Discussion about unrealistic combat in TOAW III

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
I learned a lot from from reading Bob Cross analysis of the combat in question. I will not presume to question the data or the calculations of the modifiers.

I can think of plenty of examples where small, well led units held against much larger enemy formations for extended periods of time. Thermopylae was one, the finnish winter war another.

My feel (this is a hunch no hard data:D) after playing the same scenarios in both COW and TOAW 3, was that high proficiency units became increasingly strong after the migration to TOAWIII.

One difference I can think of, is that the penalty for putting ART and other ranged units in tactical reserve is less in TOAWIII as they no longer advance into the attacked hexes as they did in COW. But this advantage is mainly defensive in nature, and I found that the improved performance was in the offense as well.

I look forward to seeing what the removal of the bug Ralph found, will do for the gameplay.

Do anyone know if the combat algoritm or readiness calculation was changed during the migration from COW to TOAWIII?

ralphtrickey

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Do anyone know if the combat algoritm or readiness calculation was changed during the migration from COW to TOAWIII?
Yes, there was the semi-mythical 1.08 patch for COW that was never released. I think that the big thing that it did was to modify the AT algorithm to allow for side-hits. There's no way to tell for sure exacltly what was changed there.

Ralph

Olorin4

Generalfeldmarschall
Reaction score
Country
llGreece
Again, it feels more and more like you're sticking to your guns for the sake of sticking to them, when you've already achieved a code review by Ralph :nuts:
Point taken. There is no point in arguing any more, I've said that before. Let's just chill...and wait for the patch.