DINANT

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On topic...

Ducky, I’ve just been giving you the business about spigot mortars. To me your legacy will always be cemented by Gavutu-Tanambogo and the sheer joy I had while playtesting it.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Indeed. I learned the cave rules by playing one of G-T's scenarios. I then trained my little kids to recite: "Gavutu, Tanambogo, Tulagi, Guadacanal."
One of the ladies in our hiking group and I started talking about WWII movies and which ones we liked and disliked. She didn't like Dunkirk. I asked her, "Why a woman would be interested in WWII movies?" and she said, "My father was a Marine in WWII."

I asked her, "what battles?" and she says, "Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima and Okinawa."

I said, "Wow, the big three. You're lucky that he got back and that you were born." She's says, "Yes, I know..."

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just got my notice from Ritterkrieg that my CDG 2E is on its way. Cant wait to start playing the dinet scenarios. Also look forward to revisting those oldie moldies too.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Looking forwards to getting the real maps out and comparing them to the one I printed for the playtest. I'm expecting quite a few changes to the shore line. We found that particularly problematical.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Love the fact that there are some huge scenarios for Dinant. Both on the historical map and on geoboards. The other 30 re-issued French scenarios that came with this are great too.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Looking forwards to getting the real maps out and comparing them to the one I printed for the playtest. I'm expecting quite a few changes to the shore line. We found that particularly problematical.
Out of curiosity - what were the problems?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
In that sense, we honor each other and that's all I could ever hope for. Just because we disagree, doesn't mean we have to dislike one another. As you say, there is likely far more we agree on than disagree on. I will buy you a beer when next we meet. Hold me to it. -- jim
Right. Before, I promised to buy you a beer next time we meet, too. Maybe we even did this a couple of times. If the friggin' virus doesn't prevent it, we'll have the opportunity next Grenadier. While Michael uttered his reservations about us going political on the occasion, I reckon he has no qualms about us getting drunk on those beers we promised each other - as long as we stand to attention the next morning for the next round of the tournament. With notorious engineered German refinement in an attempt to re-rail this thread, I might say it might be a DINANT scenario...

von Marwitz

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
With notorious engineered German refinement in an attempt to re-rail this thread, I might say it might be a DINANT scenario...
Deal! I hope to see you there. If the weather is up for it, I am hoping to drive. I know it is a little on the long side, but I need to stretch the legs in my BMW. -- jim

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
I remember getting my Rogue Board with the red masses on it. The accompanying scenario pack specified by SSR what that red was, and we knew that for DYO we'd have to designate it as either Level 0 or Level 1.
That's interesting. What variety did the SSRs have?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Secondchancegames shipped it with DHL: it will be at my place on Friday.
They are doing an excellent job, within the growing restrictions of shipment services.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
great overall reply but I took the liberty of snipping a point ...

While I haven't got Dinant on the table yet and may not for some time as I plan on hitting the 3 west front 1940 HASL that have come out recently sequentially as it were and that puts Dinant last I did look long and hard at the map. It is a really good one... but best? Defintely didn't jump out as best and I do have remember several that did in terms of aestetics and apparant tactical playing challenges straight out of the box.

I'd be curous to hear why you do think it best.. and on that note. Perhaps a top 5 HASL maps IYO. I'd be really curious to hear your thoughts.

Dinant is one, what are the other two?