Difficult Affaire (Firefight 1)

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, we played 'Difficult Affaire' last night. It was interesting (went down to the last turn), but felt a little bit like 'Bambi meets Godzilla'.

My opponent was the Russians. His random reinforcement was the commissar and additional squad.

He set up the pillbox back on the plateau in C5, with gullies on three sides, populated with the MMG and crew. The mortar was on the hill in G9 (brush). The artillery spotter was on the left flank (in G1). Two squads were set up in the front and the final squad was back in the back right corner, just waiting to be found.

I drew the Germans. My random reinforcement was the INF gun at setup.

I initially thought about setting up both MMGs on map, but I decided against it because they wouldn't have unconcealed targets. (Now, I'm not so sure. If they set up as Opportunity Firers, they probably will get some shots in the AFPh.)

The INF was in the middle. I set up my OBA spotter on my left flank and three squads on the right flank (across the gully). I figured the units coming on in turn 1 would move up the middle.

He revealed three units during my MPh, only causing me to lose a HS. I took some shots with little effect and moved in closer. That's when the hammer came down.

Finesses seems to be the rule of the day when you're moving in open ground quickly against only three squads. But when 16 FP attacks rain down from the sky, finesse goes out the window.

When the Russian OBA landed on target, broken German units started showing the path of my advance. The saving grace is that the German 120mm OBA also landed on target.

The middle of the game was spent maneuvering around each other's FFEs. Like I said, interesting. But it was like waiting for Godzilla to take out units (questionable in foxholes) while I moved on to clear the plateau.

I got on to the plateau with 4.5 squads. Then his reinforcements appeared. Hmmm, two concealed units assault moving onto the board in a crag on the other side of a gully. With two turns left. That could be a challenge.

Actually, it ended up pretty close. My OBA broke or eliminated the units on his right flank (with a lucky scatter die roll). I got a HS to the pillbox, thru the mines, thru the wire and ready to enter CC. But my fanatic squad broke on a halved Final Fire shot from the reinforcements. That happened in turn 5.

It played close, but it was like periods of careful maneuver punctuated with incredibly powerful OBA. Not bad, just not sure it's to my liking. But I'll probably play it again.