Distant Guns 1.5 Now On Sale!

Firestorm

Reaction score
Well I would have gotten it today. However, since I had to spend $750 in the last two weeks on car repair for two unrelated problems. I'm going to have to hold off upgrading DG for a while longer.

saddletank

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
Is there a free update for those who bought v1 recently?

NR61

Reaction score
Country
ll
Has anyone downloaded yet. I want to download the $34.95 upgrade (I purchased my original DG in 2007) but I only see one dowload link.

I was expecting different downloads for the different options. Is the one download option at the top of the page for all the different purchase options?

Thought I would check before I start any downloads.

Thanks,
Nigel

rgreat

Reaction score
Country
llRussia
If the file you downloading is more then 400mb - it is a correct one.

Old DG was like 330mb.

kotori87

Reaction score
I did the DG1 to DG1.5 upgrade. You download the new DG1.5 installer, just like you would for any of the DG1.5 licenses. Then you buy the upgrade license, enter it in the license screen for the game, an voila you're ready to play.

I played the DG1.5 "red sky at dawn" scenario and was very impressed with the upgraded game engine. Very impressive and fun to work with. Alas, whoever designed the "red sky" scenario made a big mistake: the Russian PC is better armored than the Japanese PC, and has better guns, to boot. So while my cruiser's heaviest guns were unable to penetrate the armor on the Russian cruiser, its guns went through my ship's armor like paper. Combine that with the AI's "lure them back to the battlefleet" mentality, and the scenario ended pretty quickly, and unhappily, without the battleships ever sighting one another. Bit of an oops on the scenario designer's part, a different Japanese protected cruiser might have performed better, or a different Russian protected cruiser with not-so-powerful guns.

Then I tried one of the big daytime fleet actions, and all was happy again :D The AI was much smarter than in DG1.0, and the improved interface was wonderful. Great game, I highly recommend it.

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Alas, whoever designed the "red sky" scenario made a big mistake: the Russian PC is better armored than the Japanese PC, and has better guns, to boot.
I designed the scenario :). How many times did you play it?

The armor of the opposing PCs is the same or close enough as to make no difference. The main differnce is that Askold has a bunch of 6" whereas Yoshino mostly has 4". However, Yoshino has a higher ROF, and shielded guns in both ships are quite vulnerable to nearby HE hits. Most times I've played it, Askold loses a few more guns and Yoshino loses a bit more flooding, but otherwise it's a wash until the sun rises and Askold starts getting a range advantage. OTOH, sometimes Yoshino silcences Askold very quickly. C'et la guerre. OTOH, the BB match-up is more in favor of the Japanese. True, they've got their weakest BBs, but they're still more likely to land more hits in a given amount of time than the Russian BBs.

The RJW ships have been out there over 2 years now. I figured everybody already knew their strengths and weaknesses. I also assumed that, as with the Jutland version of this scenario, folks would realize the cruisers and destroyers are there to do the scouting skirmishing and not to win the war. If you don't think you can beat the enemy scouts off, at least try to draw them away from your BBs.

BobDuckworth62

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Bob
Country
llUnited Kingdom
From the sale page:

http://www.stormeaglestudios.com/public/html/dg_1_5/se_DG_1_5_v2.html

"Upgrade from
Distant Guns 1.0 to 1.5 Pro Ed
If DG 1.0 Purchased after Sept 30th, 2008 - Free"
Ok, I bought DG 1.0 in January, and downloaded 1.5. Running the installer though said I had to de-install 1.0 first, which I did, then installed 1.5, and all runs fine. It looks great btw :)

But how do I get the free upgrade to the pro Edition?? My DG 1.0 license does not work - I get an error 200 "you are attempting to activate with a licence assigned to a different product".

Please help!

Thanks

Bob

BobDuckworth62

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Bob
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ok, I bought DG 1.0 in January, and downloaded 1.5. Running the installer though said I had to de-install 1.0 first, which I did, then installed 1.5, and all runs fine. It looks great btw :)

But how do I get the free upgrade to the pro Edition?? My DG 1.0 license does not work - I get an error 200 "you are attempting to activate with a licence assigned to a different product".

Please help!

Thanks

Bob
Sorry

please disregard, I was being unimaginative: I didnt realise you just had to go through the purchase process!

Thanks

Bob

kotori87

Reaction score
I will have to give that scenario a few more tries. I played it more as an interface check, to make sure I still remember how to handle the old-school RJW ships. Entirely likely that I screwed up the ship-handling somehow. The big thing for me is that the great big scenarios, like Tsushima, Ullung, and Yellow Sea all are gorgeous now. The AI is a helluva lot smarter, too.

NR61

Reaction score
Country
ll
Thanks for the replies

DG 1.5 upgrade now downloaded and purchased last night. At work now . . . Cant wait to get home tonight and give it a go.

Johnlind2002

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
I downloaded it for the trial but it being a night scenario cant really see much of the new graphics. Dont think I will buy it I also bought DG a while back and now feel I am being discriminated against.

MajorDamage

Reaction score
Country
ll
You're not being discriminated against - you get a $20 discount for upgrading to the Pro edition of DG 1.5. It's not just nicer ship models, it's the ability to place the camera at sea level, far superior environmental graphics with plenty of options to tweak to your linking, and the scenario editor. If you liked the original DG then it's well worth the money.