Disruption Levels?

hrik

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Wouldn't it be better if there were several levels of disruption - perhaps as many as 10 - with the effects on movement and combat more gradual (and thus less severe) than the current disrupt/disorder systems. At low levels, units would still be able to melee and their fighting ability would be only reduced slightly - perhaps -10% for level 1, -20% for level 2, etc. Perhaps from level 5 upwards they'd be unable to melee or change formation?

However, I don't think that there should be any movement penalty, even at high levels of disruption, since this prevents troops from retreating as well as conducting offensive action, which seems illogical as disrupted units would have no incentive to retreat more slowly than undisrupted ones.

Also, players should be able to use up part of their movement allowance to reduce disruption. This would help to slow down the pace of the battle and encourage players to rest and reorganize troops. I know fatigue does this too, but it would be useful if players had the option of spending time (ie. movement allowance) reducing disruption rather than have this handled entirely randomly by the computer. This is present in Shrapnel's Dragoon series and is probably the best feature of these games - certainly it's the one feature I'd like to see in the HPS games.

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Most excellent ideas! I'm continually frustrated when moving a bunch of cav done a road and one regiment decides to jump into the woods. It then sits, disrupted turn after turn because my finger let off the mouse a split second too late.

I agree very much too with you statement about how hard it is to retreat in this game. I swear a good rearguard action is impossible. I know that's a hard operation but in CWB's it really is about impossible to pull off. Maybe we need a "retreat" formation where units cannot fire, melee at half strength but get extra movement points instead of the reduced movement points brought on by disruption.