Did we do this correctly?

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A concealed Russian 447 advances into a building location where three German unconcealed 247s reside.

Russian wins ambush roll, kills one 247 at 2-1, survives German CC roll and stays concealed in the building location.

Remaining two German 247s Prep at concealed Russian 447 with no effect. During German CC phase, once again Russian concealed 447 ambushes the two 247s and again kills one of them at 2-1, surviving German CC roll and stays concealed in the building location.

Next Russian CC phase, the 447 again ambushes the last remaining German 247, kills it at 2-1 and withdraws to another building location, still concealed.

All good?

Rich

atomic

Reaction score
First name
Asad
Country
llSweden
No, not all good. First off, the Russian squad loses concealment in the CC attack and ends up in Melee with the remaining two german HS. In the ensuing PFPh, none of the now locked in melee units can fire, nor can they move or perform any actions at all until the next CCPh in which normal CC will ensue without any chance of Ambush.

/asad

buser333

Reaction score
No, not all good. First off, the Russian squad loses concealment in the CC attack and ends up in Melee with the remaining two german HS. In the ensuing PFPh, none of the now locked in melee units can fire, nor can they move or perform any actions at all until the next CCPh in which normal CC will ensue without any chance of Ambush.

/asad
The Russian squad does not lose concealment as it made a successful ambush attack. It does not need to eliminate all units, only the ones it attacked. Therefore no melee since concealment was retained.

There would be no ambush roll however, unless other units advanced into CC with the existing units.

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Russian squad does not lose concealment as it made a successful ambush attack. It does not need to eliminate all units, only the ones it attacked. Therefore no melee since concealment was retained.

There would be no ambush roll however, unless other units advanced into CC with the existing units.
I beleive there is an ambush roll because of the unit which retained concealment. No advance needed when there's a concealed unit in the mix.... the sad part is the poor germans couldnt even manage to strip concealment with TPBF.

So I think it is all good. And there will be an extra ration or two of vodka for those lads tonight.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I believe one still needs an advance to trigger Ambush drs (the only exception, IIRC, is when a hidden unit is placed onboard at the start of the CCPh).

A11.4:
"Whenever Infantry advance into CC (unless reinforcing a Melee) in a woods/building Location or with/against a concealed unit(s) an Ambush can conceivably occur."

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe one still needs an advance to trigger Ambush drs (the only exception, IIRC, is when a hidden unit is placed onboard at the start of the CCPh).

A11.4:
"Whenever Infantry advance into CC (unless reinforcing a Melee) in a woods/building Location or with/against a concealed unit(s) an Ambush can conceivably occur."
Yes I believe if Ambush would be possible in all situations concerning against a concealed unit there would be a comma after "Location" denoting a distinctly separate thought process (i.e. would not have to include an advance then).

atomic

Reaction score
First name
Asad
Country
llSweden

Doh! I stand corrected. And I thought I had a grip on this... I guess that'll be 5 Our Fathers and 5 Hail Marys.
/asad

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Not even if other units advanced in in a later turn

11.4 AMBUSH: Whenever Infantry advance into CC [BOLD](unless reinforcing a Melee)[/BOLD]

buser333

Reaction score
Not even if other units advanced in in a later turn

11.4 AMBUSH: Whenever Infantry advance into CC [BOLD](unless reinforcing a Melee)[/BOLD]
But there was no existing Melee in this case, just units occupying the same hex.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of the surviving half squads NAM out of the building location and back in (stairs 2 MF total, different hex 4 MF). When he reenters, the concealment comes off and the CC counter earned. No loss of control by the German. Advance in the APh, roll for ambush and lose the pesky -2 for concealment.

That would have been my response assuming that control of that location was critical.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
No CC counter would be placed even when the HS is bumped back and the Russian unit lose Concealment.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Withdraw next time after you ambush him...then advance again..and do it again and again and again until that FILTHY GERMAN SCUM concedes!!