsu
3. Redwolf vs. Cornolio
4. Quellist vs. Lurker
5. Mangus2000 vs MeatEtr.

MeatEtr

Reaction score
Just a quick update, Redwolf and I are on turn 21 now. So should be finishing it up soon. Good to hear Rd. 2 is starting shortly.:ar15:

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Battle finished, Redwolf vs. MeatEtr

Axis Tactical Victory 34 - 66

Good game Redwolf, I enjoyed it. :salute:
Good game.

I cannot believe that stupid tank went down literally in the last second of turn 25 :mad:

MeatEtr

Reaction score
Good game.

I cannot believe that stupid tank went down literally in the last second of turn 25 :mad:
Although he did get several troops with those last two shots of canister. Thing is though, I had two units with grenade bundles targeting him for the last 2-3 turns to no effect. Think it was the HQ that tossed the nade to immobilize it though. So rushed my smg troops with satchels over there to finish him off.

Lurker

Reaction score
That's it - final turned played. Axis minor victory.

I think it's safe to analyze the scenario now without any spoiler. :)

I have to agree with Leto if he got the version of the scenario that I did. I think it heavily favors the Russians. IIRC Kerry pointed out that I was accidentally sent the wrong version that favors the Allies (6 T34 and 3 PZiv).

In fairness to Magnus my victory had little to do with any cleverness on my part but more his overly cautious approach in attacking. I'm guessing he was concerned I might have had good tank killing AT guns and therefore kept his T's hidden until the last few turns. Had he played aggressively in attack he should have been able to easily roll me up on the defensive end. Also the fact that he ignored the center flags and let me take them contributed much I'm sure.

What impressed me at the end was how little effect my attack had on his units. I think all his defenders were veterans and most were in good order with few or no casualties. This was in spite of a continual hammering of buildings he apparently occupied along with massive small arms fire. The numbers he had on defense was also impressive.

Rather than belabor this particular scenario, as the designer did tweak it for better balance in later versions, I would like to hear some AARs from those with a different version.

Kerry, thanks for putting this together! :clap:

Last edited:

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
:)
Round 1 is officially over. :salute:

This game has been adjusted based on other results:

Quellist vs. Leto--- now a AL Tac --- adjusted from --- Al Min 59/41

Lurker do you happen to have the score in your game for completeness?

Last edited:

Quellist

Reaction score
Country
llCuba
Well, with all the noise generated by our game I think you deserve some sort of
summary.

Both I and Leto loaded up our tanks with infantry and charged them at the middle village,
I used 2 of the SMG-squads in this role and also fast moved one of the plts from the defensive setup zone into the village. My other attacking infantry headed towards the village on foot at a slower pace.

I put the running riffle squads into the buildings in the village and my SMG-troops in the forest
on Letos side. I kept 3 of the T-34s on over-watch and carefully moved the other 3 towards good looking positions closer to the village.

At this point Letos tanks showed up in the village, a happy go lucky manner, and simply dropped off his infantry and charged forward into my approaching tanks. The first PZIV took a hit through the turret from a T-34 at a very close distance and seconds later made a very skillful shot to take out one of the T34s on over-watch much further away. The next turn that PZIV bit the dust and the other two were "trapped" in the village as my forward T-34s had good angles on the possible retreats and I had some good hulldown positions further along that would have let me open up on his tanks where they currently were.

During this Letos infantry showed up in the forests surrounding the village, but since I had some T-34s to spare I could pound away with two of those in support of my SMG-plts on his side. One of those SMGs broke though and got it in the back as they headed towards Moscow.

On my side of the village I caught some of his SMG-infantry (from his defensive setup?) out in the open which they didn't enjoy and was about to make the process short with a riffle plt (that lost its HQ in the first volley.)

At this point Leto went for all or nothing and charged forward with his tanks, attacking the tanks that were pounding at his infantry. My tank on over-watch took out one of his tanks and during the next turn his other took a upper hull (iirc) penetration and decided that it had enough and headed towards Helsinki.

At this point Leto had had enough and surrendered, this was on turn 12-13. And for the record he did offer to finish the game after the ruckus his surrender caused, I declined though as the results without FoW would have been as artificial as anything else and without FoW there really isn't much enjoyment to be had.

In the knife-fight for the Village I believe that the allied 2-1 tank superiority (and with the T-34s strong turret armor) is going to win the battle for the village 9 times out of 10. And if you drive your tanks from the backseat in the unfocused manner that Leto did the odds are even worse.

This is of course my view, Letos might differ. Since I believe that he doesn't post here anymore I'll add that if you (Leto) send me any comments on this I'll add them to this post.View attachment 31125

Edit: Squad -> plt.

Last edited:

BigAlMoho

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Side note:
I have saved all the game files from this round and would be willing to zip them up and exchange with everyone (or anyone) else after the passwords are released...

Lurker

Reaction score
Thanks for the AAR.

I decided to move the bulk of my attacking force - about 3/4 of the infantry - to the center village. I left two PZiv's near the rear of my small flag to pound down the high buildings in the Russian defensive zone and used the other tank as support with what attacking units I had left for the attack. The maxims went with the attack as support.
On the defensive side I moved a plt out toward my left front to a tree ridge to try and catch some of his infantry in the open and delay his attack. I wasn't too happy with the Finn guns as they seemed to have very poor AT capability. I placed two guns on the scattered tree covered hill in the back of my defense to offer support to the front buildings should any of them fall. One gun was placed to be able to pound the two of the center village's largest buildings in case HE support was needed there.

The forward defense plt did catch his units moving up but they were in scattered trees and not open ground. The delay did work and kept him locked up trying to dislodge the plt for a good 8 turns (estimated). I also used the two light mortars via a spotter in a 2nd floor to harass the units fighting that plt. When he finally did overrun them one was killed and the HQ and other squad fled with heavy casualties. In spite of hammering at the advancing units for 8 turns I found out after the game that they did surprisingly little damage and killed no squads.
I also had a gun supporting the advanced plt and this may have made the popovs cautious in bringing his formidable T-force forward.

My move on the center village met with no resistance, much to my surprise. I occupied the buildings and waited for his move on them - which never came. The interesting thing is that by not attacking in the center he managed to tie down my main attacking force as they waited for action in that sector. I finally decided he was not going to make a play there and tried to move two platoons over to the back right flank of his defense to assist in the attack, but I waited too long and did not arrive in time.

My attack went very slow and cautious; probably too cautious seeing as I have little CM experience in attacking. Most of my battles have been MEs. I took too long getting the attack under way and the game ran out of time as I was trying to take the out-lying buildings. It's probably a good thing too after seeing the aftermath and that he may have outnumbered my forces with defenders - and most being in good order with few casualties. This in spite of knocking down three buildings and hammering other occupied ones.

The game ended with his units about to take the outer perimeter buildings in my defensive zone. I did KO a T after three and a have penetrations but had no HC left for the other 5. It appears he ran out of time or would most likely have overrun my defense.

Last edited: