Direct Fire

switch_back

Reaction score
Country
ll
When I set a direct fire zone why is it, despite having LOS alot of my units mostly decide not to open fire on the targets I specify?

I must be missing something somewhere on the operation of the DF zone.. :cheeky:

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In TacOps, units only fire direct fire when they have a technically reasonable chance of killing a vehicle or killing or suppressing a dismounted infantry unit at the range, angle, and situation of the instant. For example, a T55 tank will not fire against the frontal armor of an M1 tank except perhaps at point blank range.

In every direct fire engagement by a given unit marker, there is also a low random chance that one or more or all of the teams/squads or one or more or all of the vehicles in the marker will not fire even when technically qualified to do so. The probablility of this happening increases in rough terrain.

It can also happen that enemy markers which are still shown to the player on his screen may not still be actually visible to any of his units. A unit marker may sometimes be shown on the screen slightly after it is no longer actually visible to any enemy units.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another occurance of units not firing on apparently visible enemies is related to recon teams.

Recon teams get a spotting bonus and see enemies in cover better than normal units.

EDIT: in other words: if there is a visible enemy unit on your screen a recon team may have spotted it and any non-recon unit in the area might not see it and hence not fire on it, even if in range.

Last edited: