Discussion Rd 1 STE Tournament

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
**********WARNING - If you haven't finished Scenario 1 HSG B Guards at Klematina DO NOT PROCEED!!!! ***************

Okay...if you have finished the scenario, and since this is a training ground tournament, lets talk about this scenario!

Either side, any question, tactics, weapons, movement to contact, reinforcement deployment, mines, etc......whatever you want to talk about!

What did you like?

What did you not like?

What do you have questions about?

This is your format to find out anything that you are curious about for this scenario.

Good Hunting.

MR

antonius

Reaction score
Country
ll
I liked the scenario a lot. I played the Russian side and got a minor victory (so far the only Russian victory). I liked the force composition and the map. I decided to keep my armour back behind the low ridge and advance my infantry very slowly towards the village, one platoon crawling and then resting in turn while being covered by other platoons and the machine guns which I had postioned on higher ground. Most of my infantry reached the edge of the village without taking fire. I figured that I would rather risk being too slow to capture the village than have my force wiped out early. My opponent attacked my right flank/rear. This was a shock but I sent infantry reserves and some of my tanks over to deal with them, safely out of sight of any AT guns/armour in the village. I think I wiped out two German platoons on my right and by the time that fight was over my main force was at the edge of the village. I lost some men in the minefield and then there was heavy fighting for the village. I still held my tanks back in hull down postions for supporting fire, except for my T34s which joined the attack from my right. Casualties were heavy but I eventually set fire to the church and occupied the area around the flag. The narrowest of victories was achieved after about 4 extra turns. My opponent's STUG did much damage to my attackers but ran out of ammunition towards the last turn.

Last edited:

Rickie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played Russain side, and lost. But still enjoyed this scenario quite a bit. I advanced infantry toward village fairly slowly. tried to use mortar fire in area mode to supress German fire. concnetrated on vilage until I spotted trench works on right flank, then targeted that.

Infantry on right flank was slowed, first by a German platoon coming from the area of the cemetary, I handled that platoon, but it caused a delay on right flank. When my right flank started to return to the advance on the village, it started taking fire from German units in the trenches on my right. I advanced my light tanks slightly behind my infantry.

Good positioning of a German AT gun resulted in me losing half my tanks before they had a chance to do anything. I still made it to edge of village in reasonable good order, but then got really chewed up by mine fields.

Regrouped, advanced remaining tanksto deal with AT gun and Stug, but was unable to capture the village.

Actually really enjoyed this game, in spite of losing.

Rick

Stndrtnfhr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Round 1

I played as the Germans and won. I deployed one plt in the brush just below the woods on my left flank. They took out one light tank with rifle grenades, first time I have seen that, and accounted for a few enemy but generally were mainly a distraction before they were wiped out.
One AT gun was in a trench in the brush next to the church and the other in a trench way back keyholed behind the village. They took out the rest of the light armor but did nothing to the T-34s. Both T-34s fell to infantry.
The two spotters were the main reason I won, as they accounted for over half of the soviet casualites.
My opponent forced me to deploy the platoon I kept in reserve on setup earlier than planned. They snuck into the brush behind the church and hid. My opponent tried to rush a T-34 behind the church and luckily for me, the plt had just gotten into position. That T-34 rolled right through an AT minefield without suffering any damage.
The Stug, played almost no role and was quickly KO'd by the last T-34. It shot first, hit and ricocheted. That was the end of him. The reserve plt that arrived was rushed to the church and really helped keep the Soviet infantry out of the village.
One plt was deployed in the church and the last in the village behind AP minefields. They were able to deal with the stragglers that got through the artillery barrage and mines, although they suffered about 50% casualties.
The last T-34 rushed the flag at the end because I believe there were not enough Soviet infantry left to get the job done, and it fell to a grenade bundle. I was on the edge of my seat the whole battle as my opponent attacked relentlessly. I thought the avalanche of Reds would never stop. I thought the scenario was well designed and balanced. It was a tough fight to the very end.

Stndrtnfhr Out!

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Overall Viewpoint from MR

This scenario captured my attention because it was around Yelnya. This is the first time the Soviets tried to wrestle away the momentum of the German attack that they were successful. It was due to Hitler sending AG Centers armored formations south, but still, it is what it is.

So, while reading the combat narratives on the actions in and around Yelnya one thing kept coming up. The brush in the area that both sides complained about.

The key to winning this battle IMO is how well you use the brush. If you get the Soviet troops close enough with few losses then the fight for this village more often than not will go their way.

Having said that the Germans are far from defenseless as the tournament saw.

The engineer obstacles can be substantial if used right. Having been a combat engineer in a past life I can tell you the biggest mistake gamers make with engineer obstacles is abandonment.

In todays world, engineer obstacles of all kinds are defended with observation and fire! A minefield is not just laid and left but watched. Most gamers in this scenario I think put their mines where they could see them.

Of course, the Germans are going to counterattack! This is the Eastern Front after all! This is where the worlds armies learned the art of the modern counterattack! And they have a substantial force to do it with in this scenario.

The T-34's are next to being monsters in this game! You have to plan skillfully AND get lucky to get them!

The scenario comes down to this.....

Soviet Advantages: T-34's, brush, the normal advantage in numbers.

German Advantages: Dug in defenders, mines, the normal better quality troops.

Those are my overall thoughts...

Good Hunting.

MR

Last edited:

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I decided to keep my armour back behind the low ridge and advance my infantry very slowly towards the village, one platoon crawling and then resting in turn while being covered by other platoons and the machine guns which I had postioned on higher ground.
I move my infantry with a combination of move and run orders. I give move orders for twice as far as I give run orders so as not to tire them out. I keep my infantry fairly bunched so I can keep them all in command range. Take a unit and do an LOF check to any part of the village....where that LOF line turns black and shows blocked is where it is safe to do whatever kind of movement you like. He can't see you if you can't see him!

Most of my infantry reached the edge of the village without taking fire. I figured that I would rather risk being too slow to capture the village than have my force wiped out early.
I'm not sure I agree with this. Moving quickly when it is safe is worth turns to you. Turns that will give you options later! Just make darn sure that you are in a safe zone. If you're not you will have some pinned troops and LTS (less than a squad) casualties!

My opponent attacked my right flank/rear. This was a shock but I sent infantry reserves and some of my tanks over to deal with them, safely out of sight of any AT guns/armour in the village. I think I wiped out two German platoons on my right and by the time that fight was over my main force was at the edge of the village.
It was a good idea for the your German opponent to try to disrupt your attack. The Soviets are hard to get to move in 1941. That is actually why this scenario was chosen for round 1. If you can fight with 1941 Soviets you can fight with ANYBODY!! Still they can win if you use their strengths!

I lost some men in the minefield and then there was heavy fighting for the village. I still held my tanks back in hull down postions for supporting fire, except for my T34s which joined the attack from my right. Casualties were heavy but I eventually set fire to the church and occupied the area around the flag. The narrowest of victories was achieved after about 4 extra turns. My opponent's STUG did much damage to my attackers but ran out of ammunition towards the last turn.
Most veteran players would bring that church down as the number one priority! I did everytime I played this during playtests! Take away the Germans main position. Make him use the rubble if he wants to. The T-34's in most of our playtests by veteran players sat back and pounded any known German position. The Germans can't stop that from happening. It can be a game winning strategy depending on how the mines and Soviet infantry attacks go!

Good Hunting.

MR

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I advanced infantry toward village fairly slowly. tried to use mortar fire in area mode to supress German fire. concnetrated on vilage until I spotted trench works on right flank, then targeted that.
I personally, NEVER use ammo on something I can't see, unless it's artillery. More often than not, I use my artillery for smoke. I think I get a bigger bang for the buck by allowing my artillery to hide me than with the HE values. BUT, that doesn't matter here since the Soviets don't have artillery. I wouldn't fire mortars in area suppression. But that's just me. Maybe, your opponent will come on here and tell you how effective that tactic was....

I would target trenches, AFTER, they show me that they're occupied. A BIG, BIG, BIG ruse is to have unoccupied trenches! The enemy will almost always open fire on trenches. Just as you did! Empty trenches can absorb a lot of damage while staying empty!

Infantry on right flank was slowed, first by a German platoon coming from the area of the cemetary, I handled that platoon, but it caused a delay on right flank. When my right flank started to return to the advance on the village, it started taking fire from German units in the trenches on my right. I advanced my light tanks slightly behind my infantry.
Good tactic! Send the infantry out front! Your tanks are valuable! The enemy doesn't like them! He will try to kill them! Try to have your infantry help keep them alive!

Good positioning of a German AT gun resulted in me losing half my tanks before they had a chance to do anything. I still made it to edge of village in reasonable good order, but then got really chewed up by mine fields.
All the good planning in the world sometimes doesn't work. A plan is only good until the first shot! That AT Gun changed your whole plan in short order! Thing is, once he has opened fire, you can deal with him! Best way to deal with an AT Gun, if you can get to him, is overrun him! Fire MG's at him and overrun him! Get within a certain distance and the crew will abandon the gun. An ARMORED vehicle, ANY ARMORED VEHICLE, even one with no functioning gun, or no ammo left, will kill an AT Gun by overrun!

The next best thing, is to area fire, as close to the guns location as you can! Firing at the gun will have your fire stop when the gun crew gets suppressed and hides from you! Area fire allows you to keep firing at that gun whether they hide or not!

Regrouped, advanced remaining tanksto deal with AT gun and Stug, but was unable to capture the village.
You have to continue to move that infantry forward. 95% of all battles you will fight will be won by the PBI!! Yes, that's right, the POOR BLOODY INFANTRY!!! Not the nice flashy, neat to play with, tanks!

Have your tanks put your infantry in a position to win, and you will more times than not!

Good Hunting.

MR

Last edited:

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I deployed one plt in the brush just below the woods on my left flank. They took out one light tank with rifle grenades, first time I have seen that, and accounted for a few enemy but generally were mainly a distraction before they were wiped out.
Flanking fire is a great idea! Whether on defense or offense! Rifle grenades work well in 1941! Not so well later BUT they will ALWAYS take out halftracks, AT Guns, and at times bunkers!

The defender is playing with the clock. It's the fourth quarter and you're ahead in points but just barely. The other guy has the ball and it's their play! If you can hold on long enough you'll win! He has to pass your starting point total to do that. Run out the clock on the attacker and you'll win.

The VERY FIRST THING I DO when starting a scenario is take a look at my forces and decide if I can defend all of the flags. If some are way out and going to isolate any force I send out there I may give that flag away. Even if it's worth 300 points. How many attackers can I kill with that AT Gun amd engineer squad reinforcing the defense at another flag? If it may be worth 300 points or even 100 points for a small one then I may defend selectively. If there are only large flags on the map and 4 or less of them then you better defend them all! There could be three dummies and one that is worth as much as 2000 points.

One AT gun was in a trench in the brush next to the church and the other in a trench way back keyholed behind the village. They took out the rest of the light armor but did nothing to the T-34s. Both T-34s fell to infantry.
You were extremely lucky! A veteran gamer wouldn't let your infantry get close enough to assault his T-34s and he would pound your positions! I'm not sure I would open fire against the light armor if I knew that there were T-34's on the map. Once I identify that there are T-34's on the map that changes the battle for me! They are very dominant during the early fighting and can be a game winning weapons system if used right! Much like the Tiger I's later in the war. AND most T-34's in scenarios carry cannister! The absolute most devastating weapon in CM against infantry!

The two spotters were the main reason I won, as they accounted for over half of the soviet casualites.
Artillery has been the main killer in wars since it was designed! No suprise there! Keeping those spotters alive can sometimes be exciting....

My opponent forced me to deploy the platoon I kept in reserve on setup earlier than planned. They snuck into the brush behind the church and hid. My opponent tried to rush a T-34 behind the church and luckily for me, the plt had just gotten into position. That T-34 rolled right through an AT minefield without suffering any damage.
Minefields are not a guaranteed kill. Usually, but even then they can just immobilize a tank and make them mad!!!

The Stug, played almost no role and was quickly KO'd by the last T-34. It shot first, hit and ricocheted. That was the end of him. The reserve plt that arrived was rushed to the church and really helped keep the Soviet infantry out of the village.
The reserves are there for your counterattack. BOTH SIDES WILL IN RUSSIA!!! Expect it. The forces will only do as well as you direct them. In this case the StuG was taken out early. BUT it fired first. That is all you can ask! It wasn't ambushed without getting a shot.

One plt was deployed in the church and the last in the village behind AP minefields. They were able to deal with the stragglers that got through the artillery barrage and mines, although they suffered about 50% casualties.
The fact that you lost about half your forces shows the fighting was intense. Your opponent apparently just missed getting into your final defensive positions. The best laid plans....both his, and yours, by that time were in a shambles!

The last T-34 rushed the flag at the end because I believe there were not enough Soviet infantry left to get the job done, and it fell to a grenade bundle. I was on the edge of my seat the whole battle as my opponent attacked relentlessly. I thought the avalanche of Reds would never stop. I thought the scenario was well designed and balanced. It was a tough fight to the very end.
A single Russian squad could have turned that flag neutral. Never assume that he is out of men enough to force the issue. Maybe you are right. And it takes GOOD ORDER troops to move forward. Pinning, breaking or routing his force is as good as killing them to stop the attack!

Then this scenario did it's job. It was supposed to be intense. Those that play my scenarios know that is what I strive for. It was meant to go down to the wire. Apparently that happened too. Again, a fine razor edge balance is what I strive to accomplish.

But most of all it was a tough fight down to the very end!!!! That is all I can ask of my scenarios!

Good Hunting.

MR

Gen Schmaeter

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mad Russian:

I just played the first two battles of HSG Over the Terek OP. You are brutal, sir.

This was no different.

I'll post my comments later.

Stndrtnfhr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ste Round 1

You were extremely lucky! A veteran gamer wouldn't let your infantry get close enough to assault his T-34s and he would pound your positions! I'm not sure I would open fire against the light armor if I knew that there were T-34's on the map. Once I identify that there are T-34's on the map that changes the battle for me! They are very dominant during the early fighting and can be a game winning weapons system if used right! Much like the Tiger I's later in the war. AND most T-34's in scenarios carry cannister! The absolute most devastating weapon in CM against infantry!

Good Hunting.

MR

Mad Russian, you are absolutely correct regarding the luck part. I checked the battlefield at the end and there were no Soviet squads in good order even close to the flag. A couple of MG teams were in the process of moving up but that was all that was left. I believe my opponent got close with the T-34s because his infantry was shattered, and he had no other option to capture the flag. The AT guns fell to the T-34s after they took out the light armor, nothing much left for them to do at that point. I agree completly with the comment about the Stug, all you can ask for is the first shot. He was waiting in ambush but did not survive, that is war. I really appreciated the after action comments, thanks for taking the time. All point filed for future reference.

Stndrtnfhr Out!

neon

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Infantry on right flank was slowed, first by a German platoon coming from the area of the cemetary.....
That was my biggest mistake I made during our game Rick. Trying to send a single platoon on a flake attack, trying to break down your attack. What was I thinking! :hmmm: There were totally wipe out.

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mad Russian:

I just played the first two battles of HSG Over the Terek OP. You are brutal, sir.

This was no different.

I'll post my comments later.
Ha,ha,ha......brutal huh?

I look forward to your finishing Over the Terek and seeing your final comments on it.

I believe that Stndrtnfhr has also played Over the Terek, and left a series of comments, but not a review, on the scenario. After you're finished you may find his comments on the battle interesting as well.

Good Hunting.

MR

Last edited:

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That was my biggest mistake I made during our game Rick. Trying to send a single platoon on a flake attack, trying to break down your attack. What was I thinking! :hmmm: There were totally wipe out.

Trying to disrupt an attack with too few forces is always a mistake. It can always be done, it's just a question of timing and commitment. Can your men hold on long enough without being needed somewhere else before they attack the flank?

Infantry attacks that destroy armor would be very worth the effort! If you could move up behind a T-34 and take it out pretty much any cost would be worth it.

Even losing every man of the disrupting force would be acceptable to me to take out one of the T-34's! But that is just me. Your own tactics may not place as high a priority on killing T-34's as mine do.

If the target is infantry ALWAYS shoot the leaders! Without them the squads become very brittle. At the very least your opponent will have to spend time shifting his other leaders around to cover the loss.

Good Hunting.

MR

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The AT guns fell to the T-34s after they took out the light armor, nothing much left for them to do at that point. I agree completly with the comment about the Stug, all you can ask for is the first shot. He was waiting in ambush but did not survive, that is war. I really appreciated the after action comments, thanks for taking the time. All point filed for future reference.

Stndrtnfhr Out!
That was my point. Once I find out if there are T-34's against me, I ALWAYS plan for their demise, as my first order of business. Early in the war, unless you have Tigers, the T-34's are no less than equal to what you have.

Against infantry forces that cannister can prove deadly. So, in the scenario, when I playtested it as the Germans, and I knew there were T-34's, which is something you should always assume, I set my defense to handle them.

Any defense you setup to handle T-34's that doesn't have to face them, but a lesser threat, will do VERY WELL against the lesser threat.

The axiom, "Hope for the best and plan for the worst", definately applies to the Germans in the early war years concerning T-34's.

I'm telling you, that if you think that T-34's are not what their reputation, as being a tough tank, is undeserved, you will learn the hard way that it is. The T-34's are VERY HARD to kill with Door Knockers...from the front!!! You can easily kill a T-34 with a 37mm from the side or rear. So, set your defense up to allow you to get those shots. The greatest threat to T-34's early are PzIII's with the 50mm gun, even the short version, and most of all infantry with a grenade bundle!

You guys are here to learn. How beneficial is it, if we just let you play the game, and try to figure out what happened on your own? Somewhat, but it's not as good as your being able to then come back, and ask questions, to see how you might have done things differently.

My comments about the T-34 do not reflect your game play in this scenario. I am only trying to emphasize, to everyone reading this post, the extreme importance of that tank when it faces your German forces! They are tough! And they can and will beat you!

Are the Soviets hard to play? Usually much harder than an equal number of Germans...points wise...but can they win? Oh, yes they can! Don't get over confident as the German player with all the nice neat little toys. There is not a weapons system in the game that can't be beaten. Scenario 3 of this tournament should prove that out.

We shall see....:eek:

Good Hunting.

MR

Gen Schmaeter

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A study of the terrain revealed that the far left side of the map (from the Allied perspective) could not be targeted from the right.

I decided to concentrate the majority of my forces there. Once they turned into the village, they would only have to deal with the enemy's forces defending that side of the village.

I set up two mortar packs spotted for by HQs with great LOS to most of the town.

I also sent two platoons spread out across the map to serve as a screen. My reasoning was-- if he thought my approach was down the middle (as he would see these forces first) he might divert forces from the left flank, making it easier for me to get a foothold in the village.

A few of my tanks were in overwatch from the rear, ready to demolish the church and other structures. I set up on a broad front to provide cover for most of the town.

The result was a minor victory. I was able to overpower his defenders on the left side of village with the sheer number of my attacking forces. I only had to deal with one AT gun, since the second was covering the front of the village and had no LOS to my tanks on the left.

Unfortunately, I made a number of mistakes. I used my mortars prematurely on infantry targets instead of on the still-hidden AT guns. My off-map HE I used as smoke, which landed WAY off target (despite direct LOS to the target).

I took waaaay too long to start the attack, and once I did, I made some rushed moves with my tanks that the AT gun took advantage of. In the end, my infantry was able to pin the gun, allowing the tanks to blast it.

The screen forces were a waste. They lacked the firepower to weaken the axis forces on the right and on the center, and could have been used on the left to increase depth.

I'm surprised that so few Allied players managed a victory on this one.

Overall, mine was a well thought out plan with some execution problems.

Above all, I should have been more aggressive and more committed on the left flank; also, I should have been more patient with the HE.

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A study of the terrain revealed that the far left side of the map (from the Allied perspective) could not be targeted from the right.

I decided to concentrate the majority of my forces there. Once they turned into the village, they would only have to deal with the enemy's forces defending that side of the village.
Smart thinking. What can't be seen can't be hit.

I set up two mortar packs spotted for by HQs with great LOS to most of the town.
It took me along time before I started using spotters for my mortars in my own game play. This is a GREAT tactic and one that pays off well most of the time.

I also sent two platoons spread out across the map to serve as a screen. My reasoning was-- if he thought my approach was down the middle (as he would see these forces first) he might divert forces from the left flank, making it easier for me to get a foothold in the village.
This I don't think was such a good idea. Put your forces together to allow you overwhelming firepower when you can get it. I'm not saying that you can't split off a force to do a misdirection or mistiming attack. Both of these can be quite effective. Just keep your main forces together to bring down fire on his positions that will eventually break the defender and force him to reinforce that position to stop you. This will allow the misdirection/mistiming attack a greater chance for success.

A few of my tanks were in overwatch from the rear, ready to demolish the church and other structures. I set up on a broad front to provide cover for most of the town.
You play against me get ready to have your village layout redone. I WILL DESTROY HOUSES/CHURCHES/SHACKS/BUILDINGS!!!!! There are two reasons for this. First and foremost your defenders are in them. Second, and as important they make instant smoke screens. A rubbled house will effectively give you cover for at least a turn when it falls down. I will keep some houses intact until I want them to create an LOS block for me when I get ready to assault the positions.

The result was a minor victory. I was able to overpower his defenders on the left side of village with the sheer number of my attacking forces. I only had to deal with one AT gun, since the second was covering the front of the village and had no LOS to my tanks on the left.
I normally attack a single flag with most of my force. I want that flag. Only one. After that I'll defend it and go after another one. The defender is trying to hold them all. It may not be obvious which one you are going for. If that is the case then his defenders are split between them. Going for only one flag concentrates your forces at the same time it splits his.

Unfortunately, I made a number of mistakes. I used my mortars prematurely on infantry targets instead of on the still-hidden AT guns. My off-map HE I used as smoke, which landed WAY off target (despite direct LOS to the target).
The FO must not be hidden or in any state of suppression except normal. IF he is hidded, cautious, shaken, pinned, broken, panicked or cannot see the target with an unobstructed LOS the fire/smoke will scatter. I often use the off map artillery as smoke.

I took waaaay too long to start the attack, and once I did, I made some rushed moves with my tanks that the AT gun took advantage of. In the end, my infantry was able to pin the gun, allowing the tanks to blast it.
Finding the guns can be difficult with a good PATIENT defender. They don't want you finding and killing their guns until they have done tremendous damage to your tank force.

[QUOTE} The screen forces were a waste. They lacked the firepower to weaken the axis forces on the right and on the center, and could have been used on the left to increase depth. [/QUOTE]

I agree.

I'm surprised that so few Allied players managed a victory on this one.
Me too.

Overall, mine was a well thought out plan with some execution problems.
The best laid plan is only good until the first shot. Then you have to be able to adjust the plan to still succeed. You did that so the plan was successful.

Above all, I should have been more aggressive and more committed on the left flank; also, I should have been more patient with the HE.
These are things that will come more easily with more exerience. Recognizing that you were a bit slow in the attack and where the attack should have gone in are the main things to learn here.

You did good.

Good Hunting.

MR

Gen Schmaeter

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
John Powderly will soon feel the wrath of my growing experience!!

Bring on Round 3!

Kineas

Colonel General
Reaction score
Country
llHungary
The setup for the German defense wasn't easy, I couldn't really figure out the attack direction.

Since I was playing against a human opponent I expected fancy flanking manoeuvres, so I put a platoon to the 'cemetery hill'. I gave them a trench, a TRP, and the LMG squad in good position. The trench was in the woods towards me, the platoon had a nice 100m open field before them. The idea was to cause a significant slowdown to my opponent, or to make a nasty side-attack if he had just directly attacked the village.

Another trench was in the middle, between the 2story building and the roadcross, with a platoon. I suspected the attack coming from this direction. The guys here also could support the cemetery trench.

The third trench was a 'heavy weapon' trench at the south end of the map, with good LOS. It contained a HMG, a mortar, a platoon leader, and near to it in a foxhole a 37mm ATG. I was worried about an attack from my right (from the watered area), so the idea was to flank tanks going down that route.

Mainly because of this fear I put two HMGs in the big building, watching the road on my right. In the village near the flags were two platoons, each squads in houses.

Then the game began, my sniper spotted the T34s early, and I saw our scenario designer really loves the challenging situations. But I had luck because a lot of things went according to my plan and my opponent didn't exploited my mistakes. (Well, we are noobs aren't we). He sent 1-2 platoons and the two T34s to the cemetery. But this force was engaged there throughout the entire game, he couldn't even take the trench. He didn't area fired, the T34 started the heavy firing too late.

His main forces attacked on a wide front from the NE direction. My ATG picked off a light tank early, which made my opponent very cautios with his tanks. He didn't area fire the big building (or any building at all), and my HMGs were firing all the time. If he had attacked from the North my HMGs wouldn't have had LOS to there because of the trees next to the building.

I was able to call in arty strikes in contested areas, at the end my 2 spotters caused 45 inf casualties and got 2 light tanks. The reinf Stug made a short duel with a T34 (5 misses), then fast forwarded to a covered position next to the big building, and started to shoot his inf and light tanks from close range. Then the match was over.

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The setup for the German defense wasn't easy, I couldn't really figure out the attack direction.
That was intentional.

Since I was playing against a human opponent I expected fancy flanking manoeuvres, so I put a platoon to the 'cemetery hill'. I gave them a trench, a TRP, and the LMG squad in good position. The trench was in the woods towards me, the platoon had a nice 100m open field before them. The idea was to cause a significant slowdown to my opponent, or to make a nasty side-attack if he had just directly attacked the village.

Another trench was in the middle, between the 2story building and the roadcross, with a platoon. I suspected the attack coming from this direction. The guys here also could support the cemetery trench.

The third trench was a 'heavy weapon' trench at the south end of the map, with good LOS. It contained a HMG, a mortar, a platoon leader, and near to it in a foxhole a 37mm ATG. I was worried about an attack from my right (from the watered area), so the idea was to flank tanks going down that route.

Mainly because of this fear I put two HMGs in the big building, watching the road on my right. In the village near the flags were two platoons, each squads in houses.
Sounds like a good enough setup to me.

and I saw our scenario designer really loves the challenging situations.
I have no idea what you're talking about....

Then the game began, my sniper spotted the T34s early... But I had luck because a lot of things went according to my plan and my opponent didn't exploited my mistakes. (Well, we are noobs aren't we). He sent 1-2 platoons and the two T34s to the cemetery. But this force was engaged there throughout the entire game, he couldn't even take the trench. He didn't area fired, the T34 started the heavy firing too late.
When I want to take out a target with tanks, I normally area fire as close as I can get to the target. Infantry and guns have a bad habit of disappearing on you. If they do that breaks the targeting lock you have on them and when they reappear 6 seconds later you have to reacquire them all over again...with an area fire order that doesn't happen!

His main forces attacked on a wide front from the NE direction. My ATG picked off a light tank early, which made my opponent very cautios with his tanks. He didn't area fire the big building (or any building at all), and my HMGs were firing all the time. If he had attacked from the North my HMGs wouldn't have had LOS to there because of the trees next to the building.
Again, firing against buildings will create the same effect as smoke rounds when the building rubbles. That will often give you the cover you need to move forward without taking any fire from the defense.

I was able to call in arty strikes in contested areas, at the end my 2 spotters caused 45 inf casualties and got 2 light tanks. The reinf Stug made a short duel with a T34 (5 misses), then fast forwarded to a covered position next to the big building, and started to shoot his inf and light tanks from close range. Then the match was over.
Artillery is always the big killer if you get it where it is needed!

You make a good point earlier....that your opponent didn't take advantage of your mistakes. Often battles, electronic or real, are won by the person who makes the least amount of mistakes! Not the guy that played flawlessly..unless you're NL....

So, when you recognize that your opponent is off balance do what you can to keep him that way and throw his plan out of order and keep it that way!!!!

Good Hunting.

MR

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Allied General Information Sheet

Here is the Allied Information Sheet that was sent to all Allied players at the start of the round.

HSG B Guards At Klematina Soviet

Type: Soviet Attack
Date: 8 August, 1941

This is the battle that resulted in the first Soviet unit earning the title of Guards.

Soviet Lessons To Learn:

 To move Conscript and Green infantry over minimum cover ground and attack German positions. To do this you must give the infantry constant movement orders. The platoons must be kept together within command control of the Soviet platoon leaders. When squads are broken by German fire you must rally those that are broken using your higher level leaders. Company commanders or Commissars. The Commissar is the most important unit in your OOB. Do not lose him!

 To move the Conscript and Green Soviet armor you must determine where you want it to go you have to give your orders early and with a minimum of changes. The more way-points you use the bigger the delay that will result in their starting actually executing the orders. The short cut cheat on that is to give the shortest number of way-points you can to get the tanks started moving then add the rest to the route “after” they have started moving.

 The terrain should ALWAYS be looked at down on ground level for the entire map. This map is no exception. You need to know where every nook and cranny is! You don’t want to walk you forces across open ground any further than you have to against German defensive fire! And while this map looks devoid of cover it is far from it. The brush on this map will allow you to move your forces forward either in rushes or by sneaking them with minimum exposure to German defensive fire.

To win this scenario I believe that you will have to use combined arms at it’s toughest! However, learn to use Conscript and Green units over ground with limited cover and imagine what you can do with good experience units. 1941 is the hardest time period for using Soviet forces and once you learn to use those you can use the rest with relative ease!

Welcome to my version of the Russian Front.

Good Hunting..

Mad Russian.