Dinant LOS Question

Koestler

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands

Is there a LOS between FF30 and II31? (FF30 is at level 5; II31 at level 1)

FF30 having a 2 level height advantage over the intervening obstacle in HH30, it would seem the number of blind hexes is reduced to 0. The doubt arises because of the words "at least" in B10.23.
AK

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
View attachment 14693

FF30 having a 2 level height advantage over the intervening obstacle in HH30, it would seem the number of blind hexes is reduced to 0. The doubt arises because of the words "at least" in B10.23.
AK
I’m going to say yes, there is an LOS. The hexside not being a cliff and subtracting blind zones like crazy because of the height difference across the slope.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
View attachment 14693

AK
Hi Alex, FF30 is Level 4, and II31 is Level 0. If you trace back to the edge of the board, you will see the Levels there for those colors. So FF30 is Level 4 take one off the Blind Hexes, and II31 is 0 with a Level 2 directly in front of it, add one Blind Hex. So that is a wash. Now it comes down to, does the Abrupt Elevation Change create an automatic Blind Hex. Per B10.23, that answer is yes. So no LOS. JJ31 can be seen.

Jeff Sewall

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
B10.23 doesn't state that there is an automatic Blind Hex created by a double crest line; it states that at least one Blind Hex is created. Then later in B10.23, it states that the number of Blind Hexes that have been created can be reduced to a minimum of zero, and does not have an exception for a double crest line.

Also, B11.21 states that the Blind Hexes caused by a cliff hexside can never be reduced to zero, but again there is no similar exclusion for a double crest line.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
B10.23 doesn't state that there is an automatic Blind Hex created by a double crest line; it states that at least one Blind Hex is created. Then later in B10.23, it states that the number of Blind Hexes that have been created can be reduced to a minimum of zero, and does not have an exception for a double crest line.

Also, B11.21 states that the Blind Hexes caused by a cliff hexside can never be reduced to zero, but again there is no similar exclusion for a double crest line.
Right, and in this case there is one blind hex already due to B10.23. The height differences are a wash, so the answer to the posed question I believe, is 1 blind hex. I could definitely be missing something, but I believe that to be the correct answer.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Upon further review I think I see what you're saying. The two levels gives it the one blind hex in the first place in turn taken away by the two level HA of the firer. Disregard, I see what you are saying now. It IS a wash, but a wash back to 0
Were the range to the Obstacle 5 hexes, then ot would be blind. I was incorrectly assuming a default blind hex of 1. That was my error.
So there is a LOS.

Koestler

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
FF30 is at level 4; HH30 at level 2 and II31 at level 0. (I misstated this in my orginal post.)