Did the U.S. land on the moon?

undrgrndhx

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I personally believe we did..i do realize that there is some evidence to support that we staged the whole thing, and i have read numurous sites about this subject..so did U.S. land on the moon?

SoccerDJ

Reaction score
Country
ll
From what I've seen and read on the subject I believe that the US did land on the moon. Although I've never been up there so I wouldn't know ;)

Deltapooh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Alot of the evidence centers around photoghaphy issues and some mechanical issues. Both of these issues have been argued. Most scientists believe the landings were real. A larger group feel some photographs were faked though.

Conspiracies are popular. I believe Apollo 11 was successful. Just because the Russians failed doesn't mean it was impossible.

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
LoL ... look at yourselves... :D

I NEVER heard anybody question the credibility of that landing --- until I came to the US! .... seriously, do you guys know any non-Americans questioning this thing?

Indeed, I think it is a huge disrespect to those brilliant and brave astronauts, as well as the tens of thousands of hard working people in NASA in all those years ---- to question it the way some1 showed it.

Johnny Canuck

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Priest said:
We landed on the moon thanks to the talents of a large group of dedicated men. My hats off to them.
You got that right.

I remember being glued to the TV for the Gemini and Apollo missions when I was young. It was a great era for space exploration.

Deltapooh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Andrew Tuline said:
You got that right.

I remember being glued to the TV for the Gemini and Apollo missions when I was young. It was a great era for space exploration.
Man you're old. :D

The first space mission I can recall was the Challenger accident.

ER_Chaser said:
LoL ... look at yourselves...

I NEVER heard anybody question the credibility of that landing --- until I came to the US! .... seriously, do you guys know any non-Americans questioning this thing?
Yes, look at us. Americans behaving in an anti-American manner. Now we have a good reason to course to ourselves.

ER_Chaser said:
Indeed, I think it is a huge disrespect to those brilliant and brave astronauts, as well as the tens of thousands of hard working people in NASA in all those years ---- to question it the way some1 showed it.
Might be. However, we are talking aboout the same government who actually considered drugging Fidel Castro to make him look stupid on television, and even shaving off his beard.

To understand why some people might question the lunar landings, you must place yourself in that time period.

The US was both frightened and embarassed by Sputnik. Up until then, Americans thought little about space exploration. One of the scientists said the week before Sputnik showed up over the US, he was taking trips to Washington and to beg for funding. By October 6, 1957, he was the most important man in the country, with money just pouring in.

From then on, it was race that was filled with many failures. The task accomplished was enormous when you consider the technology available, the knowledge we had, and the conditions that had to be addressed. It was a mission impossible.

Finally, there is the point SoccerDJ raised. All the evidence that have could be questioned. Only a handful of people have actually been to the moon. NASA overstated some points such as the ability to see reflectors placed by humans with telescopes. They didn't count on factors that would make this difficult.

Eisenhower made sure as many people saw the Concentration Camps as possible. If it weren't for all the witnesses, and Nazi Germany's excellent record keeping, I'm certain alot of people would question the Holocaust. Many would also question Hiroshima had they not seen the destruction.

NASA was planning on releasing a book to counter conspiracy-theorists. However, it wisely chose to cancel the project. Of course, this only added fuel to the fire.

So is it distasteful? Maybe. Does it matter? Since so few people believe it, no. Most scientists around the world believe it because they understand the data provided by the missions. They also know more about how the effort was accomplished, and why the USSR lost a race that for all intents and purposes it was winning at the outset.

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I can vouch for Sputnik 'cause I saw it with my own two eyes.

The Moon landing I saw on TV, as far as I am concerned it happened. If it didn't an awful lot of people (1,000's) would have had to keep their mouths shut for a very long time.

There again the Enimga secret was kept under wraps for almost thirty years!

Priest

Reaction score
Well, until the conspirists come up with a whole lot better evidence than they have...we went to the moon.

ALF

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think Deltapooh got it right. Some questionable photos doesn't mean the landings didn't occur, but that some PR guys lost their heads getting the storys out. :)

Priest

Reaction score
laszlo.nemedi said:
Next time they should take me with them, and I promise I will tell you the truth... :D
Well laszlo, when you get to the moon just hold up a big sign that says; "WHQ Rocks" so that we will know that it's you.

Priest

Reaction score
laszlo.nemedi said:
Deal...

When should I start the preparation? Is it cold there?
Not on the side you're going to, take your bathing suit and beach umbrella...oh yeah and plenty of brew.

laszlo.nemedi

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
Priest said:
Not on the side you're going to, take your bathing suit and beach umbrella...oh yeah and plenty of brew.
Bathing suit? Do we have a pipeline to there, in this case I don't have to miss the (hmmm) boy's room...

Priest

Reaction score
laszlo.nemedi said:
Bathing suit? Do we have a pipeline to there, in this case I don't have to miss the (hmmm) boy's room...
Not yet, but, don't worry you can go behind the nearest rock.

Black Moria

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I saw a show on Discovery channel sometime ago in which they discussed the salient points of the conspiracy theorists who claim that the US did not land on the moon, and then used experts in optics, physics and others to show that the conspiracy theorist's 'evidence' was outright wrong and lacked supporting evidence for their point of view.

The evidence claimed by the conspiracy theorists is weak and is easily refuted by knowledge of optics and everyday physics.

Don't know why this issue still commands attention after all this time.