Dilemma: Gettysburg or Shiloh

Boonierat

Biệt Ðộng Quân
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Looking for my next CWB to buy and I hesitate between Shiloh and Gettysburg. Getty would be the obvious choice, it's the mother of all ACW battles so to speak and one I particularly like, but then Shiloh is very appealing too, especially with all the additional battles like Donelson, Belmont, New Madrid etc...what is your opinion guys? also, what other battles is there in Gettysburg?

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Here's a "spotlight" page we did for Gettysburg on my old site:

http://www.hist-sdc.com/getty/index.html

Unfortunately we didn't do one for Shiloh, so I don't have all the details to compare for you that way. Shiloh's a good game as well, and seems to be pretty popular.

If you are equally interested in both then toss a coin I guess. :)

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Get Gettysburg. For the time being anyway, I think you'll find more people have it thus more possible opponents. It has more scenarios then you can shake a stick at and with the additional download package you will get more then you can play in a lifetime. It does only revolve around the Gettysburg campaign but the variations in the campaign game will keep you playing for a long time. Besides, it is the only battle where you can turn the tide of the war!

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is a dilemma. I have both and I play Gettysburg more ... but only because more people have it. I find Shiloh to be the much more interesting game because the scenarios are much more varied. Gettysburg is really short on decent 30 - 50 turn scenarios that involve infantry. Almost all the short scenarios in Gettysburg are cav based. The terrain in Shiloh is also more interesting (IMO).

Jim Cobb

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RangerBooBoo said:
Get Gettysburg. For the time being anyway, I think you'll find more people have it thus more possible opponents. It has more scenarios then you can shake a stick at and with the additional download package you will get more then you can play in a lifetime. It does only revolve around the Gettysburg campaign but the variations in the campaign game will keep you playing for a long time. Besides, it is the only battle where you can turn the tide of the war!
Naw, the war was won in the West! Shiloh was the turning point and the first day was the high tide of the Confederacy. :cool:

Boonierat

Biệt Ðộng Quân
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Thanks for your advice guys, I'm gonna go for Shiloh, it was one of my favourite Battleground games back in the days and I'm sure I will enjoy this version a lot :horse:

Btw Rich, any idea already of whats gonna be the next title? it would be nice to have the whole Fredericksburg/Chancelorsville battlefield on one map!

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
Boonierat said:
Btw Rich, any idea already of whats gonna be the next title? it would be nice to have the whole Fredericksburg/Chancelorsville battlefield on one map!
I would not count on getting anything about HPS plans. It's a big secret :dead: