Discussion Rd 1 STE Tournament

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Axis General Informatino Sheet

Here is the Axis Information Sheet that was sent to all Allied players at the start of the round.

HSG B Guards At Klematina German

Type: Soviet Attack
Date: 8 August, 1941

This is the battle that resulted in the first Soviet unit earning the title of Guards.

German Lessons To Learn:

 You are about to be attacked by superior numbers of inferior troops. Go figure! You are on the Eastern Front! You must learn to use interlocking defensive fires. That all of your troops must be in command control. Use the experience and abundance of German leadership to your best advantage.

 Once your defense is set you must learn to override the natural option of second guessing yourself and moving it before combat takes place. DO NOT DO THIS!!! You must set your defense and then see how the attacker chooses to solve the problem! Once the attack commits his forces and you can see if he has chosen a solution you didn’t foresee, then you can adjust the defense…if you can. Be aware that German combat tactics involved an immediate counterattack, You will have forces made available during the fighting for retaking lost positions.

 Set you positional defenses up with some thought in mind. Where do you want trenches and why? They can be seen at about 200 meters but not identified as to whether they are occupied or not until much closer. Where do you put your anti-tank guns? That question alone can win or lose this scenario. The mines will not win or lose the scenario outright but if you can breakup the attack wave or stall it for a couple of turns that could be the difference. Rarely will mines, bunkers, trenches or wire ever win a scenario outright. What they will do is make the attacker have to make up for lost time moving through them. Or in the case of vehicles where they get immobilized and may be taken out of the fight altogether if out of LOS.

 Your artillery is of the utmost importance. Again not so much to cause casualties as to drive the attack wave to ground. Where you put the TRP’s is very important and as any other factor. Do you put them out offensively? Or in tight on defense? Your call and either can be effective if used right and catastrophic if used wrong.

 The terrain should ALWAYS be looked at down on ground level for the entire map. This map is no exception. You need to know where every nook and cranny is! You don’t want the Soviets to walk their forces right up to your defensive line unobserved. The quicker you see them the quicker you can bring fire on them. Or not as your plan may call for. Either way you want to know where the Soviet main attack is coming from as soon as you can identify it! And while this map looks devoid of cover it is far from it. The brush on this map will allow the Soviet player to move his forces forward with minimum exposure to German defensive fire if he uses it correctly.

To win this scenario I believe that you will have to use combined arms at it’s toughest! However, learn to use German defensive advantages to their fullest, and you can almost assure yourself a victory. The German advantages of leadership, firepower and instant counterattack with quality troops is a tough combination to beat! It all relies on timing and application.

Welcome to my version of the Russian Front.

Good Hunting..

Mad Russian.

redbear415

Reaction score
Country
llVenezuela
well i playede the germans and i did a very bad set up i loose most of my trops for that but i got to manage a minor defeat. I have leanar that in a defensive position the setup is all.

It si really inportant !

mangus2000

Reaction score
Country
ll
well i playede the germans and i did a very bad set up i loose most of my trops for that but i got to manage a minor defeat. I have leanar that in a defensive position the setup is all.

It si really inportant !
With A/D games the set up is a very important phase of the game, you need to put yourself in the oppo's shoes and as MR said get down to ground level for every nook and cranny.
Me and MR are playing the first two games at the moment, i'll try and keep some reports goimg when the action hots up; still moving to contact at the mo.

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

It si really inportant !

I think the ability to modify a plan is the single most important thing in a combat situation. Both in CM and in real life. The attacker often has the abiltiy to shift his forces around and he tries to make it where the defender can't.

If the defender can keep a reserve, no matter how small, it can often be the difference between winning and losing. Most premade scenarios will bring in your reserve for you as a reinforcement. Not always.

This scenario has the disadvantage that the Germans are in the village or near it and there is little cover for them to move in while the Soviets can move almost completely unseen.

Good Hunting.

MR