DFTs "Death to Fascism"

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Done with Hatten for now and it's on to the new DFT pack.
Todays match with Kev Killeen was "Death to Fascism", the scenario. Kev, as always, took the attacking Russian horde while I had the defending Rumanians with 2 stugIIIgs in support.
Both sides set up on board, however the Russian tanks, a whopping six (2- T34/43s and 4 ValentineIIIs) and their 5-2-7s enter on the first turn. The Rumanians get a 4 sq. reinforcement group but not til turn 3 and their two german assault guns don't appear til turn 4. They due however have an ART piece (76L) gun.
For the "buy in" SWs, I choose (between both groups) 4- lmgs and 1- mmg. In retrospect, I may have wanted to take some DCs. Kev wisely choose the 50 cal which he parked in the first level of the central building in his set up area where it remained the entire game.
Knowing Kevs propensity for the human wave, I decided an upfront defense would quickly be overrun and he would be into the central village before I could reinforce. So I used the eight dummies and two HIP 1/2 squads to cover my front. There is a large one level hill in front of the central village (with a few orchards) on the left, so I used my three wires to block the three hexes on the back of the hill that were adjacent to the buildings below.
I hipped the gun under the wire on the left. I was torn about where to hip this gun as if I hipped on my right he would have free run with his tanks on the left flank and the hill with the ability to end run me on the right. If I hipped it on the left side of the center village, He would have free run with his tanks on the hill and on my right flank. I choose the hill as I could cover the hill, be adjacent to the main road down my left and with a spin in an orchard, I could cover the approaches on my left flank. This placement was only semi successful. I got one valentine and broke the squads that came adjacent, but he drove the two T34s adjacent, which my gun couldn't touch from the front, and proceeded to blast the crew which was forced to rout away. The wire, however, effectively stopped any assault off the hill.
On his right, Kev, as predicted, launched a nine squad human wave at a dummy. I popped up a HIP 1/2 squad and got a 2 down 2 and a one down two shot at three squads with a leader to no result. The other HIP 1/2 squad popped up on turn two and got a nifty 2 down two on 2 squads and an 8-0 ldr. Again, no result and he cowered. These two ended up guests of the Russians for the remainder of the game shortly thereafter.
Kev got most of his human wave force onto my right flank and had the balance of his infantry stuck on the hill. I couldn't keep enough men in the first levels to harass the hill as his 50 cal with 8-1 was able to suppress from the distance. I was able to get most of the defenders I had guarding buildings on my left back to the center to help defend the central village.
At around turn four, Kev realized that, even though his superior firepower would eventually take the central village building, it would not give him enough points. So he took his 8-1 and 2 squads off the hill and ran them around the rear to attempt to take buildings on my right flank. I kept pinning the one squad and the 8-1 and the other went beserk and had to change course. Kev had a lone valentine looking down the road that covered my entry of the two assault guns on my far right flank which I was hoping to bring up to help cover the right flank VC buildings, I decided that risking a low roll shot was worth it and ran them in. Both made it to excellent positions unscathed. I choose this over trying to help in the central village because Kev had the balance of his tanks over there. The next turn Kev ran the lone valentine at the first Stug. I missed, spun the other and missed again. Malfed on an intensive fire. He got adjacent to my side but missed. Next turn, I spun the good tank needed a seven to hit him and rolled, you guessed it, a twelve. On his turn he blew up the adjacent Stug but I fixed the other and sent his Val to the scrapyard, ending in an even trade of VCs.
With the help of his demos and overwhelming prep fires and back to back snake eye shots with the T34 coaxials, my Rumanians started melting away and routing upstairs or dead from FTR. By his last turn he was mopping up and was able to get eleven of the necessary seven VC points.
This was a fun scenario with lots of action for both sides. The Rumanian needs to be extremely careful how he defends and the Russian needs to show no fear. The Rumanians have 1 range PFs and a -2 CC DRM ATMM capability but there is no reason for the Russian to ever give him that opportunity.
I would like to hear from anyone who gives the Rumanian much of a chance in this one as the Russian is just too powerful and their tanks have a pretty free run. There is soft ground and the plowed fields can cause bog but the Russian vehicles don't really need to leave the roads much. It is not as constricted as if it were "mud". As far as using something to block the roads up, the Rumanian has but the one gun and it is useless against the T34s. Lastly, I had used the five trenches in the rear of the central village to cause bog checks on the east/west village road and have a way to connect the village VC buildings to the rear entry woods.
Very enjoyable but I would bid or hope for the Russians anytime in tournament play. At home, I would tinker with the defense to see if it could improve.
Next week, I think Kev and I might re-visit the old "dog" Agony of Doom" in preparation for my playoff with Mr. Wes Vaughn at Mr. Callens Bash this February for the last mini plaque from ASLOK. Wes will be getting the poorly represented Russians but with five extra 4-5-8s. I don't think it will help him.
Til next we meet: game on and roll low.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played this one twice, and found the Russians can really put the hurt on the axis guys, buy the 50cal for the Ruissians, that will sweep off any Axis guys on the hills or upper levels. I thought playing the Axis was sort of boring but the Russians are alot of fun to play in this scenario. Good write up.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Done with Hatten for now and it's on to the new DFT pack.
Todays match with Kev Killeen was "Death to Fascism", the scenario. Kev, as always, took the attacking Russian horde while I had the defending Rumanians with 2 stugIIIgs in support.
Both sides set up on board, however the Russian tanks, a whopping six (2- T34/43s and 4 ValentineIIIs) and their 5-2-7s enter on the first turn. The Rumanians get a 4 sq. reinforcement group but not til turn 3 and their two german assault guns don't appear til turn 4. They due however have an ART piece (76L) gun.
For the "buy in" SWs, I choose (between both groups) 4- lmgs and 1- mmg. In retrospect, I may have wanted to take some DCs. Kev wisely choose the 50 cal which he parked in the first level of the central building in his set up area where it remained the entire game.
Knowing Kevs propensity for the human wave, I decided an upfront defense would quickly be overrun and he would be into the central village before I could reinforce. So I used the eight dummies and two HIP 1/2 squads to cover my front. There is a large one level hill in front of the central village (with a few orchards) on the left, so I used my three wires to block the three hexes on the back of the hill that were adjacent to the buildings below.
I hipped the gun under the wire on the left. I was torn about where to hip this gun as if I hipped on my right he would have free run with his tanks on the left flank and the hill with the ability to end run me on the right. If I hipped it on the left side of the center village, He would have free run with his tanks on the hill and on my right flank. I choose the hill as I could cover the hill, be adjacent to the main road down my left and with a spin in an orchard, I could cover the approaches on my left flank. This placement was only semi successful. I got one valentine and broke the squads that came adjacent, but he drove the two T34s adjacent, which my gun couldn't touch from the front, and proceeded to blast the crew which was forced to rout away. The wire, however, effectively stopped any assault off the hill.
On his right, Kev, as predicted, launched a nine squad human wave at a dummy. I popped up a HIP 1/2 squad and got a 2 down 2 and a one down two shot at three squads with a leader to no result. The other HIP 1/2 squad popped up on turn two and got a nifty 2 down two on 2 squads and an 8-0 ldr. Again, no result and he cowered. These two ended up guests of the Russians for the remainder of the game shortly thereafter.
Kev got most of his human wave force onto my right flank and had the balance of his infantry stuck on the hill. I couldn't keep enough men in the first levels to harass the hill as his 50 cal with 8-1 was able to suppress from the distance. I was able to get most of the defenders I had guarding buildings on my left back to the center to help defend the central village.
At around turn four, Kev realized that, even though his superior firepower would eventually take the central village building, it would not give him enough points. So he took his 8-1 and 2 squads off the hill and ran them around the rear to attempt to take buildings on my right flank. I kept pinning the one squad and the 8-1 and the other went beserk and had to change course. Kev had a lone valentine looking down the road that covered my entry of the two assault guns on my far right flank which I was hoping to bring up to help cover the right flank VC buildings, I decided that risking a low roll shot was worth it and ran them in. Both made it to excellent positions unscathed. I choose this over trying to help in the central village because Kev had the balance of his tanks over there. The next turn Kev ran the lone valentine at the first Stug. I missed, spun the other and missed again. Malfed on an intensive fire. He got adjacent to my side but missed. Next turn, I spun the good tank needed a seven to hit him and rolled, you guessed it, a twelve. On his turn he blew up the adjacent Stug but I fixed the other and sent his Val to the scrapyard, ending in an even trade of VCs.
With the help of his demos and overwhelming prep fires and back to back snake eye shots with the T34 coaxials, my Rumanians started melting away and routing upstairs or dead from FTR. By his last turn he was mopping up and was able to get eleven of the necessary seven VC points.
This was a fun scenario with lots of action for both sides. The Rumanian needs to be extremely careful how he defends and the Russian needs to show no fear. The Rumanians have 1 range PFs and a -2 CC DRM ATMM capability but there is no reason for the Russian to ever give him that opportunity.
I would like to hear from anyone who gives the Rumanian much of a chance in this one as the Russian is just too powerful and their tanks have a pretty free run. There is soft ground and the plowed fields can cause bog but the Russian vehicles don't really need to leave the roads much. It is not as constricted as if it were "mud". As far as using something to block the roads up, the Rumanian has but the one gun and it is useless against the T34s. Lastly, I had used the five trenches in the rear of the central village to cause bog checks on the east/west village road and have a way to connect the village VC buildings to the rear entry woods.
Very enjoyable but I would bid or hope for the Russians anytime in tournament play. At home, I would tinker with the defense to see if it could improve.
Next week, I think Kev and I might re-visit the old "dog" Agony of Doom" in preparation for my playoff with Mr. Wes Vaughn at Mr. Callens Bash this February for the last mini plaque from ASLOK. Wes will be getting the poorly represented Russians but with five extra 4-5-8s. I don't think it will help him.
Til next we meet: game on and roll low.
Thanks a lot for the extensive AAR. Did you consider removing your dummy to void his human wave before he could launch?

It reads as if you traded one Stug for one Valentine and the Art killed one tank. So Russians needed 8 buildings, not 7.....

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The human wave was expected and desired. First, it was on the far right of the Russian flank thus increasing his distance to the buildings. Second, I had the two HIP 1/2 sqs. positioned to hit four of the four hexes he would have to traverse. I know he needed eight instead of seven but he was able to handily grab eleven VC. Still feel it to be hard on the German.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The human wave was expected and desired. First, it was on the far right of the Russian flank thus increasing his distance to the buildings. Second, I had the two HIP 1/2 sqs. positioned to hit four of the four hexes he would have to traverse. I know he needed eight instead of seven but he was able to handily grab eleven VC. Still feel it to be hard on the German.
It is difficult for the Germans, very difficult for the Romanians and impossible for the Russians.

If you had hit his human wave with a HIP MMG and rolled a few good rolls, it could have been over on Turn 1, too.

Thanks for playing it and sharing your opinion.....looking forward to seeing it played at Albany. I would gladly take the Axis against any opponent there, of course.

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While it may be true that a HIP mmg with a few good rolls could make a turn one difference, you are risking one of your few needed leaders to prevent cowering and one of your valuable support weapons as they will be hard pressed to get back to the village. By HIPping two 1/2 squads up front to pick on any human wave or attackers crossing open ground, with a few good rolls, the risk is minimal. The real problem as I see it is that the German has little ability to stop the Russian armor. The T34s with their mgs can really block things up and the 57Ls can nullify the two German stugs. While the defense will seem to hold its own for a goodly amount of time, the collapse will come quickly and devastatingly. (If that is even a word).

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Last ROAR was 4-4.......so not all defences collapsed. Time and many more games will tell.

tallin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the Rumanians can win:) Maybe a good one for you to play as the Russians against the designer in next years aslok.

buser333

Reaction score
In our playing of this it came right down to the last turn. I was sitting pretty good until my opponent eliminated three of my tanks and then I had to push to take some extra buildings around the hill. I ended up with the bare minimum ten (to offset the tank losses) and a Russian victory. I bought the mortar for smoke.
This was a great scenario.

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Last ROAR was 4-4.......so not all defences collapsed. Time and many more games will tell.
It has always been my contention that with most scenarios the defense has an advantage in the first playings. If this tends to be true then more playings will show the Russians to be even stronger. I like the motar buy for the Russian but I think that the hmg is essential and should be placed in the first level of the building in the set up area. This will keep the hill clear and has great range on the Axis right flank to stop reinforcement or regrouping to the center.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
From my experience at ASLOK there was not much left of Smedley's Soviet OB at the end. And Axis losses were minimal. Not that i would conclude that the scenario is pro-romanian as i had pretty good rolls at the beginning. But i would play it again happily with either side.