Differences between the HPS Civil War games and the ones from Talonsoft

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
This question is really oriented at those who own or have played both the games from HPS and Talonsoft. What are the main differences between the two series? Opinions of which is better?

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Talonsoft game is played in mulitphases. Assuming you use Tiller's 32 bit upgrades a pbem turn would consist of you moving your forces, the computer conducting defensive fire, then you conducting offensive fire and melee's and then sending the turn to your opponent for him to repeat the steps. The HPS engine allows you to do this but you also have the option of playing so you can play in a single phase where you can move your forces, fire, or melee in any order you choose during your turn while the computer fires defensively while you move, fire, or melee. This method will theoretically allow the computer to shoot your units in every hex they move to as they move and prevents the tactic of moving your troops across open ground and then hiding them at the end of the move with terrain and preventing them being fired upon at all. It also gives artillery more of a role since they can set up and fire more effectively as the enemy approaches. The HPS engine offers weak ZoC meaning you can retreat through a ZoC rather then losing the entire unit. Also, losses are taken individually rather then in 25 man chunks. While I think the HPS system doesn't give defensive fire enough power the system of shooting at units as they move rather then one time has it's merits. And of course the HPS games have the campaign option which allows you to fight a series of battles in a campaign, meaning you have to take into account your losses because you may have to fight another battle after the one you are playing. I think the campaign system is where the HPS game really shines. As to a preference, I think the Talonsoft system actually accounts for defensive fire somewhat better but the HPS system has it beat otherwise.

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Just tacking on to Mark's comments, a big difference in the systems is the maps. In the HPS titles there are a lot more of them, and the vast majority of them are significantly larger. So not only does this give you more options on scenarios and different ground to fight on, it also makes you think a bit more when fighting.

For example, take the Talon Gettysburg battle and the HPS Gettysburg battle. The map for the HPS game is easily 10 times the size of the Battleground one. So there's no map edge to anchor a flank on. You must use scouting efficiently (which encourages the historic use of cavalry), you must maintain a reserve, as there's no telling where you might need it, and it's quite possible to disengage from one battle only to have to fight another before you get the chance to consolidate. And, on meeting engagements it gives you the opportunity to choose your ground.

Additionally, with Talon you got one battle, and maybe some small action that was "close by". In HPS you get an entire campaign worth of content, in same cases over a dozen battles.

Some other difference are the ability to play on-line in a multiplayer fashion. I've played games with 2 guys per side, both guys on a team are able to do all their movements, etc. at the same time greatly speeding up game play.

I know there's other differences too, but it's been almost 2 years since I played the BG games, so I can't remember any more right now. However my vote is hands-down HPS over the Talonsoft titles.

Nico

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llPoland
Both games has such poor AI, that You can close Your eyes and win...;) Apart from that I like both games, altough move&fire in HPS is making game more interesting then old move then fire in battleground games.