Dinant strategic thoughts

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Asking any playtesters out there if anyone tried this theory out.

If you see our AAR Neil started everything beached and I think the only way I might have a chance is because I'm wiping boats off the board, they are EASY to kill while beached.

I'm thinking a better strategy might be to put all the boats back in the town a bit, let the german OBA and firepower clear the ridge line, the shore line and than manhandle all the boats up and cross later in the scenario, maybe not until turn 4 or 5 even...

is that feasible do you think?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I like these discussions of strategy analysis. Every CG has its own properties.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Dennis,... I'm thinking the Germans should do something similar but Large Rafts would be a problem due to the terrain. I was thinking the infantry would set with Small Rafts and Assault Boats in the buildings (only LR are NA in buildings). Any DFPh attacks would have +3 TEM to the unarmoured TK #.

Everyone shoots like mad in the PFPh and, depending on results, launches and loads in the AdvPh (2 MF).

They may not be able to unbeach as that would take a boat 1 MP which, I believe, is not allowed in the AdvPh. That said, DN3.11 does not prohibit an AdvPh un-Beaching as per E5.23.

I left a question in the Dinant thread.

Edit: Klas had added that it looks as if you could launch and un-Beach a boat in the AdvPh so holding the boats back may be a viable tactic if the PFPh and Opp Fire do not yield satisfactory results.

Edit Part Deux: A counter argument to launch/load/un-beach also made in the Dinant thread

Edit Part Three: Counter argument scuppered

Last edited:

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi, in playtest the german firepower basically wiped out any french infantry close enough to shoot at the boats. French OBA is the best way to break up the crossing. IMHO the best french defense is a 'reverse slope'. The germans need to move up the two draws or up the cliffs. Slow them down and bottle them up. Haven't tried it since publication though, so YMMV.
Paul

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Asking any playtesters out there if anyone tried this theory out.

If you see our AAR Neil started everything beached and I think the only way I might have a chance is because I'm wiping boats off the board, they are EASY to kill while beached.

I'm thinking a better strategy might be to put all the boats back in the town a bit, let the german OBA and firepower clear the ridge line, the shore line and than manhandle all the boats up and cross later in the scenario, maybe not until turn 4 or 5 even...

is that feasible do you think?
That approach while available, was not attempted by any playtesters to my knowledge. (The delayed crossing to be clear). They do die most easily beached.

There are a couple of things about the German approach I would have done differently from some of the playtesters I saw, and this one, but don't want to jump in and ruin the fun of figuring this stuff out for yourselves either.

Since Paul's playtest some watering down of the German firepower was done, in no small part due to Paul and I believe Ron's input. It wasn't a massive watering down, but it helped.