Dinant CG (Dennis Brothers)

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will keep playing, but some rules mistakes, and tactical mistakes have me behind the 8 ball I think. I would switch sides and play for my mortgage at any time...

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will keep playing, but some rules mistakes, and tactical mistakes have me behind the 8 ball I think. I would switch sides and play for my mortgage at any time...
So I'm guessing the house is already paid for ? ;-)

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Most of those rules mistakes have been bad for the Germans!!!!!!!!!!!!. That's what he is failing to mention........... now the tactical errors are another matter.................

phlegm027

Reaction score
Let me understand this ... you’re going into the last CG scenario and you have 0 exited VP? Sounds like the German might have a problem keeping that road clear of French fire while exiting.
haven’t seen a pic in awhile.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree this is tighter than what seems to be expressed here Dan. Hopefully, we'll see. :)

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Let me understand this ... you’re going into the last CG scenario and you have 0 exited VP? Sounds like the German might have a problem keeping that road clear of French fire while exiting.
haven’t seen a pic in awhile.
Yeah that is what I keep telling him, but he is convinced that it is over. Ever the pessimist my brother.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm not great at posting pictures. That's Steve's department, but this is the exit area and the only real important spot right now. About half of Steve's forces in this shot are broken. The rest of the map is about 20-25 vehicles slowly moving to the main road to get to this area, they will be arriving Turn 1-2 of the last CG day. 15892

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm not great at posting pictures. That's Steve's department, but this is the exit area and the only real important spot right now. About half of Steve's forces in this shot are broken. The rest of the map is about 20-25 vehicles slowly moving to the main road to get to this area, they will be arriving Turn 1-2 of the last CG day. View attachment 15892
Despite the wall of AFV'S coming, not over by a long shot. Alot will depend on his buys.

phlegm027

Reaction score
I would take the French in this situation giving them about 75%+ chance of winning. No way the German can clear the French and exit 100 EVP AND prevent the French from putting 30 firepower along his supply line. Especially with the arty these guys are throwing around

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would take the French in this situation giving them about 75%+ chance of winning. No way the German can clear the French and exit 100 EVP AND prevent the French from putting 30 firepower along his supply line. Especially with the arty these guys are throwing around
Tim Deane's game over on FB came right down the wire with the Germans getting their 100 off, but the French getting 31 points and a 50-50 chance to end the game late. They missed the game end roll and the Germans counterattacked in their part of the turn, pushing enough French FP back off the road for the win. The game then ended. So it balanced on a 50-50 roll to end on the last date. That situation looked far more juicy for the Germans coming in, I must say.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is what I've been telling him and he keeps saying I'm wrong. Glad to see most of you agree with me. I have well over a 100 EVP of vehicles coming up the paved road (I think i have around 20 vehicles on the road to the east filtering through the town full of rubble, not counting the armored cars in the picture and on the last day I can buy more armored cars that can also barely get off the board in one day too), but I still have to neutralize the 30 FP. I've cleared everything to the east of the last picture along the road, so I think all he will have is what is down in this corner, but he has a lot of FP down here including a couple 81* Mortars. That's 16FP right there.

I'd prefer the French position right now.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We have finished the night scenario and will be starting the last scenario soon. I have almost cleared out the woods in the L52 and the M50 areas of French troops. Most of what is there will be surrendering at the end of the first turn of the AM scenario. Steve will post pictures. My vehicles continue the tortuous trek up to the front and the first tanks should arrive at the end of turn 1 on the AM.

Steve has hinted that he purchased OBA and if he can get this down in a good spot, I probably won't be able to exit very easily. Killing the spotter will be job #1. I have several radios in good spots to start raining my OBA down (I'll be purchasing two modules.) If I can keep OBA coming down and silence a couple of his 47L AT guns, I should be able to zip by with 100 EVP, but the game will probably come down to if he can place 30FP on the road.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
I was wondering if you have been able to develop a second push against Steve's defence up either of the other two routes or if everything is committed to this push in the south?

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was wondering if you have been able to develop a second push against Steve's defence up either of the other two routes or if everything is committed to this push in the south?
As I recall the northern front was a sideshow. It's south or bust.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, he stuffed everything that tried in the middle. I never really tried the german right. It's the paved road or nothing at this point

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK here we go.

Let's start with the boring part we probably don't even have to play anymore. North river area.
You can just make out my last 25LL high up on the cliff, couldn't see anything happening down South all night.
Hoping for some potshots as he drives his vehicles across the bridge. I bet he won't overstack anymore! But the penetration at this range for that 25LL is not great. But if he can take out a few more that would be bonus. Near the river bank you can see my platoon holding off his platoon, just making sure no cheap points got off this way. As Neil mentioned I think this is a dead end.

Moving to the main crossing you see his bridges and you also see the guys he lined up to enter assuming he gets to move first on the last scenario, yes I need a bigger table.
He did push another guy up the cliff but this area also seems to be a dead end and the tanks and Belgians I had headed here have gone elsewhere. And you can see the traffic jam trying to get by all the rubble caused by the initial bombardment.

Moving to the entrance to the main exit (or Dog 1 as he likes to call it) You can see his guys who will have an impact for sure soon, they are 2 turns from the battle along the road and you can also make out the 2 CX stacks he climbed again with on the last 2 turns of the Night. The CX stack in front of them are my Belgians. They alone are 14? FP to put on the road, that's why he climbed I think. All my other guys on the cliff top were hit by snipers and the last guys that climbed that took forever to deal with. The Belgian leader might have to head over and start yelling at some French guys to get back in the fight.

And finally the point of the sword. I threw away a few tanks in here, one had to go CE to try to get away and promptly got recalled... The gun under the wagon on the hill found out how hard it is to move these things at night. I'll have to push this under fire to the hill edge I think... ran out of time at night. I did seriously not grok how difficult towing/moving at night was...
The two tanks that are one hex apart is because the recall guy apparently just disappears during Refit?? That's how it reads anyhow. So now I have TC just to move those guys...

I have another problem here too, his 8-1 stack in the middle of the pic is 30-36FP and can see one of my guns on the board edge by the graveyard. Do I smoke somewhere and push the gun? Take 47L APCR potshots at the infantry? Ugly.

I have made enough mistakes here (we really don't play enough anymore and playing CGs means you live with your mistakes for months!) that all you guys saying 75% French win can go take a fly* F* at a doughnut...

I think it's 50/50 and the only way the French win given all my mistakes, is by having the 30FP on the road to negate the exit. My guess is by turn 4 or 5 he will be able to exit a boatload of points...