Dinant CG (Dennis Brothers)

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK so we finished our first scenario today when Neil rolled a 1 on German 7... I think that is OK for him as it removed a move turn for me... the french are trying to move right to stop "Dog One" as Neil keeps saying.

So pictures... the other mortar malfed and then rolled a 6. but not before the mortars found and killed one of the OBA observers. He had been complaining about his dice... today they started with 1,2 1,2, 1,1, 1,2 for the first 4 TH rolls... the 1,1 found the observer that didn't have a SR on board and killed him in FF44.

The push on the board edge is gaining momentum. I was able to kill an ambitious HS who stuck his nose out but other than that he can do what he wants here.
The French are trying to get back into the gap as fast as possible.

In the middle not much going on. The Germans are running to the south where all the boats are as fast as possible.
I've got a gap in my pictures today... the path up the cliff has a stack of 9-1, mmgx3 trying to get up the ridge. They were able to avoid the wayward OBA and get the the base of the cliff path but as they were CX could not advance up when the scenario ended. So they are at the bottom of the mountain path right now. Everyone else is running from the French Left to the French Right.

Everybody in the North has fled to the South since there are no boats up here.... French are running to the South as fast as the Germans.

Overall a very up and down scenario for both sides... Neil got 25 CVP across in dribs and drabs. one leader only. I am still fragile everywhere.
OBA was huge for me as well as killing a bunch of boats but he still has 12 SE across...

It's still a battle... French are a bit out of position. Interesting to see what Miscellaneous guys I get...

I still have 2 HMGs HIP and one 25LL HIP but they might be out of position...

Attachments

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And forgot the wine report.

Amici 2017 Pinot Noir, started off a bit harsh but mellowed the more it was open. Pretty good Russian River Valley Wine.
Isosceles by Justin. Still one of my top 5 wines of all time! Awesome Red Blend.
Erath... not bad can get this in any American restaurant.
CA... nice Dave Phinney wine.

It was a heavy wine day... the damn quarantine is driving my wine supply seriously down. Need to make a trip to replenish soon.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Speaking of alcohol I am on the Glenlivet and Glenmorangie. Get to share it with myself since I play solo.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK so we finished our first scenario today when Neil rolled a 1 on German 7... I think that is OK for him as it removed a move turn for me... the french are trying to move right to stop "Dog One" as Neil keeps saying.

Overall a very up and down scenario for both sides... Neil got 25 CVP across in dribs and drabs. one leader only. I am still fragile everywhere.
OBA was huge for me as well as killing a bunch of boats but he still has 12 SE across...

It's still a battle... French are a bit out of position. Interesting to see what Miscellaneous guys I get...

I still have 2 HMGs HIP and one 25LL HIP but they might be out of position...
From the German perspective, I feel I am behind. Seems like 11-12 squads and one leader across is light after one scenario. The bigger problem is I only have 11 boats left in the water (2 rafts are still stuck on a truck) and a bunch of those boats are half-squad size. I almost feel that I need to buy more rafts, but that seems like a waste of 8 CPP that is better used for bodies/vehicles. We are to the bridge building phase over the next two scenarios, but I don't want to run out of boats so I can at least continue reinforcing the breach.

The only thing that seems to be in my favor is that Steve seems to have set up his defense for a northern crossing and I am obviously at this time pretty much all-in on a southern crossing.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Note that you can combine 2-Raft boats into 3-Raft boasts, making 'change' as required. In our game Lee has already combined two of the 2-Raft boats from the at start force to make a replacement for the one 3-Raft boat killed by artillery (w/ a 1-Raft boat left over).

Apologies if you already know this.

If I remember the history correctly, Rommel's initial bridgehead was little more than shot-up company and the crossing was going so badly he needed to go down to the river to oversee the operation (thus our Rommel counter). If you have a company over the river you have probably done well. And with 70 CPP coming up,... well,..... ?

Last edited:

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Note that you can combine 2-Raft boats into 3-Raft boasts, making 'change' as required. In our game Lee has already combined two of the 2-Raft boats from the at start force to make a replacement for the one 3-Raft boat killed by artillery (w/ a 1-Raft boat left over).

Apologies if you already know this.

If I remember the history correctly, Rommel's initial bridgehead was little more than shot-up company and the crossing was going so badly he needed to go down to the river to oversee the operation (thus our Rommel counter). If you have a company over the river you have probably done well. And with 70 CPP coming up,... well,..... ?
Yeah, Its just very disheartening to see boat after boat going to the bottom of the Meuse. Also the number of wrecks, making any driving through the narrow streets difficult at best for the huge number of vehicles coming on in this 2nd scenario. Steve's artillery buy on day one is looking pretty good right now. (although if I did it I'd draw double red or X out the radio's.)

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Lee's (German) artillery went double red (81* Bn Mor) and his 100+ got one fire mission. Despite this, my own artillery (French) did next to nothing to his boats but he has taken his lumps ashore. End of Turn 5 and he has 19 cvp west of the river. So I think both games may end up with a similar result despite a different flow of events.

That in itself says something about the design.?

phlegm027

Reaction score
Rafts and boats aren’t’ going to get you enough forces to Overwhelm the French defenders. You need to have your Assault Engineers start getting a couple of ferries going to get some Armor across the river.
‘also find a nice quiet place and start building some bridges 16 ton if at all possible.
The first CG scenario is tough on both sides. The French don’t feel comfortable with The Germans getting a company across and the Germans are feeling the loss of every boat and raft.

I’m interested in what both sides buy for the afternoon .

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I personally am withholding all comment on strategy and approaches for both sides. I have found the approach of the German player to be typical of that of the majority of German players and very close to the initial historical choice.

Once the first CG has played to its conclusion, I'll toss my .02 in. Very enjoyable seeing a couple of players discovering each sides strengths and limitations and learning to cope with them.
As a rules aside, you can't have two of the same type of OBA module in use at the same time in the same CG Date. This is less of an issue for the Germans, as they can just avoid buying the second module and spend the CPP elsewhere. It can be an issue for the French however, since they are always buying ahead a date. Should the French inadvertently find themselves with two of the same OBA module in the same CG date due to one not having been "used" in the prior date, you must carry one of the modules to the following date.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Right about the OBA Carl. I bought 80 to go with my 100 and my purchase ahead avoids any duplication too.. after the first scenario or two OBA becomes a chancy buy due to the increasing red cards.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Right about the OBA Carl. I bought 80 to go with my 100 and my purchase ahead avoids any duplication too.. after the first scenario or two OBA becomes a chancy buy due to the increasing red cards.
Save for the 80's. Their draw pile does not spike. Their mobility and lack of an "aerial footprint" saved them.

LDM

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Got a question for the hive mind. COWTRA, I hate this game.....
Situation: The French sniper immobilized 1 of my pontoon transports in bypass (SS25 RR24). Now, I realize it's done but I'm not saying dead yet. The pontoons can't be unloaded in bypass. They can not be unloaded into a building hex. IF I was to blow up RR24 using a set DC, with the hope of rubbling the building, THEN go the clearance thing, would I be able to unload into the cleared RR24 hex ??
I know it's a forlorn hope lol. And that includes the planning of stating I was bypassing the RR25 hex side. This is all for future reference, no bearing on the current game.
Is it legal ??

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got a question for the hive mind. COWTRA, I hate this game.....
Situation: The French sniper immobilized 1 of my pontoon transports in bypass (SS25 RR24). Now, I realize it's done but I'm not saying dead yet. The pontoons can't be unloaded in bypass. They can not be unloaded into a building hex. IF I was to blow up RR24 using a set DC, with the hope of rubbling the building, THEN go the clearance thing, would I be able to unload into the cleared RR24 hex ??
I know it's a forlorn hope lol. And that includes the planning of stating I was bypassing the RR25 hex side. This is all for future reference, no bearing on the current game.
Is it legal ??
Hi. The terrain you can manhandle a Pontoon Section through is listed in the rules. Rubble definitely not one of them and Rubble on either side of a narrow street, negates and blocks the narrow road. Might have harmful effects on the transport too, though I would have to check that.

In short, no, that would not work. Essentially, you don't want to have those in bypass with the enemy sniper around. Makes a mess.

LDM

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi. The terrain you can manhandle a Pontoon Section through is listed in the rules. Rubble definitely not one of them and Rubble on either side of a narrow street, negates and blocks the narrow road. Might have harmful effects on the transport too, though I would have to check that.

In short, no, that would not work. Essentially, you don't want to have those in bypass with the enemy sniper around. Makes a mess.
Figured as much. Grasping at straws to "see" if there was a way in the rules that would allow it. Thanks for the responce.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK we got back at it this weekend, got through German T3, German still on the attack. French trying to hang on.
I made 2 colossal mistakes, I need to play more or drink less wine! (We had a average Sangiovese our of Ohio somewhere, Justin Justification, and The Prisoner by Orin Swift)

Low res pictures this time, not going back up to take new ones so suffer the bad images this time.

In the South is where most of the action is, his board edge creep/crossing is basically unopposed, every turn a squad or 2 is coming across.
You can see one of my mistakes, I rushed 2 of my misc. HTs too far and lost concealment and his OBA observer now has an FFE right in my escape rout. He's going to be able to very casually crush me against it unless he loses contact. The HT even immobilized to make it easier for him. His townies are just going forward a hex or two per turn, no hurry. He has a few mmg/hmg across no and even a FT hiding somewhere in town.
You can also make out our first ever dogfight. I got 2 planes on T2 and he got 3! on T3, so I tried to drop both my bombs but failed one of the sighting TC and he jumped him, kept rate and damaged me while I left him untouched... I'm gonna have to jump his guy most likely in my T3 CC. The other big mistake you can't see because everyone died... I got impatient and tried to climb the cliff path in the center, albeit concealed... 16 strips with rate and than 36 kills them all..... if I had waited my OBA caused him to disperse but I had a brain fart for sure here. losing 3mmgs and a 9-1 is going to hurt.
Along his side if the river you can make out a immob. truck on the river road carrying pontoons. This was from a 46 hex MTR shot! I will start another thread on this one.
You also see my SR in the river but I broke the radio in German T3 and just fialed to fix it in French T3... He knows it's 100 or 150 from the draw pile.
The burning AC on his side was also from the MTR and it also immobilized another AC.

Gets a bit more boring moving North
Nothing really going on here. I removed my mmg from the pillbox once he maneuvered an AC our of range to plink away.
You can see the entire North group running as fast as they can to the South, but now that the planes are here we will have to slow down.
And it's really boring way up North

The pillbox still has a unit in it, and the last 25LL finally popped up once it was clear nothing was going to happen down here, he's taking long shots at anything he can see but being 25mm even with LL makes long shots difficult. This MTR is the only weapon really contesting the crossing at this point. The other one is dead.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Steve has the casualties from the first scenario and hopefully will publish them. They weren't horrible, except in boats as previously complained about!!! The German planes early arrival is going to change this one I think, getting 3 to his 2 helps and already damaging one of his planes should limit his ground support rolls to last turns ineffective results. I've got a beautiful target set up in the South to hopefully take out a couple of the half-tracks that just entered and the other plane I think has to go after the Mortar. That mortar is the only thing holding up bridge building now that the OBA has broken its radio, my mortars are going to have to continue searching the ridge line for his still hidden observer.