Digby Tatham-Warter

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
the best character implementation in the entire movie "A Bridge too Far"...... They really nailed this chap's demeanor in that character!

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Don't worry about the bullets, I've got an umbrella"

Holy sh*t.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Don't worry about the bullets, I've got an umbrella"

Holy sh*t.
Did you notice his sister served as well? I wonder what she did. BTW, that guy was a total Studly! (a little whacked in the head, but absolutely studly)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Did you notice his sister served as well? I wonder what she did. BTW, that guy was a total Studly! (a little whacked in the head, but absolutely studly)
For the non-native speakers: What does that mean?

Besides: Probably most of these crazies (umbrella-wielding, longbow-shooting, whatever) got weeded out Darwin-style and went trampled unnoticed. For sure, I wouldn't take my chances for such bull.

von Marwitz

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Probably most of these crazies (umbrella-wielding, longbow-shooting, whatever) got weeded out Darwin-style and went trampled unnoticed.
I was thinking about that the other night.... it'd be interesting to do a comparative study of the casualty rates amongst bag-pipe playing, claymore-wielding lunatics and the general population of whatever units to which the aforementioned lunatics were assigned.

I'm inclined to think that you're right, and that the casualty rates were much higher, but I'd be curious to put some numbers to it and know just how much higher.

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For the non-native speakers: What does that mean?
"studly" is most often used to indicate that someone (usually male) is a "stud", implying strong, brave, exemplary, etc.

I am guessing that it comes from the usage of the word in relation to horses. When an exemplary (male) race horse has completed it's racing career, it is often put out to stud, wherein the owner charges fees to female horse owners to mate with the male horse.

Alan

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I was thinking about that the other night.... it'd be interesting to do a comparative study of the casualty rates amongst bag-pipe playing, claymore-wielding lunatics and the general population of whatever units to which the aforementioned lunatics were assigned.
You only hear about the ones that lived.

Go back to Apocalypse Now and listen to the narration around Kilgore. He's described as "one of those" officers who had a "weird light" around him, and "you just knew he was going to live through war without as much as a scratch." (Quotes are paraphrases.) Good fiction is borne of truth. Audacious leaders inspire their men to great deeds also - in fact, that notion is the cornerstone of the Squad Leader/ASL leadership model. It's not just the dingbat waving an umbrella, it's the 35 men behind him who see it and pull their faces out of the dirt so as not to let him down.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I'm inclined to think that you're right, and that the casualty rates were much higher, but I'd be curious to put some numbers to it and know just how much higher.
A line attributed to Chesty Puller is "Dying is what lieutenants do." Meaning they are leading their men from the front, and doing so can be fatal.

Another EX. In the first Indochina war...the FUF (French Union Forces) suffered on the order of 75,000 dead...of which 20,500 were French of these....4 were generals..., 1,300 were lieutenants.