Dinant CG (Dennis Brothers)

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The main purpose of a boat is to keep the water on the outside. I wonder why no combatants created "self-sealing" rubber boats like they did with aircraft fuel tanks.

phlegm027

Reaction score
Hey guys nice report, thanks.

sounds like you’re using some big kill stacks. . . . Remember:
DN5 MG & SNIPER: For purposes of Sniper target se- lection (A14.21) only, any Location containing ≥ two un- concealed/non-hidden, assembled, functioning MMG/ HMG possessed by unbroken Infantry is considered to have a TEM of zero.2

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with the kill stack tactic for sure. It is another gotcha for the Germans to bear in mind however.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One kill stack was hit once with a small sniper and a hmg sucked it up nicely. another smaller kill stack lost an 8-0 and had a few LLMC failures but he is not rolling any 4s really and I'm only getting maybe 1 in 4? to go off? It danced around his #2 kill stack a few times hitting it only once. that South sniper has moved into the river and is casualty reducing boat passengers, twice now...

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK this is through OBA of Turn 5 German I think?

Starting in the south he is across at the board edge with nothing I can really do about it. OBA might be able to get down here but I currently don't have contact and the draw pile is down to 4/2. The sniper has hit 2 boats for a full squad of death. He was pissed about the pill box not falling in CC even when the occupants were broken but than his 8-1 hit it again and I rolled a 6,6 to end the whining. I will admit his new precision dice (which I purchased for him) roll a lot of 10s.... the mortars on the back hill are starting to be a PITA and they are searching for my OBA guy now. This area has to be his main focus now, most of the other areas have no boats... The melee is downstairs and is a 228 of mine (trying to reclaim his 37*) and 2 German halfsquads.

Moving into the middle... My other OBA is trying to get the 36 death star to leave... I've hit him twice to no effect. He has asserted his dominance over this area. Killing a MTR and the 25LL crew on the ridge. His remaining OBA tried to get lucky and kill my best visible stack (the CX stack hiding in the brush) with a lucky drift on the FFE:C but it missed.
Not sure how I'm going to extricate them. I need the OBA to go away for a turn. If I can get to the ridge... If he had boats here I would be screwed... I need the 36 FP stack to go away.

And in the North... he decided to unbeach the boats empty and drive them around because they are harder to hit and my 37* inf (one in the steeple and one under it) didn't really care. There might have been one or 2 illegal shots by the level 1 guy once he got to my shoreline (the elevated road blocks LOS to the near shore hex) but the steeple guy is Davy Crocket with the 37*... one boat is all that remains. He also has an AC that did a drive by and is now hiding over in the FAR north behind some partial orchards.
The Infantry is hiding/moving to the boats slowly.

I pulled my 457/mmg out of the elevated road pillbox to try to get to the ridge for the next scenario.

To do this again as the French I don't know if I would set ANYONE up in the middle NOT on the ridge... They would be my redeploy force depending on where the attack came.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey guys nice report, thanks.

sounds like you’re using some big kill stacks. . . . Remember:
DN5 MG & SNIPER: For purposes of Sniper target se- lection (A14.21) only, any Location containing ≥ two un- concealed/non-hidden, assembled, functioning MMG/ HMG possessed by unbroken Infantry is considered to have a TEM of zero.2
Yeah, it was a risk, but I've just been trying to surround them with other targets, so it has to land right on them to go off on them. Only one real attack on them like Steve said. I just need the firepower to clear the heights. The South is pretty safe for the boats, except for the OBA. Hence why the 81* mortars are now searching on the ridge for the observers in the woods. If I can find them the kill stacks can kill them. We should see a couple squads a turn getting across each turn now, if he keeps the OBA chasing the kill stack instead of killing boats.

I think we are going to switch sides after this playing and I have to say so far I think Steve has a sound plan (for once!), killing the boats and the loss of OBA number 2 on turn 2 due to red cards is screwing up everything I had planned. Bad enough Steve even pulled out the old "No plan ever survives first contact" quote the other day.

phlegm027

Reaction score
lotsa timeframe
Yeah, it was a risk, but I've just been trying to surround them with other targets, so it has to land right on them to go off on them. Only one real attack on them like Steve said. I just need the firepower to clear the heights. The South is pretty safe for the boats, except for the OBA. Hence why the 81* mortars are now searching on the ridge for the observers in the woods. If I can find them the kill stacks can kill them. We should see a couple squads a turn getting across each turn now, if he keeps the OBA chasing the kill stack instead of killing boats.

I think we are going to switch sides after this playing and I have to say so far I think Steve has a sound plan (for once!), killing the boats and the loss of OBA number 2 on turn 2 due to red cards is screwing up everything I had planned. Bad enough Steve even pulled out the old "No plan ever survives first contact" quote the other day.
fighting up just the Southern Reentrant is going to be rough

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
fighting up just the Southern Reentrant is going to be rough
Yeah it wasn't the original plan, but no boats (besides the one lonely guy trying to hide) surviving the 37* INF of death in FF13 and no OBA, kinda killed the central attack. Forcing my hand at least on this first scenario.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But I don't have a lot of guys that can do anything about it now or tomorrow. My reinforcements tomorrow won't be great in numbers obviously

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry, What are the Victory Conditions? A summary is good if they are complicated.
The individual scenarios have no VC. The Germans must exit 100 non-prisoner EVP by CG end, providing the French cannot interdict the road they exited by, sufficiently to negate those EVP. That's a short and dirty. It is more precise than that.

phlegm027

Reaction score
The nazis have to exit 100 EVP (no prisoners count) off a west edge road and be able to trace a road route to the east edge. If the trench can put 30 firepower on this route any exiting units exiting that CG date using that route dont count Toward the German total.

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
And for our growing wine followers the 3rd bottle of wine was a decent affordable Dave Phinney Red "CA". Nice easy drinking blend.

Dave Phinney is the guy behind Orin Swift winery which I LOVE their stuff, even though I think he's left there.

The "CA" is a very nice under $20 red.

Tonight I think I will avoid the wine during play but since Neil is on his own this weekend he and I will dine with my wife on steaks and a VERY awesome Orin Swift Mercury Head cabernet sav. is on the plate I think, goes awesomely with steak!

:)
This would be a good addition to ASL tournaments - something like: