Dinant CG (Dennis Brothers)

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We've only got one turn most likely left, I'll hold on the pictures until than.

Interesting observations from my POV.
Everytime I try something he gets the exact roll he needs. He did roll a bunch of 12s today but boo-hoo, one of 3 planes went home...

I moved up a concealed 37* inf gun that he didn't know about (advantage of only playing on weekends) but had to assemble it in the final fire phase. No problem right? all his mortars either prepped or didn't fire.
OK one that didn't fire rolls the 5 (with rate just in case) to hit in the advance fire phase and than rolls 1,1 to kill him outright......

All I wanted was ONE Prep fire shot at the loaded trucks with all the pontoons... but noooooo that's too much to ask!!

I have a few more guys that are one hex back from the ridge contemplating their existence and if they should try even concealed to do anything.....

But right now the planes have them all stymied in place pretty much anyway....

Given that I annihilated most of his boats and he still has tons of guys across and I've lost outright too many guys trying to challenge the rest of the crossing I'm depressed about my chances... not sure how to balance the French rear defense vs. the river defense.

Anyone who has played me knows I don't see the "solution" from looking at the card. I would definitely do things different but this is a struggle.
If the German doesn't buy all the Mortars they can and get them setup on level 3 they are missing out. They are ridiculous. I should have maybe counter battery fired and once I had the SR near one of them and probably should have dropped it on him (would have interdicted the back alleys too...)

Oh well... it is up and down and something new to play.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From looking at the map, given the difficuly of what the Germans need to do, you have a game on your hands. I detect uncurrents of dissatisfaction with the situation from both players reports. There should be too.

One is behind on the clock, the other is running out of guys. EXCELLENT!!!!
My only observation I will allow myself at this point, is that this is very much anyone's game still.

One rule observation, not sure how many mortars the Germans have bought, but their OBA of the same caliber might be getting cut into.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From looking at the map, given the difficuly of what the Germans need to do, you have a game on your hands. I detect uncurrents of dissatisfaction with the situation from both players reports. There should be too.

One is behind on the clock, the other is running out of guys. EXCELLENT!!!!
My only observation I will allow myself at this point, is that this is very much anyone's game still.

One rule observation, not sure how many mortars the Germans have bought, but their OBA of the same caliber might be getting cut into.
I've only bought two sections, and I've bought none of the OBA yet. The 80mm in use on this date is holdover from drawing two reds immediately day one.

And yes, we both have whined back and forth through this, which I take as a very good sign of the play-ability of this CG. Its been waaaaay more back and forth whining about being in trouble and its hopeless to the other player saying "You're insane, you are ahead" than we've ever experienced. We definitely will be trying this reversed sides at some point after this.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Good evening, Gents,

I noted the comment above about the Germans and their mortars:

If the German doesn't buy all the Mortars they can and get them setup on level 3 they are missing out
I can't see anyway for the Germans to get their 81* Mortars from RG G5 up to level 3. There are not allowed on the citadel hill and there are no paths up to other level 3 locations in other areas east of the river. The entry areas are all down in Dinant or in level 0 and 1 elevations in zones A and B. Finally, you cannot climb with a dismantled mortar as you are limited to just 2PP while climbing.

Did I miss something?

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good evening, Gents,

I noted the comment above about the Germans and their mortars:

I can't see anyway for the Germans to get their 81* Mortars from RG G5 up to level 3. There are not allowed on the citadel hill and there are no paths up to other level 3 locations in other areas east of the river. The entry areas are all down in Dinant or in level 0 and 1 elevations in zones A and B. Finally, you cannot climb with a dismantled mortar as you are limited to just 2PP while climbing.

Did I miss something?
You go uphill for 2 MF, nam but not CX. Then Advance and go CX to get to level 2. Assuming no leader is helping out. No they wouldn't Climb with them for the reasons you state.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
I understand the movement uphill to levels 1 and 2, that is not the issue. ?

My comment was in getting the mortars to level 3 as suggested by sdennis above, it isn't possible.

I was suggesting to the Dennis Brothers that if they have German mortars up on level 3 (dangerous to the French) they may have done something incorrectly. ?

Last edited:

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I understand the movement uphill to levels 1 and 2, that is not the issue. ?

My comment was in getting the mortars to level 3 as suggested by sdennis above, it isn't possible.

I was suggesting to the Dennis Brothers that if they have German mortars up on level 3 (dangerous to the French) they may have done something incorrectly. ?
Steve just mis-spoke, I think. My mortars are on level 2, technically. He's thinking of the river as the base level when it is really at -1. They are in WW50, TT42 and RR45 (in the square for smoke purposes), the 4th Mortar X'd itself out. The ones on the hills (WW50 and TT42) both got there exactly the way Carl suggested, via Advance and becoming CX. They are two levels above the 1.5 level obstacles in the town and can see most of the ridge where OBA observers, mortars and 25LL guns live.

The WW50 one can get there on turn one of the first day if its the first truck you enter, by unloading in VV50 and advancing to WW50.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Ah!! Yes, that makes sense.

Having played the defence I believe the French need to recognise that by the afternoon scenario they will have problems placing any units in LOS of German units east of the river. The losses will be high. Timing the 'step back' from the river and the edge of the escarpment before losses become critical amongst the four starting company's heavy weapons is critical and will determine how fast the Germans can push towards the western exits.

It's a tough call for the French as the disparity in firepower between the two side's infantry is pronounced, especially when the flamethrowers get into action. You don't want to stack but if you don't, then bringing enough FP to bear on an FT hex is difficult. Even a 12 +0 at two hexes from an FT can undo a solid position.

Last edited:

phlegm027

Reaction score
Steve just mis-spoke, I think. My mortars are on level 2, technically. He's thinking of the river as the base level when it is really at -1. They are in WW50, TT42 and RR45 (in the square for smoke purposes), the 4th Mortar X'd itself out. The ones on the hills (WW50 and TT42) both got there exactly the way Carl suggested, via Advance and becoming CX. They are two levels above the 1.5 level obstacles in the town and can see most of the ridge where OBA observers, mortars and 25LL guns live.

The WW50 one can get there on turn one of the first day if its the first truck you enter, by unloading in VV50 and advancing to WW50.
I do the same thing all the time. I think at one point Carl nearly went insane with my getting 3 with 4 and1 with 2.

phlegm027

Reaction score
y shoulda seen Nadir when we did the map. I; think he bought a house in the woods.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So we have come to the conclusion of the afternoon session. Steve said he'll post the photos soon. I have around 75-80 VP worth of Germans on the west side of the river so the French ELR drops to 2 and SAN to 3, but I only half of a single 8-ton bridge built so everybody will be under supply shortage for the evening. I do have a bunch of pontoon sections on the ground ready to go, but it ended after the French 7th turn this scenario.

One question that did come up, I had a couple squads caught in no-man's land. By rule 4.6081 they would receive a Supply Shortage 1 counter, then because of my utter failure to get the bridge done in time, do they then immediately become Supply Shortage 2 counters in 4.6083A? So in one scenario's refit they get the double whammy of supply shortage? That's how we read it and how we marked the counters, just making sure that's the intent.

Also if I complete a bridge mid-scenario, (even 24 tons as required by 4.6082) I assume the supply problem stays until the next re-fit. No mid scenario resupply like in RB/VOTG in other-words.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So we have come to the conclusion of the afternoon session. Steve said he'll post the photos soon. I have around 75-80 VP worth of Germans on the west side of the river so the French ELR drops to 2 and SAN to 3, but I only half of a single 8-ton bridge built so everybody will be under supply shortage for the evening. I do have a bunch of pontoon sections on the ground ready to go, but it ended after the French 7th turn this scenario.

One question that did come up, I had a couple squads caught in no-man's land. By rule 4.6081 they would receive a Supply Shortage 1 counter, then because of my utter failure to get the bridge done in time, do they then immediately become Supply Shortage 2 counters in 4.6083A? So in one scenario's refit they get the double whammy of supply shortage? That's how we read it and how we marked the counters, just making sure that's the intent.

Also if I complete a bridge mid-scenario, (even 24 tons as required by 4.6082) I assume the supply problem stays until the next re-fit. No mid scenario resupply like in RB/VOTG in other-words.
Hi Dennis, that is correct on both counts. SS2 and the supply phase of refit is when folks get supply status reassessed.

phlegm027

Reaction score
Wow I figured you were going to be finished with the 8 ton bridge. You looked like you were in good shape to get it in the water.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We screwed up on rule that probably delayed him a little bit but I don't think he would have finished without Turn 8. Once it became apparent he would not finish there was no incentive to take risks.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK This is right after the end of game roll, so extra counters are still there and Neil's mentioned Supply counters are not there yet.

In the South is where ALL the action is. What little French I was able to extract is lining the road out of town. Neil has a AC parked on his half completed bridge. We see nothing to stop that... Those smokes will flip in his T1. Every body in the south is across basically. All 4 of my HTs are dead, abandoned or retreating! He successfully climbed in the extreme south, more to come I bet. Those guys and his nearby buddies are all under Supply 2 because I control the empty building on top of the cliff. I'm struggling to see how the French can hold the horde back. I will have a large OBA retasked down here but it will be 6B/5R this time... I will be adding a RB at the exit to the draw as well. I made a bunch of tactical mistakes that are really hurting me right now and I think the strategy would change next time too.

Move into the middle, much less action. Neil has brought 2? pontoon trucks down here... I think he's gearing up for a bridge during the night.
Off screen to the left I have a 25LL and a MTR but only one 228! He's trying to get to the MTR right now. I also have my hmgs still hidden as well but that might be a mistake and coming to an end soon. Trying to figure out how many squads to leave here covering this front that has zero Germans on it...

Casualties for the French were horrific. Every body I put on the ridge, even concealed was totally annihilated... and his planes were incredibly effective.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We screwed up on rule that probably delayed him a little bit but I don't think he would have finished without Turn 8. Once it became apparent he would not finish there was no incentive to take risks.
How was the rule screwed up? Also, yes, the AC, so long as it meets the criteria, can be on that portion of bridge.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think his first manhandling roll we thought needed to be below 2 to unload? But that's construction only?

He had like -9 and rolled a 12! :)

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think his first manhandling roll we thought needed to be below 2 to unload? But that's construction only?

He had like -9 and rolled a 12! :)
If he was unloading an 8 ton, I think the M# is 6, yes. That's a lot of mods, but if a platoon was working on it, and Rommel was waving the pom poms nearby, you can get there. Even with a 12, they would have been twirling it over their heads like a drum major's baton.