disgusted and fed up with direction of ASL

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The OP is a bit petulant, which is fine, nothing wrong with being irritated with the perceived direction of the hobby, though it tends to invite a more elevated response (like bye, sell me your stuff, lol).

But, while keeping in mind that ASL is pretty expensive up front (yes yes, so is everything, and it's good value for time per dollar spent, etc), I think that MMP is trying to do a good job of keeping everyone happy. The additions to the RB rerelease have created some small division of opinion, but think about what a small added cost you are paying for what is essentially in this case an add on to the RO HASL! Similarly, I'd be fairly surprised if they didn't offer Dinant as a separate purchase for those not wanting the CdG module, although, like the Red Factories bundle, it'll be a good enough deal combined that I suspect few will split the offer.

Blaming third-party publishers seems to be a bit of a stretch, though - you takes what you gets, and it's not like people don't write reviews of products fairly quickly after release.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I read him as venting his frustration.
Perhaps is he awaiting some positive advice: anger is a feeling which expresses that one considers that something is wrong and should stop.
Calling an angry man a troll, mocking him by inviting him to give his gear away, etc. is not a good way to manage that feeling.
Offering an alternate analysis or dedramatising the negative picture that the person has been painting is more constructive.
Perhaps offering some understanding of a part (even a smaller one) of what makes him angry too.

Now perhaps the suspicions that the OP is indeed a troll and a despicable egocentric who deserves a piling of reproof and of mockeries.
I haven't seen enough of his posts to consider that there is enough evidence that he is such a person.

If we are uneasy when someone openly declares that he is quitting the hobby, we should also fall on anyone who joyfully says that he is joining the community.
Otherwise, yes, we have a cultic behaviour, blessing the converts and cursing the apostates.

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The OP is a bit petulant, which is fine, nothing wrong with being irritated with the perceived direction of the hobby, though it tends to invite a more elevated response (like bye, sell me your stuff, lol).

But, while keeping in mind that ASL is pretty expensive up front (yes yes, so is everything, and it's good value for time per dollar spent, etc), I think that MMP is trying to do a good job of keeping everyone happy. The additions to the RB rerelease have created some small division of opinion, but think about what a small added cost you are paying for what is essentially in this case an add on to the RO HASL! Similarly, I'd be fairly surprised if they didn't offer Dinant as a separate purchase for those not wanting the CdG module, although, like the Red Factories bundle, it'll be a good enough deal combined that I suspect few will split the offer.

Blaming third-party publishers seems to be a bit of a stretch, though - you takes what you gets, and it's not like people don't write reviews of products fairly quickly after release.
I agree with your balanced considerations.

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Wir warten hier, bis das Gewitter vorbei ist.
We'll wait here until the thunderstorm is over.

P.S. Until we meet again, take care bis.

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't feel the need to be hostile about, to mock or to despise the OP.
I don't share his feelings nor his analysis.
But we don't need to treat him as if he was leaving a cult.
There is some tendency of shaming people these days, I find.

The only slight point which can have some merit is that in the present times, there are a series if "enhanced" reeditions of old products.
But that problem is quite easily solved : buy just what you think you need. Don't feel the necessity to buy everything.
That type of selection is anyway applied by most of players, even with fully new publications, as we are living times when great quantities of excellent designs are offered - much more than the usual ASLer can swallow at rythm that they are coming out.
The reeditions are also good news for players who didn't own the original products: if I didn't have Red B, I would certainly purchase Red Factories.

As others have expressed : don't act in anger.
Let the steam recede.
Enjoy what you already have.
And don't sell or give away your gear.
You would quite certainly regret it.
Concur on almost all points, and as someone who has had to buy back into the hobby several times over the years (not that I ever sold anything), I understand some of the OP's frustration. A new HASL when AP#4 remains out of print? Couldn't I at least buy the rules pages included in AP#4, which I need just to have a complete Rulebook? Where are their priorities?

But I am also pragmatic enough to understand that their priorities are right where they have to be -- doing first, and most, what keeps the business viable, and therefore the hobby alive. Selling a new module at $100+ to many new and existing players is going to do that better than reprinting a $30 scenario pack just for new and returning players. And might just generate the profit required to deal with the out-of-print items like AP#4.

And I also see nothing wrong with inviting the OP to private e-mail me a list of the goods on offer, should he decide to sell any of his collection despite how short-sighted I and others here might think that.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I have some small amount sympathy with the dissatisfaction with reissues. However the exception of CH, the degree of partial duplication is, I believe, nothing on the scale compared to the likes of D&D. At least with MMP and BFP reissues your old counters and maps are still usable, indeed having extras can be an advantage with a small number of scenarios.

The only advice I can give is hang on to your kit, it will be expensive and a lengthy process to rebuild if you sell off.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One can play a lot of ASL without running out and buying everything that comes out. I myself rarely buy new product and haven't for a number of years. I am helped by the fact that the people I play with tend to buy everything, but even then, there are a lot of missing items in my inventory at this point, and I don't feel bad about it at all. Some of my antipathy about new product has to do with design choices and theaters, but mostly I am just tired of all the stuff I've bought that I never have time to play. I gave up on a box of old items last year and gave them away to another gamer. So, if the OP is still here, give up on buying it all and enjoy what you have now. One can play and enjoy ASL without being a completest, regardless of the reason you aren't a completest--whether due to finances, other hobbies, or issues with publishers' choices.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
...From the constant BS from Critical Hit to the reprint decisions at BFP (ITR2) to MMPs
decisions to include Dinant with CdG and now not to update the Red Barricades map but to
include overlays instead. I've had enough. I just canceled my Red Factories order.

The amount of errata the comes out in this hobby to things like Academy games issuing
a second edition of an $80.00 game I just bought...
1. You're just NOW complaining about CH? Where have you been the last 20 years pal?

2. I've got ITR, don't need ITR2. I'm happy. I have an extra copy of ITR I'm willing to sell.

3. Including Dinant with CDG is a great decision. Only have to pay for shipping once and all the counters for both will match. Similar to Soldiers of the Negus coming out with the Italians. (Or are you mad about that too?)

4. I don't need a new Red Barricades or a new RB map. I only ordered Red Oktober. If they updated the RB map 100 times more people would be pissed off, because they would be 'forced' to buy a new map. Lesser of two evils.

5. Who is Academy Games? Do they publish ASL stuff? If not, they suck and should be avoided any way.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1. You're just NOW complaining about CH? Where have you been the last 20 years pal?

2. I've got ITR, don't need ITR2. I'm happy. I have an extra copy of ITR I'm willing to sell.

3. Including Dinant with CDG is a great decision. Only have to pay for shipping once and all the counters for both will match. Similar to Soldiers of the Negus coming out with the Italians. (Or are you mad about that too?)

4. I don't need a new Red Barricades or a new RB map. I only ordered Red Oktober. If they updated the RB map 100 times more people would be pissed off, because they would be 'forced' to buy a new map. Lesser of two evils.

5. Who is Academy Games? Do they publish ASL stuff? If not, they suck and should be avoided any way.
I agree with 98% of what you said. Funny about CH, if everybody that had similar feelings about their products decided to quit ASL, I don't think there would be many ASL players left.

About ordering just Red October, I disagree simply because the reprinted maps from RB will match in color variation perfectly, while if you use the older maps, they've said the colors will be different. Not a big deal, but you get all the errata included into the updated rules section as well and I presume the new rules will be the slightly larger print, easier on the aging eyes. just my .02c worth !!

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well if the OP was just having a bad day, wait until you sober up, the outlook may change. If it's not because of drink, have a couple of stiff ones, perhaps the outlook will improve. If you're looking for empathy, the bar tender will feign that. If you're looking for sympathy, it's in the dictionary (alternative Google Search). If you're serious as a heart attack, too bad, so sad, pass the beer nuts! Oh by the way! Got any good deals on your ASL gear?