Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Hi guys and hope you are all well.

I am doing OK as I am self Isolating at this point and working on Dispatch #49.

It will be just a little late due to our move over the winter but should be released by mid April at the latest.

It will have 4 new scenarios (a good looking France 40 action with combined arms on both sides, one in Korea 1951, Elite Chinese paradrop into Japanese with various VCs, Russian Commandos paradropping to burn German AFV depot), Carl Nogueira continues his look at the Paradrop rules, more Todd Rezal Line Chatter and Regional ASL news. Special #50 Issue will be a back to basics issue with 4 scenarios with a more user friendly commonality. All 48 pdf Issue are available, with over 130 scenarios.

With the health crisis going on and social distancing becoming mandatory with pretty much everything shutting down, if you are in need of a cheap entertainment option and ASL fix Dispatches from the Bunker might be what you are looking for. It is an amateur ASL newsletter, brought to the greater ASL community twice a year by ASL veterans from New England with 2 to 4 scenarios and ASL articles on all aspects of ASL play in each issue.

I have complete details on the newsletter here at Game Squad Forums in the ASL Emporium sub-forum link, look for my Monthly Update there.

Any other question can always be directed to my e-mail at:

aslbunker@aol.com

Thanks again for your interest and support and everyone stay well and safe, Vic.

Crustav

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
It is an amateur ASL newsletter, brought to the greater ASL community twice a year by ASL veterans from New England with 2 to 4 scenarios and ASL articles on all aspects of ASL play in each issue.
Hi Vic!
I think you can stop calling it amateur. I have all your newsletters and am reading them cover to cover. Sittning with number 16 right now. I would call it a high quality newsletter/fanzine.
Keep up the good work!

/Gustav

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Hi Vic!
I think you can stop calling it amateur. I have all your newsletters and am reading them cover to cover. Sittning with number 16 right now. I would call it a high quality newsletter/fanzine.
Keep up the good work!

/Gustav
Nice, Gustav, you made my day! :)

If this does not give me motivation to work on the newsletter, I don't know what will.

Thanks again for the very kind words, interest and continued support, Enjoy! Vic.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi guys and hope you are all well.

I am doing OK as I am self Isolating at this point and working on Dispatch #49.

It will be just a little late due to our move over the winter but should be released by mid April at the latest.

It will have 4 new scenarios (a good looking France 40 action with combined arms on both sides, one in Korea 1951, Elite Chinese paradrop into Japanese with various VCs, Russian Commandos paradropping to burn German AFV depot), Carl Nogueira continues his look at the Paradrop rules, more Todd Rezal Line Chatter and Regional ASL news. Special #50 Issue will be a back to basics issue with 4 scenarios with a more user friendly commonality. All 48 pdf Issue are available, with over 130 scenarios.

With the health crisis going on and social distancing becoming mandatory with pretty much everything shutting down, if you are in need of a cheap entertainment option and ASL fix Dispatches from the Bunker might be what you are looking for. It is an amateur ASL newsletter, brought to the greater ASL community twice a year by ASL veterans from New England with 2 to 4 scenarios and ASL articles on all aspects of ASL play in each issue.

I have complete details on the newsletter here at Game Squad Forums in the ASL Emporium sub-forum link, look for my Monthly Update there.

Any other question can always be directed to my e-mail at:

aslbunker@aol.com

Thanks again for your interest and support and everyone stay well and safe, Vic.
Elite Chinese paradrop into IJA? That sounds like a riot right there! Hey man, take good care of yourself in that nice place of yours.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Elite Chinese paradrop into IJA? That sounds like a riot right there! Hey man, take good care of yourself in that nice place of yours.
Yeah Jackson, basicaly it is, LOL!
Green Apples finds a company of elite Chinese Commandos with a couple squads of USA advisers paradropping into a lightly defended Japanese area centered on Board 44 with the River RV1 overlay along its length, boards t and x flanking it. There are 6 Japanese reinforcement platoons, they will get 5 randomly through a chit draw, 4 infantry and 2 armor and all are different. So pandemonium quickly ensues as they land, try to get organized and see what 3 of the 5 VCs they might attain. Tom Morin has come up with another cool design that is very replayable for those into paradrops and this is really not that bad. Quite the melee before all is said and done. PTO craziness! Vic.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yeah Jackson, basicaly it is, LOL!
Green Apples finds a company of elite Chinese Commandos with a couple squads of USA advisers paradropping into a lightly defended Japanese area centered on Board 44 with the River RV1 overlay along its length, boards t and x flanking it. There are 6 Japanese reinforcement platoons, they will get 5 randomly through a chit draw, 4 infantry and 2 armor and all are different. So pandemonium quickly ensues as they land, try to get organized and see what 3 of the 5 VCs they might attain. Tom Morin has come up with another cool design that is very replayable for those into paradrops and this is really not that bad. Quite the melee before all is said and done. PTO craziness! Vic.
!!! I have never done paradrops - so this might just be that motivation!! Thanks man, and yeah, there's NO possible way that DftB can be "amateur" in any sense (I agree with @Crustav).

I REALLY look forward to it now.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
So happy that the Bunker crew is visiting the Land of the Morning Calm! I'm looking forward to the next issue.
Yes indeed, have to get out of the house a little, was nice to see my inner circle and through some dice, though Ralph's Communist Chinese proved too much for my USA troops this time out, just ran out of time. Those guys don't have much firepower but like the Japanese they step-reduce so don't just break and run away so are a pain to deal with and can delay and waste time as they die so you end wondering where the time went as their OB disappears but victory is elusive. Learning the traits of a new nationality is intriguing and fun.

Look for #49 in a few weeks and Thanks for your interest, as always, Vic.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
!!! I have never done paradrops - so this might just be that motivation!! Thanks man, and yeah, there's NO possible way that DftB can be "amateur" in any sense (I agree with @Crustav).

I REALLY look forward to it now.
With Tom Morin and Carl Norgueira aboard, I'm probably the most 'amateur' thing there is about Dispatches at this point, LOL!

Paradrops seem more complicated than they actually are in practice but I will tell everyone this is the last issue you will see them in for awhile, we had them in the bag for a while but decided to release them in 2 issues that also had Carl's Paradrop AND Glider articles in them. The fact that the scenarios were also quite unique and fun to boot made trying out the paradrop rules after reading Carl's helpful articles well worth the trouble and hopefully opens up other such actions in the future for my subscribers.

So yes indeed Jackson, when #49 comes out, have at it! Vic. :)

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Next thing you know we'll see a night scenario!? Keep up the great work, there's a reason one sees so many DftB scenarios at tournaments and ASL gatherings!

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Next thing you know we'll see a night scenario!? Keep up the great work, there's a reason one sees so many DftB scenarios at tournaments and ASL gatherings!
You never know, we publish anything submitted we deem worthy and interesting that survives the development and playtest process.

#50 will have scenario that are a more back to basics approach, still challenging but more user friendly in that you won't have to brush up on little used rules sections as much as #48 and #49.

Just glad to see our stuff deemed worthy of play at tourneys and in general, we must be doing something right, Vic.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Hi Vic-

How SSR heavy are these scenarios?
Hi Scott. for #49 the France 40 action is not bad at all, it is on the medium to semi-large size but can be played in a day with combined arms on both sides, plenty of maneuver and reasonable SSRs. The Korean action has just 3 SSRs and is tourney sized, USA attacking Communist Chinese in a village and on a hill. One paradrop is fairly small, with Russian Commandos floating into a German AFV depot with the goal of setting them ablaze, the other paradrop is a medium sized action with a company of Chinese paratroopers with some USA advisers dropping into Japanese held territory with a menu of VCs, the Japanese get 5 of 6 reinforcement groups from various directions coming to the rescue for quite the melee. SSRs are appropriate for what is taking place.

Issue #50 will see a return to more basic actions that will be interesting and challenging but won't need players brushing up on little used rules and the SSRs will be manageable.

We try to publish something for everyone in the long run, with now 150 scenarios published, I think we have mostly done that, and will strive to continue to do so, Vic.