DI and Boresighting

Big Noodle

Yooper Lunatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Acquisition does not apply to a DI attempt. But does bore-sighting? It seems OK, but the logic leaves one wondering...

(I know, I know... logic IS a bunch of flowers that smell TERRIBLE)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The bore-sighting DRM is not excluded. It applies to the attack, just like any other DRM that is not excluded.

JR

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Hmm...this one is puzzling. While I agree with JR's interpretation, it prompts me to ask other questions. Here is the relevant wording of C6.5:

C6.5 CASE N; ACQUIRED TARGET: When a Gun (including the MA and SA [Secondary Armament, as per Chapter H Vehicle Listings], of vehicles [EXC: not FT or LATW]) of ≥ 20mm other than a mortar fires at (not Interdicts) a Known unit or a bridge, it may place a 1/2" -1 Acquired counter on its target (or flip over an already present -1 counter to the -2 side), and this Acquired counter then applies as a TH DRM for subsequent shots by that Gun [EXC: Acquisition DRM cannot be used for Deliberate Immobilization attempts; (C5.71); see also C6.54-.57].
The wording leads me to ask, while you can't use an AQ DRM when attempting Deliberate Immobilization (the eponymous "DI", in case I'm not the only only who couldn't figure out what this thread was about!), can you still gain an AQ from a DI attempt? The rule doesn't seem to prohibit the gain!

If not, would you lose an AQ by attempting DI? It's left unsaid, so probably no, but all in all the DI / AQ rule interaction is a little bit wanting in terms of clarity.

Which do we like less?

A) That DI can't make use of an AQ
B) that BS DRM apparently can be used for DI

(...of course there's choice C: "I hate whatever option causes me to lose a game!")

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The wording leads me to ask, while you can't use an AQ DRM when attempting Deliberate Immobilization (the eponymous "DI", in case I'm not the only only who couldn't figure out what this thread was about!), can you still gain an AQ from a DI attempt?
You do gain/retain acq by attempting DI.

If not, would you lose an AQ by attempting DI? It's left unsaid, so probably no, but all in all the DI / AQ rule interaction is a little bit wanting in terms of clarity.
Per my response above, you do not lose acq when attempting DI.

Which do we like less?

A) That DI can't make use of an AQ
B) that BS DRM apparently can be used for DI

(...of course there's choice C: "I hate whatever option causes me to lose a game!")
Like ain't got nothing to do with it :)

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been very tempted to put grudge anti-DI SSRs in scenarios with high ROF weapons.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Just in case, as it was done for another acronym, BS means... Boresighting!
Tadaaa!

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
You do gain/retain acq by attempting DI.

Per my response above, you do not lose acq when attempting DI.

Like ain't got nothing to do with it :)
Thanks! I'm glad we all read this the same way.

And even if it ain't got nothing to do with it, I will like your reply anyway...take that!:p

Big Noodle

Yooper Lunatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Editors Note: The next Panther to cross the bridge entered the BS hex. It will not be leaving! And the crew bailed out in front of a .50 HMG. Wheeee! And forget your SSR! I'm playing SP2 and need every dirty trick I can think up to keep the panzers out of Hotton!
(I'd say I'm sorry about the Panther Pierce, but I'm not!) :D

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Large target -1, bore sight -2, moving +2, DI +5 = +4 hull hit at range < 6 = 9/36 (25%) for the immob. Not great but not terrible.

JR