DINANT

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The other bit of good news is that almost all the railroads are either GL or EL, only three or four hexes of EM, but yes, mostly reiterating the existing rules.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And I would imagine there are EmRR hexes there because for that 200m-odd of RR, the terrain is better suited to EmRR than ELRR or GLRR! Fidelity, baby!
I'm sure that's true, although presumably the terrain would be BEST suited to a new, custom terrain made only for Dinant. The same is also true of literally every hex on the board. Thankfully, playability/sanity intervened, so we don't have unique TEM/LOS/movement/kindling/etc rules for every individual building. Instead, they are grouped into two categories (wood and stone) that ASLers all know and are familiar with. Ditto woods, orchards, etc.

It seems likely to me that converting all RR to GLRR or ELRR would have been a similarly good call.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I don't have Chapter F.
My advice:
  • Try to get hold of the ASL Pocket Rulebook from MMP, which includes Chapters A-G.
  • If that is not an option, search the internet for the 'Vernacular Chapter F' - maybe it can also be found in the download section of the Texas ASL Club (I didn't check).
von Marwitz

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm holding out for the Italians, or for a two-volume pocket rulebook that contains Chapter H. But I'll check out the Vernacular version, thanks! Plus it sounds like the cognoscenti think I should be more-or-less set with just Chapter DN.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
From my own experience with Hillocks and EmRR they are more terrifying in print than application. I can't remember the exact quote but think of the Dinant EmRR (or Hillock) as a very thick wall but with a lower TEM. If you are "behind" (adjacent to) this wall (the LOS/LOF comes through the art work) versus same level firers you get the TEM, you can also see all the usual hexes in LOS.

That's pretty much the basics. If you stand on the 'wall' you can see what is behind it and what is behind the next wall (real wall, EmRR or Hillock) as well.

If you are entrenched behind an EmRR or Hillock you can only see onto the EmRR in front of you and units at a higher level. As there are only a few EmRR hexes there isn't much need to know about additional EmRRs a few hexes away similar to what the Chapter F example shows for Hillocks.

As Von Maritz notes,... the Pocket RB has Chapter F and the Hillock LOS example is excellent for taming this rule. After seeing the example you'll say "well,...that was easy" ;)

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The Dinant rules then have a whole half-page about EmRR. I can't tell whether these are additional new rules for EmRR that are in addition to whatever is in B/F, or whether you are just putting the existing EmRR rules in one place for people like me who joined the hobby after Chapter F went out of print. Or some middle ground? The real question is: do I need to know what's in Chapter F to figure out EmRR in Dinant?
As others have already written - you don't need (indeed should not use I might even say) the Hillock rules from Chaper F. Chapter DN has all the rules (similar to Chapter FB for Budpest) for the EmRR - specifically included so Chapter F was not a requirement. Also some parts from F6 are not included in DN, since they are not needed.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm sure that's true, although presumably the terrain would be BEST suited to a new, custom terrain made only for Dinant. The same is also true of literally every hex on the board. Thankfully, playability/sanity intervened, so we don't have unique TEM/LOS/movement/kindling/etc rules for every individual building. Instead, they are grouped into two categories (wood and stone) that ASLers all know and are familiar with. Ditto woods, orchards, etc.

It seems likely to me that converting all RR to GLRR or ELRR would have been a similarly good call.
Actually, the way the RR slopes down in that area is the same today as then. El to Em to Gl made the most sense because all three mirrored existing rules, so we went with that. Really nothing more involved than that.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I think Dinant tries to mirror/use existing rules (sometimes with minor tweaks) whenever that was feasible - e.g., the Manhandling rules to get Pontoon Sections off trucks, building stuff using the Clearance rules.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think Dinant tries to mirror/use existing rules (sometimes with minor tweaks) whenever that was feasible - e.g., the Manhandling rules to get Pontoon Sections off trucks, building stuff using the Clearance rules.
Exactly right. Definitely what we are trying to do.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
What was that PC game called. A vital piece of information.
Post Scriptum

available on Steam