Diablo 3

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm curious: has anyone pre-ordered Diablo 3?

I don't plan to. I figure might as well wait and see what bugs need to be squished, not to mention avoiding the inevitable delays as the Diablo servers melt down on launch day (Blizzard is already posting advisories on this possibility :D). Still, after having a blast with the Diablo clone that is Torchlight, I can definitely see me getting the game at some point. I hope Blizzard releases a "starter edition" (i.e., demo) shortly after launch, as they have done with Starcraft II and WoW.

Looking forward to next week's launch. If nothing else, it will pry me away from my CoD:MW3 addiction. :D

Here's a vid...because there must always be a vid. :)

[video=youtube;Eobmq3v7rSs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eobmq3v7rSs[/video]

Wodin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I watched vid of a different ACRPG due out soon, I think it was path of exile, what I liked about it was that it looked slow with slower animations so it could be appreciated more. Diablo 3 looks like it all goes way to quick for me.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
About time Blizzard got a video out there explaining the game to those who might never have played any of the originals.

[video=youtube;EKY1pK7VOgI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKY1pK7VOgI[/video]

Again, it looks and plays just like Torchlight, but without pets (darn, I liked the pets in Torchlight). I think I'll finish Torchlight before I take the plunge into this game. That will give Blizzard the time to get the bugs out.

Wodin said:
I watched vid of a different ACRPG due out soon, I think it was path of exile, what I liked about it was that it looked slow with slower animations so it could be appreciated more. Diablo 3 looks like it all goes way to quick for me.
I never heard of Path of the Exile before, but it looks interesting, too. And it is going to be F2P!

[video=youtube;k8779Ff_qoc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8779Ff_qoc[/video]

Then there is Torchlight 2, and Grim Dawn.

Yes, action RPGs are the new thang. :)

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rats:

Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details

Battle.net offers details on Blizzard's plan to offer Diablo III Starter Editions & Guest Passes for the action/RPG that's going live tomorrow (which means it's already live in territories where it's tomorrow already). They say the Diablo III Starter Edition will not be available without a Guest Pass until further notice, and that Guest Pass keys are included in all box copies of Diablo III. Here's what the Starter version will include:
  • Act I up to the Skeleton King is available
  • Level 13 cap
  • Matchmaking available only with other Starter Edition players
  • No Real Money Auction House access
I suspect this is just to help ease the burden on Blizzard's servers during the next few furious days of activity.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Live coverage of Blizzard's midnight launch event:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/machinima?v=0RBCEV1yyD8[/video]

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
*yawn*

Wake me when there's finally one with a good enough 'RPG' side (read 'plot') to overcome the 'action' side....
You do realize that is never going to happen, right? :) Game devs might be great coders, but their story skills seem to be based on watching awful Hollywood movies. And even when they hire a real writer, the story is so chopped up by the needs of the game that it is usually rendered to mush anyway. That is why story-based games are meaningless to me. I'd rather have a sandbox game that allows me to tell my own story.

Looks like I was right to not go near Diablo 3 with a ten foot poll until the hype dies down:

Diablo III: Emergency Maintenance *Updated

1:55 p.m. PDT - Starting at approximately 2:15 p.m. PDT, we will be bringing Diablo III servers in the Americas offline for urgent maintenance to address several issues that are impacting the game. We anticipate that maintenance will last for about an hour and that servers will be available at approximately 3:30 p.m. PDT. We will provide further updates as they are necessary. Thank you for your patience.

--------

1:27 p.m. PDT - We're in the process of testing and implementing multiple fixes for the current service issues. We’ll provide another update in approximately 1 hour.

--------

11:30 a.m. PDT - We are in the process of performing an emergency maintenance for Diablo III servers in the Americas to resolve several issues that are currently impacting the game. This maintenance may cause some interruption in communication, ability to log in, use of in-game features, and disconnections. We anticipate all servers will be available for play at approximately 1:30 p.m. PDT. We will provide further updates as necessary. Thank you for your patience.

--------

10:22 a.m. PDT - We are in the process of performing an emergency maintenance for all North American Diablo III servers to resolve several issues that are currently impacting the game. This maintenance may cause some interruption in communication, ability to log in, use of in-game features, and disconnections. We anticipate all servers will be available for play in approximately 1 hour.

Thank you for your patience.
This thread is now over 118 pages and full of complaints. :D

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You do realize that is never going to happen, right? :) Game devs might be great coders, but their story skills seem to be based on watching awful Hollywood movies. And even when they hire a real writer, the story is so chopped up by the needs of the game that it is usually rendered to mush anyway. That is why story-based games are meaningless to me. I'd rather have a sandbox game that allows me to tell my own story.
I have generally found sandbox games to be meaningless for telling stories.

You can tell a pretty decent story in an action RPG, it was done just last year. I just didn't happen to think of it in the warm glow of a snarky post... Bastion. It's not a particularly involved or deep story, but it's not a particularly long or deep game either, so it doesn't overpower the story.

And for once it wasn't this 'dark fantasy' crap, either. :rolleyes:

Computer RPGs can tell stories. Of course, the best genre for it has generally been the adventure games, and it kind of feels that the withering of plot in RPGs follows the withering of the adventure genre. :(

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have generally found sandbox games to be meaningless for telling stories.
NOT AT ALL! Just the reverse: sandbox games allow you to tell YOUR story better than any pre-fab campaign that wires you into someone else's idea of a good story. I think my most memorable "story-driven" experiences were in sandbox games such as Sins of a Solar Empire and Crusader Kings 2. Guess we'll just have to differ here.

You can tell a pretty decent story in an action RPG, it was done just last year. I just didn't happen to think of it in the warm glow of a snarky post... Bastion. It's not a particularly involved or deep story, but it's not a particularly long or deep game either, so it doesn't overpower the story.
Not familiar with Bastion. For me, when it comes to story driven games, there have only been three that I felt were rewarding experiences: A Mind Forever Voyaging, Fallout 3 and Stalker. And of FO3 and Stalker, I have yet to finish the campaign, so who knows how I will feel when it ends. :) However, when I last played those games, I was enjoying the story.

And for once it wasn't this 'dark fantasy' crap, either. :rolleyes:
Why don't you like DF? I don't really have a preference for any particular sub-genre of fantasy yet, so I am just curious to hear your opinion on it.

Looks like we can officially call this a launch fiasco for Diablo 3 :(:

Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy

As with SotS II, I can sit back and enjoy this as I wasn't so foolish as to jump in on Day 1. :D:popc1:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just an update:

The Diablo website is now offline altogether. :D

Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings. Poor Blizzard.:violin:

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
NOT AT ALL! Just the reverse: sandbox games allow you to tell YOUR story better than any pre-fab campaign that wires you into someone else's idea of a good story. I think my most memorable "story-driven" experiences were in sandbox games such as Sins of a Solar Empire and Crusader Kings 2. Guess we'll just have to differ here.
Okay, quick tightening up of definition here: story = plot

When playing an RPG, a coherent plot is one of my primary interests. Sandboxes are the antithesis of providing a coherent plot. Sandbox games, no matter how much I may admire some of them, do not hold my attention very well. It's possible for an RPG to do well by me without a strong plot, it's just a lot more challenging.

And yes, I do enjoy Paradox's empire management games, which are technically 'sandbox games', but I treat them as strategy games, and what I want from them is very different than what I want from an RPG. (This divide is just as true outside of computer games, though not completely the same.) Also note that identification (which is what Crusader Kings is very good at) != story/plot.

Not familiar with Bastion. For me, when it comes to story driven games, there have only been three that I felt were rewarding experiences: A Mind Forever Voyaging, Fallout 3 and Stalker. And of FO3 and Stalker, I have yet to finish the campaign, so who knows how I will feel when it ends. :) However, when I last played those games, I was enjoying the story.
Bastion is worth getting. Decent enough on the action side, good enough on the story side, doesn't outstay it's welcome.

Story driven: most of the classic LucasArts adventure games, most notably Full Throttle and Grim Fandango. RPG-side, Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy X. Star Control II managed a surprising combination of sandbox and plot (more the former than the latter).

Why don't you like DF? I don't really have a preference for any particular sub-genre of fantasy yet, so I am just curious to hear your opinion on it.
I don't care for most anything 'dark'. I don't care for SF where everything brighter than the 40-watt bulb has been forgotten (common to a lot of European SF), I don't like W40K, I don't like WoD, I don't like Hammer's Slammers.

I don't like universes without achievement. Those types of settings are ones that seek to deny the worth of human (or anything else intelligent) accomplishment.

There's a very good reason why I'm a 'recovered' Trekkie. That is the type of universe I like.

Wodin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Funny enough I think most fantasy games these days aren't dark but bright and cartoon like i.e World of Warcraft style. I don't see W40K particularly dark and gritty, more graphic novel cartoon violence. I want to see a fantasy game that is dark and gritty and grim more like the middle ages would have been. As for Sci Fi again most games I've seen until relatively recently had ships in all colours of the rainbow which I hate. I wants sci fi to look like they'd look in real life, which is drab, I very much doubt they'd be painting those huge ships in bright colours. I also don't want a overly moral or sentimental or "PC" game either. Most of them involve war and violence so why gloss over it in a sparkly cartoon style of graphic. Rindis I guessed you where American because your view is a view usually aired by Americans. I'm not having ago here either. I think us Europeans are far less sentimental and morally driven than the Americans. it's even noticeable in alot of Hollywood movies, infact several films have had the ending changed to suit the American audience usually giving it a happy ever after end or wrapping all loose ends up so it's less dark.

Open world is my pet annoyance these days. To me open world means doing the same rinse and repeat quests over and over again and having about 20 people that make up the population of a supposed city. I'd rather have a decent length linear experience with great quest\mission design and story. Than endlessly roaming around a land doing the same quests\missions over and over again in a land that has a population of about 200 i.e Skyrim. Yet open world is praised and loved and linear is despised and is seen as a poor design. One day when we actually have tech enough to really make a dynamic open world game that has a relatively decent size population then I'll say I'd prefer it over linear, until then I'd rather have a great linear experience.
Scott Bastion is a great little game, well worth playing.

Last edited:

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What's the deal with a single player game running into login server capacity problems?

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Funny enough I think most fantasy games these days aren't dark but bright and cartoon like i.e World of Warcraft style. I don't see W40K particularly dark and gritty, more graphic novel cartoon violence. I want to see a fantasy game that is dark and gritty and grim more like the middle ages would have been. As for Sci Fi again most games I've seen until relatively recently had ships in all colours of the rainbow which I hate. I wants sci fi to look like they'd look in real life, which is drab, I very much doubt they'd be painting those huge ships in bright colours.
I see 'dark', as a genre descriptor, as mood thing, not anything else.

If someone wanted to do a 'real' world look at things, that's fine. I just don't like the attitude that comes through all too often of 'humans suck'. (See WoD for a really bad case of this.)

I don't know why you'd think spaceships would always be 'drab'. In a military vessel, it's likely, though the real likelihood will be something that looks 'smart', and can give the crew something of a sense of pride in serving on board. As long as the albedo isn't too high, you'll be in effective weapons range long before you're in effective visual range, so camouflage is not much of a concern unless it's meant for transatmospheric duty.

The real reason for the colors in computer games is for ease of identification of course. (And think in terms of the tactical display sequence in Wrath of Khan for that....) I'm much more interested in seeing a game that actually explores what you can do with real physics and momentum and such in combat than monkeying around with 'real' but 'blah' visuals.

What's the deal with a single player game running into login server capacity problems?
DIII demands that you are online and connected to Blizz's server at all times while playing. Which would have been more than enough to make me boycott the game if I did care about it. (Heck, I don't buy games that force you to be online for the install process—sorry Civ V.)

Wodin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I suppose I'm thinking of naval ships and other military hardware. Obviously it's camo so maybe they'd all be black? Though the distances of combat would be so great you'd probably never visually see the enemy anyway. Also i'm think about cost. Would the military paint or coat huge spaceships all different colours. or go for the cheapest option?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I don't know for sure, but sounds like it's one of those games that has to be online all the time or at least during initial activation.

Anyone actually tried this game yet? I was hoping it would be worth trying since Baldur's Gate 2 is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't care for most anything 'dark'. I don't care for SF where everything brighter than the 40-watt bulb has been forgotten (common to a lot of European SF), I don't like W40K, I don't like WoD, I don't like Hammer's Slammers.
Interesting that you consider HS dark. I've always considered it bright SF, in that it involves commonplace high technology, and a humanity explosively expanding across the galaxy, hence the need for mercs to keep the peace.

I don't like universes without achievement. Those types of settings are ones that seek to deny the worth of human (or anything else intelligent) accomplishment.
I agree with those sentiments. I loathe the dark nihilism that has become so popular of late, particularly on TV and in Hollywood. However, for some reason, I find that I do enjoy dark sci-fi and fantasy as long as it isn't ninihilisticly dark. When I think of "dark" storytelling, for me it is synonymous with "adult" or "believable". In other words, it avoids what I like to call the "after school cartoon" mentality where evil can easily be defeated with a plucky, "can do" attitude and little else. In this regard I find dark fantasy and sci-fi to have a much more mature mentality when it comes to the nature of evil. Simone Weil hit the nail on the head when he remarked that "Imaginary evil is romantic and varied; real evil is gloomy, monotonous, barren, boring. Imaginary good is boring; real good is always new, marvelous, intoxicating." I have found that writers of dark SF and fantasy understand this a bit better than those on the light side of things.

There's a very good reason why I'm a 'recovered' Trekkie. That is the type of universe I like.
I have found Gene Roddenberry's future to be interesting but too bright. He is definitely a creature of his time - the attitude of the ebullient '60s and 70s infects his writing to the point that his future is really a classical utopia where collectivism and science can overcome any foe...as long as it has a "can do" attitude, that is. :)

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Funny enough I think most fantasy games these days aren't dark but bright and cartoon like i.e World of Warcraft style.
I think there is a split. Some are bright, like WoW, but some go for a dark approach, too. However, I find that even the "dark" games really are bright, they just use gore, sex and swearing to try and cover up that fact. Dragon Age had some dark themes, though. But again, be it games, movies, or TV, "dark" rarely rises above the level of cartoonishness. It's only dark in the most superficial ways.

I don't see W40K particularly dark and gritty, more graphic novel cartoon violence.
I do think it is dark, in that humanity is in decline, technology is at a standstill, and demonic evil is on the rise. Even the heroes in 40K are really anti-heroes - bloody, brutal, and treacherous.

I want to see a fantasy game that is dark and gritty and grim more like the middle ages would have been.
And I want to see a fantasy game that is "dark and gritty and grim" like the 20th Century. :) People like to say that the Middle Ages was this backwards and brutal time, but it really wasn't - at least, not more so than any other period. If nothing else, the ideals of the MA were certainly more noble than previous - and I would argue future - decades. Compare the Middle Ages to the rampant, industrial level brutality and amoral horrors of the 20th Century and the imperfections of that period pale in comparison. I think that is why medieval-themed fantasy remains so popular today. People admire the idealism of that era, even if the idealism was honored more in the breach than in the observance. Even the Middle Ages rustic reality seems to be appreciated in these massed produced times of extravagance. Heck, I believe the environmental movement's ideal scoeity is indistinguishable from the medieval ideal - minus the spirituality. Even the medieval economic concept of distributism is making a come-back in some circles.

As for Sci Fi again most games I've seen until relatively recently had ships in all colours of the rainbow which I hate. I wants sci fi to look like they'd look in real life, which is drab, I very much doubt they'd be painting those huge ships in bright colours.
Yes! I also hate how ships in sci-fi games resemble aerodynamic jets rather than asymmetrical, purpose-driven vessels.

I also don't want a overly moral or sentimental or "PC" game either. Most of them involve war and violence so why gloss over it in a sparkly cartoon style of graphic.
I want both! I think it is only natural to have games with sentiment because people - all people - are attracted to good versus evil. However, like I wrote Rindis, I think be it dark or light, the themes of most games are fundamentally silly and lack a real understanding of both good and evil in the real world.

Rindis I guessed you where American because your view is a view usually aired by Americans. I'm not having ago here either. I think us Europeans are far less sentimental and morally driven than the Americans. it's even noticeable in alot of Hollywood movies, infact several films have had the ending changed to suit the American audience usually giving it a happy ever after end or wrapping all loose ends up so it's less dark.
True. It is part of our nature - the shining city on the hill, the new Jerusalem, and all that. But I don't think it is a problem with ideals as much as it is with the continued juvenilization of America by big studios. I mean...Avatar, Transformers, Battleship. Need I say more? :D
Open world is my pet annoyance these days. To me open world means doing the same rinse and repeat quests over and over again and having about 20 people that make up the population of a supposed city. I'd rather have a decent length linear experience with great quest\mission design and story. Than endlessly roaming around a land doing the same quests\missions over and over again in a land that has a population of about 200 i.e Skyrim. Yet open world is praised and loved and linear is despised and is seen as a poor design. One day when we actually have tech enough to really make a dynamic open world game that has a relatively decent size population then I'll say I'd prefer it over linear, until then I'd rather have a great linear experience.
Those are good objections to open world. And I agree. I believe game design is hitting a wall where we now have the ability to make convincing graphics and sound, but not the AI or horsepower to bring those worlds to life in a believable way. I am noticing these shortcomings more and more and it is really annoying me. However, I'd rather be free to do what I want to do and not be hemmed into some devs idea of a good time.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The real reason for the colors in computer games is for ease of identification of course. (And think in terms of the tactical display sequence in Wrath of Khan for that....) I'm much more interested in seeing a game that actually explores what you can do with real physics and momentum and such in combat than monkeying around with 'real' but 'blah' visuals.
How long have I been beating that dead horse? Most space games portray combat as little more than WWII dogfighting, but in space. It completely misses the point. What I would give for a game to be based on Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet. The devs of Naval War: Arctic Circle pointed out that most modern warships have combat capabilities far in excess of what we see in most sci-fi movies and games, something that is absolutely true. I would love to see somebody come up with a sci-fi game that had more in common with Harpoon or Dangerous Waters than Star Wars / Star Trek.

I don't know for sure, but sounds like it's one of those games that has to be online all the time or at least during initial activation.

Anyone actually tried this game yet? I was hoping it would be worth trying since Baldur's Gate 2 is getting a bit long in the tooth.
Diablo 3 requires a constant internet connection just like a MMO. Such an idea is always fraught with peril. I, along with many others, learned this when I couldn't play X3:TC a few years back because the Tages DRM server went offline during the holiday weekend and nobody was around to reboot it. Then there was the Ubisoft fiasco when Silent Hunter 5 ran aground because Ubis' DRM servers were hit by a DoS attack. And now, of course, we have the Diablo 3 fiasco where sheer demand caused Blizzard's servers to melt down. Who would have thunk it? :nuts: In this sense, Blizzard deserves all the bad press they are getting because "always on" gaming is just fraught with all sorts of problems. Kotaku has a good editorial on how such fiascos might actually be hurting PC gaming:

http://kotaku.com/5910981/has-diablo-iiis-rocky-launch-hurt-pc-gaming

He might be right.

However, I also think that Blizzard deserves a special consideration. After playing StarCraft II, I can tell you that Blizzard isn't just thinking about DRM, but it rather trying to move their games into the realm of SP - MP hybridization. In other words, Blizzard is trying to innovate by tying all their players into one large, indivisible community where SP/MP distinctions don't exist.

This is something that was recently brought home to me while playing CoD: MW3. MW3 installs in two parts: the SP campaign, and the MP component. As I played both, I found myself wishing that the two halves were not so artificially separated because it is really annoying to have to shut down the SP portion just to play MP, and shut down the MP portion if I have the urge to play SP. Furthermore, I thought it would be really handy to be able to invite friends to join me in a co-op mission without having to leave the SP portion. Or, conversely, get friends who are playing SP to join me in a MP game. It was then I thought "if only MW3 had SCII's merged SP/MP gameplay." Ah ha!

That is what Blizzard is trying to accomplish, in my opinion. And based upon how I missed it in MW3, they might be on to something worthwhile. Eventually.

As for Diablo 3 - I am not touching it until the server problems are settled. Probably not until the "starter edition" (demo) is freely available, at that (right now you need a guest pass from a boxed copy). I've heard good things mostly, though.

While you wait, might I suggest the Diablo-clone Torchlight? It is a great game and will keep you busy until Diablo 3 gets its acts together.

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll say it again... I want a 4X game where the combat looks like it came out of Weber, Cherryh or Gallacci. Traveller/Mayday would do quite nicely as well.

And actually, I'd be happy with a game where the combat came out of Star Trek. As much as I like Star Fleet Battles or The Star Fleet Battle Manual, it hasn't happened yet. The fact is that that setting has combat all the way from sublight to high warp speeds. The possible shifts in scale are staggering. It demands a computer game to do right, and no one's even attempted it yet.