Die Hochseeflotte

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Re: Jutland - the pictoral countdown

Ok, I just got back to my -at work weekday (and too many weekends)- flat and still had some energy left so I did a quick scan of a few pictures to start the "Dogger Bank" series. Excuse me for not providing an translation but you all did a very good job and got it all. If you want any translation of content I posted done just ask, but I'll try to do so myself in future.

And here is the first Dogger Bank map:

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany

Here is today's picture:

The German battlecruisers under enemy fire
Original picture of the battle taken from an accompaning cruiser. The height of the english impacts reached two to three times the mast height (42m) of the German cruisers. Battlecruiser "Moltke" is invisible behind "Seydlitz".

"Seydlitz" firing starboard astern, the turrets are in the exact same position as during the battle.

Fairweather

Reaction score
Country
ll

I don't know why, but that picture of Lion makes her look really slab sided. More like a depot ship.

Double Whisky

Reaction score
Country
llPoland

I don't know why, but that picture of Lion makes her look really slab sided. More like a depot ship.
You are right. Lions had a nice looking silhouettes, but on most close taken pictures they look rather slab sided and not so pretty...

It's just a thought, but may be their hulls were based on BB design, lenghtened by added sections amidship?

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany

Today it's two pictures (didn't want to divide the sequence)

kotori87

Reaction score

I see several of what I'm guessing are shell-holes in the underside of the Blucher, there. They're pretty obvious, with a dard spot at the top and a stream of white water pouring out. But what about the big, wide waterfalls? Are those giant cracks in the underside of the ship? Some random bump on the bottom of the hull? What's going on here?

Fairweather

Reaction score
Country
ll

They seem to all be on the same line (roughly), so perhaps the water is running of a bilge keel?

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany

I think some of them are failed seams which sprang open because of impacts or explosions.

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany

That "Yamato" movie made me reminiscene the time I held one of those white staffs with black rings as Batterieoffizier and Feuerverteiloffizier :).

Yang

Reaction score
Country
llGermany

I liked the Yamato movie, its really refreshingly different from the stuff hollywood produces with all the usual herofications & glorification (albeit gory). Sure, the Japanese like to present themselves as innocent saints and memorize Hiroshima while removing all Nanking-references from their (School-)books so there was a little of that in the Yamato movie as well (my eyebrow twitched when i saw some scenes ;)) but overall it was enjoyable imho. I wonder if there was really anything about those "Beehive-shells" fired by Yamatos main guns in the movie? Maybe they really developed such shells as means too further improve their AA capabilities. Though seeing how stacked and bristling with AA-guns US ships were late in the war Yamatos bow was surely empty. Then again lots of triple 25mm guns would have certainly ruined her looks making her the laughingstock and disgrace of the Navy, so maybe they were considering aesthetics and were influenced by Feng-Shui principles?

Last edited:

Rhetor

Reaction score
Country
llPoland

I wonder if there was really anything about those "Beehive-shells" fired by Yamatos main guns in the movie?
AFAIK, the Japanese designed and used anti-aircraft shells for battleship's main guns, although from what I have read it seems that these shels were used sparsely because firing them meant excessive wear of the barrels.

Yang

Reaction score
Country
llGermany

During the war when the need for increasing AA capability arose or from the start on? Just looked it up in "Anatomy of the Ship" but there is obviously not much info there except for the shell being filled with 900 incendiary tubes and 600 steel stays triggered by a time fuse. Muzzle velocity of this "San-Shiki" shell is the same as the HE shell (805 m/s compared to the 780 m/s of regular AP shells).