Dinant: Rommel on the Meuse

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
We got Turn 3 tucked away this morning as the Germans press the attack. A French 16 FP +1 against approaching German engineers with flamethrowers did nothing as the HS laughed off the 2MC. The Fanatic 468 simply sneered with contempt. The return fire of a 12 FP FT attack at range 2 broke the French 8-0, a 437 w/ ATR and a crew dragging around a malf'd 37* Inf Gun. Thankfully the hero and 458 w/ MMG stood firm to keep the Ave. Franchet d' Esperey covered and Germans confined to rowhouses as they push south, at least for now. Hex LL41 has a French stack (3 units) under ? below the Area acquisition marker contesting the rowhouses. Another 3 unit stack is also in LL42

The French Right (South)

Additional German pressure builds as more troops land and others begin occupying the central lowland area. German artillery has hit the supporting troops below the cliffs as more armour arrives from the north. A German pontoon carrier has arrived and looks poised to start off-loading the 8-ton bridge sections. French artillery missed two attempts to land on target mainly due to LOS Hindrances.

The German Left (South)

To the north the German right is still struggling with traffic as French mortars and snipers make life uncomfortable. No troops have made it across the Meuse to the northern sector as yet despite valiant attempt. Despite this a 3 Raft boat is making another attempt, using the smoke in O22 as cover. German armour is blanketing the western heights with HE and Smoke trying to blind the French observers and spotters.

The German Right

For their part the French left continues to form a hard blocking position denying access to the exits up the Rue de Meez or past the Eglise St Lambert. Troops keep shifting, combining, splitting up again in order to keep the Germans guessing as to just what might be in any position. Now that the armour has arrived from the north the position in Bouvignes-sur-Meuse is well placed to meet whatever attack the Germans may send in this direction.

The French Left

Speaking of armour, the French cavalry are riding to the rescue in the south but are being forced to take torturous routes to get past the multiple roadblocks along the southern exit.

If all goes as planned we should be able to get Turn 4 done tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
We pushed on this morning with turn 4 but as Lee had a very busy turn, we spent about 3.5 hours on the German player turn. As Lee had to take care of other family business this afternoon we had to pause at the start of the French turn.

The map to the north is very busy and Lee asked that I post a couple of shots of the map. As this is midway through a turn there is a lot of smoke on the map that will soon disappear or disperse during the French PFPh (ie: KK22, LL21, LL20, OO32) which opens up some of the LOS currently hindered. An SdKfz 7t was hit by a mortar and destroyed along with its 8-ton pontoons and 248 AE HS. However, the big hit came when it was realised that the Rubble in QQ26 (HE CH by 80+ OBA) and the immobilised SdKfz 7t in RR24/SS25 has effectively cut all north-south road movement east of the river.

Good news for the Germans is that they have beached their first pontoon section at OO32/PP32 and the AEs are banging away at trying to put the bridge section together. This position is exposed and it remains to be seen if the French 81*s will try to make additional kills here and bring the bridging operation to a halt. German infantry also seems to have a firm foothold in the centre while more squads have splashed ashore in the north at MM24 (in the smoke) with more troops crossing the river covered by more smoke (at least for now).

Northern Area

Down south the German artillery has fractured the French positions that were interdicting the river and German infantry continues to cross almost unhindered. A German push into LL41 set off a melee that saw both sides lose a squad while a German 468 (rifle) remains facing off against a French 458 and Hero. LL40 has more infantry, an AE HS with DCs and an 8-1 with a FT while MM41 has a Fanatic 468 AE, a 248 AE HS w/ FT and wounded Hero.

The pressure is definitely building against the French in this area.

Southern Area

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi, a question on that 80mm rubble. When you rubbled that stone building, you calculated the chances for rubble off of a table 16, not 30, correct?

When determining rubble, CH is N/A. So you would have needed an original 1 on the rubble dr, given it was stone to get the rubble. Since that is important, just making sure it was done correctly.
Carl

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi, a question on that 80mm rubble. When you rubbled that stone building, you calculated the chances for rubble off of a table 16, not 30, correct?

When determining rubble, CH is N/A. So you would have needed an original 1 on the rubble dr, given it was stone to get the rubble. Since that is important, just making sure it was done correctly.
Carl
If you didn't get rubble you would have then rolled for flame creation.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Yes,...it was calculated on the 16 FP including the dr +1 for the rubble check (dr was a 1). No fire or falling ruble occurred but the 467 w/ an MMG on the 1st level were not at all happy - mainly cuz they was dead. ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Please can you tell me WHAT units you used for the initial I1 forces . It explicitly stated these to be 228.

I thought I could read but apparently 228 is not correct.

Thank you

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Incredably the French did about everything they could NOT to be by the river. Next best is that the fuel for the tanks was in the rear lines and the AFV had small fuel tanks.

They even had demo teams there that went back to have a brew, negating any further action.

Needless to say AFV out in the open immobilised make good targets

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes,...it was calculated on the 16 FP including the dr +1 for the rubble check (dr was a 1). No fire or falling ruble occurred but the 467 w/ an MMG on the 1st level were not at all happy - mainly cuz they was dead. ?
That will do it.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Please can you tell me WHAT units you used for the initial I1 forces . It explicitly stated these to be 228.

I thought I could read but apparently 228 is not correct.

Thank you
9 squads, 2-2-8. So you get 9 squads and a 2--2-8.

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
We got Turn 3 tucked away this morning as the Germans press the attack. A French 16 FP +1 against approaching German engineers with flamethrowers did nothing as the HS laughed off the 2MC. The Fanatic 468 simply sneered with contempt. The return fire of a 12 FP FT attack at range 2 broke the French 8-0, a 437 w/ ATR and a crew dragging around a malf'd 37* Inf Gun. Thankfully the hero and 458 w/ MMG stood firm to keep the Ave. Franchet d' Esperey covered and Germans confined to rowhouses as they push south, at least for now. Hex LL41 has a French stack (3 units) under ? below the Area acquisition marker contesting the rowhouses. Another 3 unit stack is also in LL42

The French Right (South)

View attachment 13511

Additional German pressure builds as more troops land and others begin occupying the central lowland area. German artillery has hit the supporting troops below the cliffs as more armour arrives from the north. A German pontoon carrier has arrived and looks poised to start off-loading the 8-ton bridge sections. French artillery missed two attempts to land on target mainly due to LOS Hindrances.

The German Left (South)

View attachment 13512

To the north the German right is still struggling with traffic as French mortars and snipers make life uncomfortable. No troops have made it across the Meuse to the northern sector as yet despite valiant attempt. Despite this a 3 Raft boat is making another attempt, using the smoke in O22 as cover. German armour is blanketing the western heights with HE and Smoke trying to blind the French observers and spotters.

The German Right

View attachment 13513

For their part the French left continues to form a hard blocking position denying access to the exits up the Rue de Meez or past the Eglise St Lambert. Troops keep shifting, combining, splitting up again in order to keep the Germans guessing as to just what might be in any position. Now that the armour has arrived from the north the position in Bouvignes-sur-Meuse is well placed to meet whatever attack the Germans may send in this direction.

The French Left

View attachment 13514

Speaking of armour, the French cavalry are riding to the rescue in the south but are being forced to take torturous routes to get past the multiple roadblocks along the southern exit.

View attachment 13515

If all goes as planned we should be able to get Turn 4 done tomorrow morning.
What time is this for. It can't be the initial as there is no way the French could have 5 roadblocks.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Go back an read the entire thread. The French now have a total of 12 roadblocks on the map - 8 placed in the 13 May Morning scenario (120 FPP), 4 placed in the Afternoon (60 FPP).

This would have required the purchase of 80 FPP (RG M3 x 4) in the Morning: (40+80)/15 = 8 roadblocks

A further 60 FPP were purchased in the Afternoon: 60/15 = 4 roadblocks.

8 + 4 = 12 roadblocks

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is a strategy being used to slow the Germans once they are up into the re-entrants.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Carl,

There is a 248 AE HS that come with each pontoon tractor. Does this HS need to unload from the carrier in order to take part in manhandling the pontoon section off the tractor (adding a -1 to the DR)?

I understand that only AE HS/S can construct the bridge section or ferry. For manhandling, can it be done by any MMC supported by an SMC in the "hex"?

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Carl,

There is a 248 AE HS that come with each pontoon tractor. Does this HS need to unload from the carrier in order to take part in manhandling the pontoon section off the tractor (adding a -1 to the DR)?

I understand that only AE HS/S can construct the bridge section or ferry. For manhandling, can it be done by any MMC supported by an SMC in the "hex"?
Hi. Manhandling by anyone. Building, Engineers only.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Hi. Manhandling by anyone. Building, Engineers only.
Yes, got that part. The question is whether the 248 AE HS that is a Passenger on the SdKfz 7t or Beussing-Nag needs to unload in order to help with the manhandling or whether they can do so while still loaded.

From what I see is the RB and the DN rules the answer would appear to be yes.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, got that part. The question is whether the 248 AE HS that is a Passenger on the SdKfz 7t or Beussing-Nag needs to unload in order to help with the manhandling or whether they can do so while still loaded.

From what I see is the RB and the DN rules the answer would appear to be yes.
They cannot assist while loaded, but they are not obligated to assist. Unlike transferring rafts from a truck to units on the ground in the same location.