Dinant CG (Dennis Brothers)

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
so he acquired it, rolled 1,1 and we think destroyed the unmanned mortar. Anyone disagree with that interpretation?
So he got a crit hit against the crew attempting to possess the mortar? Firing ATT or ITT? Was your crew moving at the time?

At first I was in agreement with youse, but on thinking about it I'm not totally sure. If the mortar was unmanned, then it might need RS to see if the gun or the crew took the CH, as they are not manning the gun. If only the crew took the CH, then I imagine you would do normal gun destruction per C11.6. But if he was firing ITT, I wouldn't think the gun would be affected, especially if he was first firing. OTOH, I could very well be wrong.

This looks like a heck of a fun campaign - I don't envy the Germans having to clear the rest of that reentrant, though!

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So he got a crit hit against the crew attempting to possess the mortar? Firing ATT or ITT? Was your crew moving at the time?

At first I was in agreement with youse, but on thinking about it I'm not totally sure. If the mortar was unmanned, then it might need RS to see if the gun or the crew took the CH, as they are not manning the gun. If only the crew took the CH, then I imagine you would do normal gun destruction per C11.6. But if he was firing ITT, I wouldn't think the gun would be affected, especially if he was first firing. OTOH, I could very well be wrong.

This looks like a heck of a fun campaign - I don't envy the Germans having to clear the rest of that reentrant, though!
The crew was not in the hex. He fired to acquire the mtr hex before I got there (it was his prep).
He "hit" the unmanned Mtr as far as we could see

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rules question: I see all those vehicles in motion. Are they moving to a new hex every turn? Isn't that the rule?

Looks like a downtown parade.
We will be clearing some of those vehicles out of the traffic jam this turn. The armored cars can shoot across the river finally, on the freshly minted 8-ton "Erwin Rommel" bridge.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We got another couple turns in Saturday. I've shot a handful of armored cars over the bridges, one was promptly killed by a 37*INF gun. Steve also got his reinforcement plane with a bomb of course. And is now lining up on the 16ton bridge to attempt to destroy it. Pictures to come from Steven at some point.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK so we are on German 6, he has done his SMOKE and that's it so far in this turn.

Along the exit road we have the following. You can see my guys digging like crazy and I got the OBA down as 150 harassing fire just to try and hold them where they are. If I can draw one more black (50/50) and end the scenario where they are... mabye it's a good trade maybe not. Nothing was stopping his guys from just waltzing down the road. You see his 8-1 in DD47, I jumped on a HS with a concealed guy, missed the ambush and he rolled 1,1 and slipped through the net. He is the only climber alive on the main ridge right now.

Closer to the river we see his first vehicles taking the slow route using bypass because of all the bombardment rubble. Due to my usual high rolls the fires are out of control...

At the bridges, he had smoke surrounding everything last turn so my plane went elsewhere but the first thing in my defensive fire will be an attack on OO40, the 16 ton bridge that has a truck with another section, an AC, and 2 or 3 squads with the 9-2 engineer leader.
Still not quite sure what the best option is for attacking and possibly destroying the bridge. I could attack the bridge itself but I'm thinking trying to hit the truck is better, I can still destroy the bridge on a direct hit of the truck I think...
Confusion about the bridge attack because it says you target it with vehicle target type (I think) and explains how to destroy it but than says if you hit with Area you destroy it too?
Need to parse all that again.
I have 2 37* braving the ridge again, one is likely to die to the mortar but the other should get some shots.

And finally the area where he will try his other bridge during the night. He has some more 16T bridges here that might be redirected if I kill the other truck since that bridge is half complete.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
DN3.8 is about Pontoon Bridge counters. DN 3.64 is about destroying Pontoon Sections.
To eliminate a Pontoon Bridge counter, you need to get a Direct Hit (E7.421) on either the Bridge itself or anything on that Bridge or get an ORIGINAL KIA after either a near miss or hit on the ATT.

Hope that helps. In short, not THAT easy to take out, but certainly not impossible.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK the way I read it was ANY HIT on ATT was a destruction which seemed weird... the ORIGINAL KIA applies to near miss OR ATT. Got it, that makes sense. so I think the best bet is a direct hit on a target on the bridge.
I suppose I can sight the bridge (to get the +3) and than attack an occupant on the bridge too...

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In your 2nd pic I see quite a few drifting smoke counters but quite a few blazes seem to have no drifting smoke what-so-ever (could be you just removed them for clarity). Have these just turned to blazes and no drifting smoke present yet? Also there could/should be multiple drifting smoke counters in some hexes but perhaps the aforementioned reason may apply for not having them present. Lastly per the drifting smoke rules some of the drifting smoke [EX: JJ51, KK51 & LL50] should be on appropriate level counters (perhaps you just remember that drifting smoke does not apply below the level of the original blaze?). Good stuff and enjoyable AAR none-the-less as I've recently picked it up and am plowing thru the rules until Curtis Brooks & I can get together again to perhaps give it a try.

Last edited:

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
yes, the smoke is having no impact and the counter density is already a cluster-f*** so we have stopped putting the irrelevant ones that are floating over the terrain.
Since we play for fun and mostly don't get angry with each other for mistakes/errors we play a little looser than we would at a tourney.

Just like if I showed you the FAR French left there is a dead burning AC w/o any smoke either...

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK the way I read it was ANY HIT on ATT was a destruction which seemed weird... the ORIGINAL KIA applies to near miss OR ATT. Got it, that makes sense. so I think the best bet is a direct hit on a target on the bridge.
I suppose I can sight the bridge (to get the +3) and than attack an occupant on the bridge too...
Yes, could sight the bridge.

Last edited:

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We did have a rules question that came up. Normally fire from FF36 to FF35 would not be eligible for PBF due to the full 2 level difference (A7.21) , but because it is technically ADJACENT (since you can advance up the path thingy.) This is eligible for PBF correct?

We believe that is correct, but just seemed odd since there is such a large height difference.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We did have a rules question that came up. Normally fire from FF36 to FF35 would not be eligible for PBF due to the full 2 level difference (A7.21) , but because it is technically ADJACENT (since you can advance up the path thingy.) This is eligible for PBF correct?

We believe that is correct, but just seemed odd since there is such a large height difference.
Where that would be most prevalent in the normal rulebook would be abrupt elevation changes.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Hmmmm,.... my head canon tells me that the elevation difference would preclude PBF as the introduction of the 'steep paths' is new and not covered by the RB. IMO ADJACENT would not (or should not) apply in this case.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After having looked at this in the Q&A and having found nothing, I believe PBF does go both ways due to being able to Fulfill the ADJACENT clause, funky as that looks. There is precedence. The Q&A allows a unit on the Ground Floor of a Factory access hex to fire PBF at a unit on the Factory roof of that Location even with a 2 Level advantage. Also, look at the Abrupt Elevation example in the RB on page B13 of the Pocket Rule Book, lower left hand corner. From the top of that hill down is PBF of course, but so is vice versa as A7.21 is either/or. They got it right by allowing the PBF, funky as it looks.

Last edited: