Country
llGermany
Re: Jutland - the pictoral countdown

And now to begin a new chapter in the pictoral countdown:
Auslandskreuzer
starting with "Emden"

lower caption:
burning oil tanks of the "Burma Oil Company" in Madras
on the 22nd of September 1914 about 130 shots got fired under lamp illumination within 10 minutes. 1 1/2 million gallons of oil were destroyed.

Last edited:

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany

If that had been a Brit we almost certainly would've seen a huge mushroom cloud with turrets, armor, masts, and funnels flying through the air.
Yes, the pictures sure do reinforce what Bullethead was saying all along about the relative dangerousness of British and German propellant.

Rhetor

Reaction score
Country
llPoland

Smokestacks fallen, mast gone, superstructure almost missing - let's hope that in Distant Guns 3 we might see such level of eye-candy.

Wawotsch

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland

The glowing splinters of the barbette thrust into the reloading chamber and ignited the main- and preload cartouches
Interesting. I suppose this means a hit could reach the magazines probably regardless of the quality of flash protection.

kotori87

Reaction score

Wow, what a treat! The Emden story is one of the most inspiring stories that I've heard from WWI. I wonder if anybody has tried to make a Silent Hunter mod for it...

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany

Interesting. I suppose this means a hit could reach the magazines probably regardless of the quality of flash protection.
In this case it was the pre-loading chamber, where cartouches are prepared and shells and detonators mated, not the magazine. But the point is that here more than 6 tons of propellant ignited without blowing the ship up diretly or by igniting the high explosive filler of the shells in the magazine. In a British ship 6tons of propellant igniting would have destroyed the ship because of the far more rapid (read explosive) burn tempo of British propellant.

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany

Wow, what a treat! The Emden story is one of the most inspiring stories that I've heard from WWI. I wonder if anybody has tried to make a Silent Hunter mod for it...
I'll continue the story of the "Auslandskreuzer" tomorrow :)

Von der Tann

Schlachtkreuzer
Reaction score
Country
llGermany

Please do. I am anxious to see what your little gem of a book has to say about SMS Königsberg...

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany

French destroyer "Mousquet"

SMS Emden met the frenchman on leaving Penang after the destruction of the small Russian cruiser Zemtchug. With the third salvo the destroyer got hit in steam lines or boiler. The frenchman managed to fire with one gun and missed Emden with a torpedo. "Mousquet" sank, one officer and 35 men were saved.

The destroyed deck of "Emden"

The Australian cruiser "Sydney" surprised "Emden" near Direction island. The esnsuing battle resulted in the destruction of our cruiser. "Emden" was bombarded into a wreck and set upon the reef of the North-Keeling island. The far more heavily gunned "Sydney" got hit 16 times, which caused 4 KIA and 17 WIA. "Emden" lost eight officers, 126 crewmen, 2 officers and 63 crewmen wounded. Six officers and 111 crewmen were saved. Remarkable is the fact that, as seen in this picture, the command turret of "Emden" remained intact throughout the battle, which lasted from 0940 to 1115.

Last edited:

HReardon

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

In that picture the "Mousquet" looks like something that should be delivering noodle soup window to window in the "Fifth Element".

I have never seen those two views of Emden before. Sad end to a plucky campaign.

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

In that picture the "Mousquet" looks like something that should be delivering noodle soup window to window in the "Fifth Element".
Oh come now, Mousquet should be familiar to you. After all, the Russians in the RJW game have several DDs built to essentially the same plans.

I have never seen those two views of Emden before. Sad end to a plucky campaign.
A short life and a merry :toast:

HReardon

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

the Russians in the RJW game have several DDs built to essentially the same plans
Yeah, but not festooned with all the awnings and tarps and so.

I love all the tumblehome. It looks like they started out designing a submarine only to decide, "Aw, lets add a superstructure for grins"

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Re: The Kaiserlich Marine in Turkey

After the Bombardment of the Algerian coast by "Goeben" and "Breslau" English battlecruisers com into sight on the 4th of August 1914. They are "Indefatigable" and "Indomitable" following the German ships with high speed but not attacking because the state of war with England did not come into being until midnight of that day. The smal cruiser "Dublin" and others joined as well.

The English pursuers The English battlecruisers got out of sight on 3:50 in the afternoon, only the small cruiser "Dublin" stayed in touch until 9:00.

Quarterdeck SMS "Goeben" in heavy seas and at fast speed

Last edited:

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Re: The Kaiserlich Marine in Turkey

More to come of this subject in this thread.

Upcoming subjects: The Kaiserliche Marine in Flanders, The U-Boot war, mine warfare, Hilfskreuzer

Last edited: