Dinant HASL

Phlegm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Will there be an "Historical Write-up" that comes with this HASL?

Any new "toys" that will appear in the HASL?
I'm designing this module as an Action Pack type product. My days of typing up historical notes are long past. There are those who have done a much better job at it than I ever could. I would encourage those who are interested to do their own reading on the subject. I will include o list of my design sources and notes.
But a write up ... No.

As for new toys ... Dinant will introduce the much feared water ferry. That's right such metal monsters as the PzIb and the behemoth PzIIf will climb aboard this beast and float on water!

There isn't much in the way of "New Toys." The thing that will make Dinant will be the unique situation. An opposed river crossing. The terrain (woods covered cliffs dominating a tightly packed town) will make players utilize rafts, climbing, night and several other sections of the ASLRB that to date have been under utilized.

My design philosophy has always been to try and stay away from writing new rules. SSR's can be utilized to make the design fit the historical narrative.

Dinant will be designed for ASLers who aren't afraid to use portions of the ASLRB seldom used. Scaling cliffs after paddling across a river under fire will challenge most ASL players. The new toys will be Nadir's map and the situation.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great Stuff Dan, have always enjoyed your designs, Funnies at Zyphlych is one of my favs. Glad to see your not over designing this one. And for the record, River crossings are easy, so is climbing. No problem.

Scott

clavain

Waiting for Godot
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm designing this module as an Action Pack type product. My days of typing up historical notes are long past. There are those who have done a much better job at it than I ever could. I would encourage those who are interested to do their own reading on the subject. I will include o list of my design sources and notes.
But a write up ... No.
Too modest sir. In any case, there are likely some around who might be talked into doing such a write-up, for an appropriate recompense in alcoholic beverages. Were it not to cause a major flamewar or wars over whether such things should be included in a product, how much they add to the cost, whether they should be on glossy paper or not, and whether or not they reflect accurate history, whatever that is. :)

Hmm, on second thoughts, good call on that "no" part.

Phlegm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A few more shots of the latest playing of Rommel at the Meuse. Earlier plays had shown a pretty heavy pro- French tilt so tweaks were made and they've seemed to have helped.

A few more and a monster will be born.

This is the starting set up looking south.

crazystukas

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A few more shots of the latest playing of Rommel at the Meuse. Earlier plays had shown a pretty heavy pro- French tilt so tweaks were made and they've seemed to have helped.

What is the board size for this game?

Phlegm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What is the board size for this game?
Two 22 x 34 maps joined along the long side with about an inch overlap.

I had a 42 hex shot with an 81mm mortar against a German 105mm Arty gun. These maps have some of the most unique LOS I've ever seen in ASL.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Man this really sounds exciting, cant wait to get this on my table and start playing it.

Scott

I had a 42 hex shot with an 81mm mortar against a German 105mm Arty gun. These maps have some of the most unique LOS I've ever seen in ASL.

clavain

Waiting for Godot
Reaction score
Country
llCanada

But did you hit?

burniefox

Doomsower
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have to say it: That looks completely bad-ass.

Put me down for one when it comes available.

B-

Phlegm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just getting into VASL. It's a great tool for designing.

Here's a scenario I'm working on using a portion of the map set during the Bulge. 2nd Pz Div entering from the south at night. I'm fooling around with the OOB's.

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Here's a scenario I'm working on using a portion of the map set during the Bulge. 2nd Pz Div entering from the south at night. I'm fooling around with the OOB's.
Nice dense village terrain there!

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Are those 4-4-7s in the US OB???

What chewed up unit was that?

I didn't know this would be more than 1940 action. Neat.

benj

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Is that the famous "ammo truck incident" portrayed there?

Phlegm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is that the famous "ammo truck incident" portrayed there?
Yup, with a small 4 turn mini pre-scenario featuring a jeep loaded with Skorzeny's commandos.

The 447's represent a company of US Air Service Military Police. They weren't frontline troops but fought well during this action. I thought that the 447's showed their lack of firepower and good morale.

This is the initial OOB. It is subject to many changes.

Attached is a photo of the German attack on the Chatéau de Meez. Three turns of 6.5.

Starlancer

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
so "curved"Just one thing Dan. Why is the bridge of Dinant so curved; For me it's must be more straight. I'm wrong with his ?

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
so "curved"Just one thing Dan. Why is the bridge of Dinant so curved; For me it's must be more straight. I'm wrong with his ?
It just looks to me like it is bent to conform to the hex grid rather than having a hexside going down the centerline of the bridge.