Direct connect?

MDavout

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The server was slow last night and we ended a playtest game early because of it.

I have posted elsewhere but never got an answer so I am hoping someone can tell me what I need to do for a direct connect to my opponent versus going through the Vassal server.

I know if a connection can't be made you have an option pop up but never managed to get that to work either.

Help?!

Mark

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've never done it, but FWIU, you can disconnect from the net (unplug your RJ45 cable or phone line to the modem), click to go online in VASSAL. You'll get that pop up box. Then, reconnect to the net and type in your opponents IP address. Supposedly you connect. Again, untested. Perhaps someone with more experience can elaborate on the process.

Oberst_Hero

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Confirmation...

I've never done it, but FWIU, you can disconnect from the net (unplug your RJ45 cable or phone line to the modem), click to go online in VASSAL. You'll get that pop up box. Then, reconnect to the net and type in your opponents IP address. Supposedly you connect. Again, untested. Perhaps someone with more experience can elaborate on the process.
Yeah, i had that happen by accident (anti-everything software/firewalling grabs everything and scans everything forcing non-Window games to suddenly cut out). so i hit my lan icon in the taskbar to a 'disabled' setting.

I forgot of course and started the vasl from the desktop pif (if you have a motherboard like ASUS, there is a software AI program 'Real Time' lan on/off switch which works quickly and acts as an emergency stop to all Lan activity)

--then the server window opened normally, except that there was only the main room with myself.
--i would imagine that the little options box that comes up, and as well points out your IP addy to you, would guide either alias into placing their guest(s) into the main waiting area much as the server version does.

I have a PC game that is nearly identical and once you type in the info into the pop up box, the rest falls into place, and into the more familiar Create Room options.

PM/eMail me if you'd like to try it out, we could also test out which firewall settings kill the game. I use VASL (VASL - Play Advanced Squad Leader over the Internet! then navigate after clicking the Downloads link) and using their page allows you to start the game program without having to install to the hard drive. (very up to date as well).

Oberst/

Swampwallaby

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
FWIW Version 3.0 of Vassal is slated to include a complete reqork of the server code that will enable

a) people to run their own VASSAL servers
b) easy access to connect direct peer-to-peer

Cheers,
Brent.

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've since done a direct connection. Fairly straight forward- host disconnects from the net (unplug the ethernet cable might be the easiest) and then you'll get the connection box.

One thing to note is that (IIRC), it gives you your internal IP address (localhost - something like 192.168.1.xxx) so you'll want to get your external IP to give to your playing opponent. I use WhatIsMyIP.com - 207.210.230.202 to get that. Your router software will tell you also if you log into it.

I believe that I also had to forward the port# that VASSAL uses to allow the connection. Don't have that port# handy but you see it when you get the direct connect dialog box.

And what Brent just posted pretty much nullifies what I just posted once 3.0 comes out. :) Can't wait!