Dice Color in Beyond Valor?

Kaiax33

Reaction score
First name
Kai
Country
llUnited States
Hey all,

Just picked up a used copy of BV 3rd Edition as a I begin to move from ASLSK to ASL. The game only came with 2 dice. Can anyone tell me the size (same size as ASLSK dice?) and color of the dice in BV? The completionist in me is going crazy.

Much thanks!

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think mine, purchased in 1992 had white, black, green, and blue.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hey all,

Just picked up a used copy of BV 3rd Edition as a I begin to move from ASLSK to ASL. The game only came with 2 dice. Can anyone tell me the size (same size as ASLSK dice?) and color of the dice in BV? The completionist in me is going crazy.

Much thanks!
The answers so far indicate, that as a 'complete completionist' you should strive to acquire several sets of the three versions of BV in shrinkwrapped condition with all the documented combinations of colored dice within.

Err, wait... ;)

von Marwitz

Last edited:

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My original - way back in 1989 - had black, blue, red, and green - no white dice. Way back then we had make our own white dice.

Actually for a couple of years I used the black die as the white die.

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh my. I just checked my copy of the RB, and A.1 DICE does not specify the colors of the "colored" die or their number and does not even specify which is the "colored" die in a DR of just two dice! I know it's customarily a red die, but still, a very serious omission. Perhaps I have overlooked prior errata?

For the record, mine (BV 1st ed. purchased at first release) were white, red, blue and green. Not French blue, or Prussian blue, mind you, but sort of darkened late afternoon blue tending to the green (call it a super blue teal perhaps). And the green is a spring green of deciduous growth, though with more green then yellow--perhaps 3 weeks into the leaves unfurling? Sorry, but I don't have the RGB values handy.,

Looking at some of the other comments, I suspect the official set was whatever AH could find in the discount bin that week.

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got mine the next year, possibly the same place you did if you got it at the Sentry Box.

Same colors - WHITE, RED, YELLOW, BLUE
Must have been the international edition.

But really, the implications here are enormous. We should drop this before the collectors' hear that there may be some doubt as the authenticity of their BV, 1st Ed., 1st Printing because of the color of their dice, green or yellow. Soon, accusations of intentional and fraudulent destruction of value will begin to fly until a self-appointed collection of ASL worthies with gray hair and poor eyesight caused by years of squinting at the RB definitively rules (allegations of self-interest and bias, if not bribery, will then swirl about for years after). Once the dust settles, however, values will completely collapse when it is revealed that unscrupulous dice manufacturers have been haunting gaming conventions, offering undetectable dice in whatever color your set lacks.

I am discounting the guy claiming a black die instead a white die as A.1 is specific as to the set including a white die: I suspect, on no other basis whatsoever, that this sample suffers from cross-contamination with another game's die set. Still, if true, that copy of BV may have the additional value often ascribed to a misstruck coin or misprinted postage stamp. If you have provenance documentation JR, hold that copy tight!

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
My best friend and I bought them from the same store at the same time. Mine was white, black, blue, red and his was white, black, green, yellow. Always varied.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My best friend and I bought them from the same store at the same time. Mine was white, black, blue, red and his was white, black, green, yellow. Always varied.
Unusual not to see a red die, but as Russ points out, the rules cover that.