Die Hochseeflotte

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Re: The Kaiserliche Marine in Flanders

So any of you who woulnd't have been stumped by a question for the name of the Kaiserliche Marine's working elephant in the "quiet here" thread?

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

You'd have stumped me with the elephant question :).

BTW, that pic ofthe "Tirpitz" battery.... I was under the impression that they built a turret around the guns. Is that true and your photo here was taken before then, or did I hear wrong about the turrets? I know the "Kaiser Wilhelm II battery had turrets--seen pics of them being demolished after the war.

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Here is a pic of "Tirpitz" showing it with turrets (Second row, second pic to the left)
Thanks. We gave them turrets in the game as you've probably seen, but it's been so long since I set up the Flanders batteries that when I saw TBR's photo, I was no longer sure I'd done it right :).

Very cool pics, especially because I`m involved in heavy fights in Flanders.
How are the Brit and French batteries down there treating you? :).

Zakalwe

Reaction score
Country
llGermany

Well,

I`m not that far into the campaign that I have made my way really into the channel. I`m trying to wear down the light forces first with CLs and am constantly mining as you can see in the attached pic. It seems I have Beattys attention now too. Maybe I can trap him, as I know the GF is near Scapa, they captured one of my merchants up there. But I still have to get my fleet out, my TF is CL "Wiesbaden", "Elbing" and "Graudenz". HSF and Scouting Forces just have finished repairs from bumbing into Harwich Force at night.

But once out in the channel I`ll try to avoid the coastal batteries at all costs, I`ve seen what mine have already done to British and French forces, don`t like the idea of being on the receiving end.... :D

Z.

edit: can someone tell what`s the big arcs in the night attack pics? Monitors shelling?

Last edited:

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

But once out in the channel I`ll try to avoid the coastal batteries at all costs, I`ve seen what mine have already done to British and French forces, don`t like the idea of being on the receiving end.... :D
It's hard to avoid them in the daylight. There's not much gap at all between the coverage of the Brit batteries at Dover and the French batteries at Calais.

edit: can someone tell what`s the big arcs in the night attack pics? Monitors shelling?
If my reading of the caption is correct, that's flak. I'd venture to guess it's tracer from 37mm Maxims, because rifle-caliber MG tracer wouldn't last that long I don't think. You don't see this sort of thing these days, because since WW2 the tracers of medium AAA rounds eventually burn into the exposive cavity and cause the round to self-destruct instead of falling back to earth. You can see this in the video of air attacks on Baghdad--tracer burst goes up and disappears, shortly followed by numerous small explosions in the sky. But I guess in WW1 they hadn't yet realized this was a good idea :).

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany

Sorry for the slant in this and other pictures, after three tries to scan this page more "straight" I finally noticed the low quality of the set in this book, the photos are slanted on the pages, it's not my scanning.

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany

See, the RN did find a use for its old AC's and PC's...

Last edited: