Dinant CG (Dennis Brothers)

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On the Recall thing, in the Refit Phase, this happens. Since the phase he will be rolling for return won't occur until after the CG is over, he is essentially Kaput.
4.6062 in the Refit Phase describes what happens to the recalled unit. As he won't be able to roll for re-entry or elimination until the next refit phase, which isn't coming, he will in essence be done.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have made enough mistakes here (we really don't play enough anymore and playing CGs means you live with your mistakes for months!) that all you guys saying 75% French win can go take a fly* F* at a doughnut...

Regarding the doughnut, is it glazed?

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On the Recall thing, in the Refit Phase, this happens. Since the phase he will be rolling for return won't occur until after the CG is over, he is essentially Kaput.
4.6062 in the Refit Phase describes what happens to the recalled unit. As he won't be able to roll for re-entry or elimination until the next refit phase, which isn't coming, he will in essence be done.
I just found it weird that in the Refit phase he "teleports" away rather than continue under recall and drive away... that was my point. Yes because of the TI we realized even though he was "retained" it was done.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have made enough mistakes here (we really don't play enough anymore and playing CGs means you live with your mistakes for months!) that all you guys saying 75% French win can go take a fly* F* at a doughnut...

Regarding the doughnut, is it glazed?
It might be glazed with something when you guys get done! :) NOTE: I did miss the :) on the original statement. I still don't think this is a slam dunk for the French. He has 2 30-36 kill stacks that once they safely arrive in anyplace just about he will be able to see all my guys and the hexes I could see the road from. I have NOTHING that can do anything about one let alone multiple kill stacks.

Oh yeah, he gets Stukas too!

I think THIS endgame is going to be boring for the French. Probably my own fault.. but hey. I think it's going to come down to one of us having a turn from hell and throwing the towel in.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So we got the first turn completed in the last scenario.
Germans go first, you saw his vehicles lined up off board in the previous pics.
Everything he sees dies in the exit zone. His first shot was +5 I think, no problem for 30 FP :)

I also forgot that all non-emplaced guns lose ? so there goes that!

He has more FT than he knows what to do with, burned another tank and when he Xed out another he didn't even whine he's got so many more coming up.

His whining is all about OBA, first radio 6,6 followed by 6 repair in my turn, so he has to wait w turns to replace that one.
Other radio failed to reach anyone on his turn but got an SR down in my turn.

My OBA had a bit of bad luck, had to place it where only two rolls might force it offboard (4,5 or 4,6) and guess what... 4,5. So could not bring it down in my turn, it is now luckily drifted into the middle of the woods where all his guys are. Might have to bring it down on my stragglers :)

My rolls were a bit hot, lots of rate out of my building hmg. So his spin is yes he can kill what he can see but how does he get into position w/o getting whacked.
I think if I don't get lucky rolls or have a bad turn it will be over quick.

I entered 1 company + 4 MTRs in Wagons + something else that he may not have realized yet so I'll refrain from saying.

Steve

The wine consumed was a bit of a South American turn, a Chilean Cab Sav followed by a Argentinian Cab Sav followed by 2 old reliable Daou bottles (Cab Sav and red Blend)

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So we got the first turn completed in the last scenario.
Germans go first, you saw his vehicles lined up off board in the previous pics.
Everything he sees dies in the exit zone. His first shot was +5 I think, no problem for 30 FP :)

I also forgot that all non-emplaced guns lose ? so there goes that!

He has more FT than he knows what to do with, burned another tank and when he Xed out another he didn't even whine he's got so many more coming up.

His whining is all about OBA, first radio 6,6 followed by 6 repair in my turn, so he has to wait w turns to replace that one.
Other radio failed to reach anyone on his turn but got an SR down in my turn.

My OBA had a bit of bad luck, had to place it where only two rolls might force it offboard (4,5 or 4,6) and guess what... 4,5. So could not bring it down in my turn, it is now luckily drifted into the middle of the woods where all his guys are. Might have to bring it down on my stragglers :)

My rolls were a bit hot, lots of rate out of my building hmg. So his spin is yes he can kill what he can see but how does he get into position w/o getting whacked.
I think if I don't get lucky rolls or have a bad turn it will be over quick.

I entered 1 company + 4 MTRs in Wagons + something else that he may not have realized yet so I'll refrain from saying.

Steve

The wine consumed was a bit of a South American turn, a Chilean Cab Sav followed by a Argentinian Cab Sav followed by 2 old reliable Daou bottles (Cab Sav and red Blend)
Interesting. If that OBA wasn't mortars, you caught a real good break getting it at all. That draw pile has disintegrated by morning on the last day. Good luck.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting. If that OBA wasn't mortars, you caught a real good break getting it at all. That draw pile has disintegrated by morning on the last day. Good luck.
Of course it's 80mm, only thing I could afford and it has a normal draw pile!

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Of course it's 80mm, only thing I could afford and it has a normal draw pile!
Lol, you never know. Not from the same unit as the 80's being brought on board, right? Bring too many on board, the 80's OBA goes away.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nope, only bought one G3 (which might be a mistake honestly) so O2 is still available. Pretty sure I got that right!

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nope, only bought one G3 (which might be a mistake honestly) so O2 is still available. Pretty sure I got that right!
One is good. Flag is picked up. As to whether it is a mistake, only time will tell.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK last Saturday we got another full turn in. The German turns take forever now because he's got overstacking to worry about and just a ton of guys in a small space.
So only one picture that captures the exit area.
On his Turn 2 he rolls a 1 for Stukas (after saying, "they won't come in") followed by a 6 for 3 of them. I'm ready to quit already. I have a 47L still hooked to a wagon and a MTR in a wagon still...
But he also doesn't get contact with his OBA so mine will come down first.
He strongly feels without his OBA he can't win...
So looking at the top of this picture you see the small battle going on at the cliff path as well as his climbers from the night (one I have surrounded) and his other climbers who all failed to climb in Turn 2 and are sitting half way up. My village platoon is back for the most part, the Belgian 9-1 is doing his best to rally the French, no language difficulties yet.
And you see the long line of vehicles he is running up the road. One of them did get a 1 sniper though which helps.
His turn 2 was pretty uneventful, no OBA and plane noises and a lot of shuffling.
I did get a good error on my OBA and I chose harassing fire to try to catch as many woods as I could. It is under the big red Acq. counter. The first rolls broke a bunch of guys but they mostly survived the rout phase and he even had guys advancing from the road into a building under OBA and they all survived too, even with FTs... My turn 2 OBA averaged about a 9 or 10 and did nothing to anyone I think. But as long as I can maintain radio contact it may just stay there.
He finally stuck some AFVs out, one got to HD behind the wall in K50 where he has survived 4 or 5 shots from my tanks and a 37*, most were hull shots, one hit the turret but bounced.
He also peeked 2 more just on my level in the O row and I have acquired him and he has acquired my guys down the road.
The graveyard is getting a bit crowded, my lead MTR over here broke. His killstack near the smoke can see the edge of the graveyard which is not good.
In my turn my MTR in the wagon tried to unload and died for his attempt with a 1,1 MG shot... ("this guy will not bomb!")
And he got his OBA down (in Turn 3 prep) onto my building guys on the plateau but all it did was kill all the horses sitting unattended between the buildings.

Another sequence that pissed him off was I ended up shooting all his guys OFF of my immobilized tank he had in melee, so he is "free" and may survive a bit longer.

The 25LL way off in the distance got another 4 shots at his guys scurrying across the river but it's a 3 to hit at those ranges at best and everyone is safely across the river now.
I had a brave 227 who picked up a 37* on the ridge line and promptly broke it on the first shot.

Probably won't be any play this weekend, remodeling part of my kitchen and I have to get prepped for the contractors and Super Bowl Sunday...

For wine we took a trip to Oregon for 2 Pinot Noirs (Denison and Penner Ash Zina Crown) and an economical California Cab Sav (Mettler)

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As I thought was going to happen, his OBA got down in almost a perfect position and completely broke up my attack. The Stukas are helping, already killing a mortar crew that came on in E40 but my horrible luck with OBA is continuing with my 100mm doing almost nothing except killing horses in F43 and the 80mm going away (although I rolled low and get it back on turn 3). I've narrowed down his Observer to being in the upstairs location of D43, but can't really get much FP on that hex, especially concealed.

The immobilized tank in N48 is causing a ton of problems, and I tasked a Stuka with dealing with him, but it 12'd its MG and then missed with the bomb. Going home for the day on the Recall caused by the MG breaking. Two Stukas with bombs remain. I'm going to have to send several tanks at the N48 tank to kill him , since hes causing routing issues for me. He caused some surrendering from the OBA by his insisting on surviving.

The only highlight of the last turn was winning a CC in L49 to take the last stone building away from him in that area. If I can get some firepower into that area I'll be able to start clearing the upper level of G44 and F44, the OBA being the problem.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sadly the German (me) has conceded in turn 3 of the last CG day. Steve got his OBA down in the middle of my advance on turn 1 and here in defensive fire turn 3 drew another black chit and will be bringing it down harassing fire in the same location. This will put another turn down where I essentially can not move at all.

That would put me into turn 5 before I could begin clearing out his last troops and exiting. That is IF he didn't draw another black chit. If he did then it would be impossible to get through the OBA. There is just not enough time to clear his troops and exit now.

I thoroughly enjoyed this CG and couldn't recommend it enough, we both went back and forth between joy and utter despair. We both think we'd prefer the French if we were betting the house on it, the learning curve is much steeper for the German and lots can go wrong. The French OBA was killer this whole CG (only one mission ever drew double red) and German OBA did not get more than one mission until the 3rd turn of the last day (today!). I'd play either side again though.

We almost exclusively play CGs and this is the closest to the last turn possible we have ever gotten, spanning 20+ CG games played.

This thread can now die. We got the map of Rees printed this week, so on to Operation Turnscrew.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for playing it guys, I appreciate the reccomend. Ree's is a great CG. Tom did a nice job with it.

Last edited:

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
We have been discussing whether maybe the German should start with no boats beached? Keep them all in the buildings until, you reduce the French using your superior firepower. Thus opening an easier road for the boats around turn 3 or 4. While this forfeits the advantage of the LV on turns 1-3 (in fact it would impede the reducing of the French). The other concern with this is the French OBA, possibly killing boats before they are even in the water.

Just our first impression.
I think it is better to hide the boats, get support armor there and just open fire, once you get an are reduced, use a smoke barrage, on opposite shore, then get the boats out fast, and just go like hell.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think it is better to hide the boats, get support armor there and just open fire, once you get an are reduced, use a smoke barrage, on opposite shore, then get the boats out fast, and just go like hell.
Smoke is not in copious supply. There are some tubes available, but the German OBA has none and many of the other tubes, on-board mortars and the MKIV's, Self Propelled 150's are vulnerable.