Dinant traffic management

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So Carl says he wants to hold his comments until we are perhaps done with the CG....

What about the rest of you? Given that all but one of the chokepoints I pointed out are narrow streets and can effectively be blocked by killing a lowly truck there and blocking all pontoon access to the river...

Is this a valid gambit for the French?

LDM

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
So Carl says he wants to hold his comments until we are perhaps done with the CG....

What about the rest of you? Given that all but one of the chokepoints I pointed out are narrow streets and can effectively be blocked by killing a lowly truck there and blocking all pontoon access to the river...

Is this a valid gambit for the French?
Short answer: yes.
The bigger question is IF they can. I've had 1 transport and its pontoons immobilized on a narrow street. The profanity is...thick. However, since there's not really a lot I can do about snipers, i carry on. I think the French are really taking a chance at hoping to kill/immobilize enough vehicals to prevent vehical movement and allowing the German freer movement of inf etc at the river. If one, not the other.
On a forward defense, the French appear to be able to do a lot of damage. But if he can see the German, the German can see him.
I'll keep the list informed as to what Gerry does to me in our game...

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I get your point but it's really only 6 kills you have to make, a few more if you don't hit the exact chokepoints I itemized...

That seems doable given all the HIP stuff the French get, think about a MTR... if it can see one of those from a long way away it stays protected but if it doesn't get the first thing to drive by it gets the second... same effect. My MTR in ours is 46 hexes away from the road he just blocked! No German but the planes are going to affect him and the sighting TC is +1 since I'm in trees...

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
I think the Germans need to be prepared to use, and risk, their Mortars, Pz IIs, IVs and 38(t)s to silence positions that can see the river and east bank. Perhaps even exchange them in the process.

Not having the played the Germans yet I can only look at the VCs and what the Germans have. In my view, German infantry is at a premium, they do not have a huge amount (not surprising in a 1940 Pz div), while vehicles are almost expendable until the river is bridged.

I'm only theorising but the Afternoon scenario would appear to still be a matter of clearing the heights of the French while delaying he installation of an 8-ton bridge over the river almost to the last moment.

Maybe burn down some buildings to create smoke?? That should help with the bridging efforts at your chosen point.