Detection and Foxholes and Assault Movement

fanatic+1

Ryan Kent
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A unit in a Foxhole in an Open Ground hex attempts to Assault Move into an adjacent hex with a concealed unit. Per A12.15, the concealed unit is revealed upon entry and the moving unit and forces the moving unit back to the last Location it occupied before the attempted entry.

Does this Location mean into the Foxhole or does it mean into the Open Ground hex the moving unit had to pass through prior to entering the concealed unit's Location? See B27.13.

Does the moving unit continue to receive the benefits of Assault Movement when forced back? See A4.61.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
A12.15 . A unit forced back to an entrenchment/shellhole Location can derive no TEM benefit therefrom vs any ensuing Defensive First Fire, although it can for any Defensive Final Fire or subsequent attacks.

I woukd have thought youd end up in the open ground part as you woukd need to spend an extra mf to enter the foxhole. I think this refers to the situation where you move through trench. I may be wrong.

I think you can claim to be assault moving. This required a change yo the rules to prevent the assault move bump tgat stripped the bumped unit but not the bumper.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Since you first have to spend 1 MF to exit the foxhole as a separate MF expenditure, and then spend more MF to attempt to enter the enemy-occupied Location, I am pretty sure you are "bumped" back to "above" the foxhole. Same as if you had started above the foxhole.

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As Klas points out the MF expenditures (leaving the Foxhole and entering the next hex) are sequential, not combined. Too many people assume that when you use Assault Movement you can only make 1 MF expenditure and that all the MF are combined. This is not the case, each expenditure is still separate (and DF is allowed after each one) and you don't need to announce then ahead of time. The only restriction is that you can only move 1 new location.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes I believe the use of "entrenchment" in A12.15 is exclusive of Foxholes simply because of the additional MF cost to exit the Foxhole (can't envision a circumstance where it could apply to return him to the foxhole) but certainly could include movement along and IN a trench/from-a-bunker, etc.