Did the forum get ugly, with adverts and colours?

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I haven't been here for a week or so.

Did the forum get ugly, with adverts and colours?

B e n

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
If these adds continue I wouldn't come here so often. I got no problem paying a small amount to disable them a la Bgg but they are super intrusive.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Browsers will let you customize the css for a site, but that requires you to write the css. I am considering doing that, but it is only very high on my list of priorities so I have not done it yet. Someone described it as the Miami Dolphins theme, and it is not growing on me. I am hoping Dr. Zaius gets us other options in the meanwhile.

JR

benj

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I am not a big fan of the new color scheme, but that is a matter of taste. I have not seen ads, but adblock may have done the job silently.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Thanks. The app adblock works great!
It's also a great way to ensure the site goes away.
Let me pay a fee for ad less.
Been that way for several years. Subscribers get no ads.

This isn't magic, people. Some of you might be shocked at just what it costs to keep a big forum site like this running. Ads and subscriptions don't even come close to covering the expenses.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I did not know about the subscribers thing
Well, I've put links all over the front of the forum, made announcements about it, and tried everything I could think of to let people know it's an option.

I suppose I could have been much more aggressive with it, but I'm sure it would have taken about five seconds for the complaining to start if I had.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In some of the game sections there are advertisements for a server service. And there are also ads in several places on the site.

Ahh, just for the record I did not post the above under the current "annoying" tag in the ASL section. But rather posted it elsewhere under issues to mods. About which I was unaware this was the new norm. Just for the record as wall uncool to drag my post into the ASL forum section which I never intended my post to be in. Not cool mods.