Display Settings

Revthought

Reaction score
Hey guys, is there anyway to get my basic display settings to default to my personal settings.

At the moment I've got to go in and turn on the antialiasing and anisotropic, as well as adjust my desired display resolution every time I boot the game.

If not, not big deal. Just thought I might be missing something.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Strange. All that is supposed to be saved in the DG.cfg file every time you exit the game.

Maybe something in your security is preventing the DG.cfg file from being changed? Like maybe the Jutland folder is read-only? That's my best idea. If that ain't it, you'd better send in a report.

barkhauer

Reaction score
Make sure you're exiting the game normally, through the Quit button in the interface. If you're aborting the game somehow, such as clicking the X in the corner in windowed mode, or using right-click-close from the Windows task bar, the game will exit without saving in my experience, and may or may not generate a crash on closing.

The14thDoctor

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Strange. All that is supposed to be saved in the DG.cfg file every time you exit the game.

Maybe something in your security is preventing the DG.cfg file from being changed? Like maybe the Jutland folder is read-only? That's my best idea. If that ain't it, you'd better send in a report.
I have the identical problem with both DG (express edition) and Jutland (pro). I also have a possibly related problem with the in game sound, which is absent (in both games). The log files tell me that "open_audio() failed, could not create music audiopath #0". It does seem as though it might be a write issue. However, if I delete the dg.cfg or dg_rjw.cfg file in the game, it is re-written when the game is exited (but still the display settings are not saved!)

There problems have only just appeared - both games were working fine when I last played a few weeks ago, and I have no idea what I have done to change things. I've even uninstalled and re-installed all Stormpowered stuff, but the problems remain. I've posted on the Storm Eagles forum and emailed SES support, so hoping to get a response.

In the meantime, anybody got any ideas?

Thanks, guys.

XRAY

Reaction score
Country
ll
I experienced a similar problem last year and found that if I started the programme in admin mode after redoing the display settings the game remembered the settings and fixed the sound.

I hope it works ok for you.

The14thDoctor

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I experienced a similar problem last year and found that if I started the programme in admin mode after redoing the display settings the game remembered the settings and fixed the sound.

I hope it works ok for you.
Thank you XRAY, I'm pretty sure I tried your suggestion but with no success. However, I did just get it sorted (well, sort of). Here's what I did:

First of all I came across this on the net at http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/10/the-most-frustrating-windows-7-audio-problem-solved/:

Hi, go to start search and type cmd search will return cmd.exe right click on this and select 'run as administrator' at the prompt type:-

net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice
press enter then type:
net localgroup Administrators /add localservice
press enter then type:
exit
press enter and restart your computer

To reverse, substitute delete for add
UNQUOTE

Tried it, and it worked - temporarily. The sound on both games was normal and they both saved their screen settings. However, after a reboot the same problems returned.

I then tried altering the security permissions on the Distant Guns game folder by adding the following user names:

LOCAL SERVICE
NETWORK SERVICE.

Eureka! Distant Guns sound worked (but not the screen settings). Weirdly, the same was true of Jutland WITHOUT altering the permissions on that folder. Although Jutland worked, the StormPowered client told me I needed to re-install. When I did, the normal update was downloaded but the ships_DG2.txt file would not unzip into the Jutland/Data2/oob folder (access problem again, arrgh!!!)

I then uninstalled both games and separately deleted the game folders (I'd done this once before with no success), then re-installed and tried the games before attempting to alter the security permissions as above. Hallelujah! Everything worked. This was yesterday. Today, after a reboot, everything still works!! No idea why!!

Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Thank you again for your response.

XRAY

Reaction score
Country
ll
Pleasures all mine, glad you sorted it out!