Did we do this correctly?

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All hedges are bocage

Ami turn!

Sherman starts up and moves to hex K8, does not bog. German 468 in loses WA when Sherman enters hex.

468 looks for faust, gets one and burns the Sherman in K8.

Ami 666 moves to K7 and claims WA.

My Questions:

A. Is the above correct and 666 gains WA?
B. If the Sherman is destroyed but does not burn, does 666 gain WA?
C. If the Panzerfaust misses and Sherman drives to J9, does the 666 gain WA.

We thought in all cases the 666 gains WA.

Thanks,
Rich

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
A. No (the 468 regains automatically WA, see example with the Carrier on page B10B)
B. No (the TEM does not apply yet, see D9.3 and D10.3)
C. No (see answer A)

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Using Armored Assault it could be accomplished that the 666 would gain WA. As soon as the vehicle enters K8, and if the 666 were to remain in K7 the 468 would be compelled to lose WA & the 666 would be granted mandatory WA regardless if the German unit obtained a PF & destroyed the AFV while in-hex.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My doubt comes from the WA rules. They state there are five times when a unit can claim WA.

So the defender loses WA when the AFV enters its hex, so it must wait for one of the five times to occur.

Meanwhile the 666 can move and claim WA in its MPh.

Armored Assault certainly would work, but the 666 would the take an 8 flat shot in the adjacent hex.

Looks sleazy from a reality perspective, but so does much else (ie. VBM).

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
My doubt comes from the WA rules. They state there are five times when a unit can claim WA.
So the defender loses WA when the AFV enters its hex, so it must wait for one of the five times to occur.
Meanwhile the 666 can move and claim WA in its MPh.
Armored Assault certainly would work, but the 666 would the take an 8 flat shot in the adjacent hex.
Looks sleazy from a reality perspective, but so does much else (ie. VBM).
I understand your rationale and it would be a reasonable deduction if the example did not exist. B9.323 could have been clearer as well.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Five times you can voluntarily claim WA.

Since Mandatory WA applies, the German unit must claim WA again. See also Deluxe example at the end of the Section.

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
666 may declare armored assault and move to K7 with the AFV.. the AFV moves alone to the 468 hex and then the 666 gets the WA when the 468 loses it because the AFV entering the hex... i mean 666 gets the WA if adjacent when the enemy loses it even momentarily.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Indeed, but note that the AFV may not move further than the 666 could, so the 666 would need to move without using Assault Movement.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Indeed, but note that the AFV may not move further than the 666 could, so the 666 would need to move without using Assault Movement.
The operative word there is "could". Not declaring double-time the 666 could conceivably spend a total 4 MF and enter K8 if it were not for the 468 there or spend it other places as well (Star burst for example). There should be no problem with the 666 moving only to K7 using Armored Assault, baring declaring using Assault Movement to do so as you noted, and just stop there as the vehicle enters K8. [provided just as a further clarification as I'm fairly certain you are aware of this].

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
That indeed my reasoning.
The tank would not be allowed to move out of the 666 hex if the squad declared AM.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
That indeed my reasoning.
The tank would not be allowed to move out of the 666 hex if the squad declared AM.
Correct.

In this context, it is also of significance if CX by the Infantry taking part in an Armored Assault is declared at the start of its MPh or during its MPh.

von Marwitz