Dinant boats

gamesmeister

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
In the Dinant CG, boats can set up beached. As a beached boat is considered a vehicle, can I set up with a squad already loaded into a beached boat?

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Nope,...but we asked the same questions weeks back. Doing so would have allowed crossing the Meuse in one turn - something the rules are designed to prevent except for the Assault Boats. Your troops must be east of the river between hexes numbered 10 and 49.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nope,...but we asked the same questions weeks back. Doing so would have allowed crossing the Meuse in one turn - something the rules are designed to prevent except for the Assault Boats. Your troops must be east of the river between hexes numbered 10 and 49.
Sorry I missed this one meister, but exactly as stated above.

gamesmeister

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks. New question: If the Germans purchase the Raft section (B1), they need to unload each boat into a hex containing another MMC. They also can't do it while in bypass, as Transferring can't take place during the MPh. Which makes unloading those trucks almost impossible in the southern section of the city - there are almost no hexes that are valid drop off points. Is this correct?

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks. New question: If the Germans purchase the Raft section (B1), they need to unload each boat into a hex containing another MMC. They also can't do it while in bypass, as Transferring can't take place during the MPh. Which makes unloading those trucks almost impossible in the southern section of the city - there are almost no hexes that are valid drop off points. Is this correct?
Actually, that is incorrect except for Large Rafts. E5.2, because a Large Raft cannot enter a building. E5.122 to see what a Large raft is.

DN3.141 refers to transfer, which is in A4.431. Rally and Advance Phase are allowed for transfer. Also, a unit in Bypass is bypassing an Obstacle, but is still in its Location. Therefore, transfer of all except a Large Raft is possible.

gamesmeister

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ah yes, I always forget that units bypassing an obstacle are in the same location as the obstacle, which in this instance is key. That's great, thanks

gamesmeister

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just before I start on this crazy crossing, can I double check I understand the beaching rules right pls

The squad in QQ26 spends 1MF to load onto the beached assault boat across the QQ26/PP26 hex side. Any DFF he takes will be targeted at that hex side (and therefore in OG at level 0), and if he is pinned or broken he will return to QQ26 after all fire is complete.
Assuming he makes it this far, he now spends another 1MF to unbeach into PP26, another 1MF into OO26, and a final MF into NN25 where he can declare the boat as beaching.

Finally, in his APh, he can then advance out of the boat and into MM26. All sound ok?

If the boat is beached across an all water hex side (such as PP21/OO22), I assume any fire against a unit loading into that boat is still considered to be against a unit at level 0, not level -1, even though technically the boat is now at -1

Thanks again

gamesmeister

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Damn, another one...
Normal boat rules say a unit can load into a beached boat in the APh and then move into the water hex. I assume that because Dinant has the rule that it costs 1MF to enter the water hex, the unit instead remains beached until the start of its next MPh?

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Damn, another one...
Normal boat rules say a unit can load into a beached boat in the APh and then move into the water hex. I assume that because Dinant has the rule that it costs 1MF to enter the water hex, the unit instead remains beached until the start of its next MPh?
We asked a similar question to this and Dinant rules say that it costs 1MF in the "movement phase" to unbeach. Therefore if you enter in the "advance phase" you can unbeach as part of the same advance. WE confirmed this with Carl and have been playing this way.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
...The squad in QQ26 spends 1MF to load onto the beached assault boat across the QQ26/PP26 hex side....<snip>...If the boat is beached across an all water hex side (such as PP21/OO22), I assume any fire against a unit loading into that boat is still considered to be against a unit at level 0, not level -1, even though technically the boat is now at -1
See E5.51. If a unit loads into a beached Boat it is considered at the same level as the boat so the LOS would need to see the Level -1 hex. A firer could snap shot along the hexside level 0/-1 with all the usual effects. Otherwise the unit Loading is shot at in level -1 not Level 0.

Note also that FP at a beached Boat is at full FP, so, as Bilbo Baggins famously said, "It's a dangerous business, stepping out your front door. If you don't watch your step, there is no telling where you might get swept off to". This applies to the Meuse River as well.

If the boat is sunk then the Passengers use E5.53-5.531 for sinking and waterline. They would be subject to -2 Hazardous Mov for the duration of the DFPh.