Destruction-VC's

MacMarkus

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Gentlemen,

browsing through some issues of VFTT, I found an article that referred to a Time on target scenario that called for the destruction of 2 bridges. Unfortunately, I do not own ToT 2 (I do own #1 and #3 :))

I am wondering if there are other scenarioes which such "destructive" VC's...

I would be interested in the "technical" realization (do the structures have to be destroyed by weapon usage (oba, air support, DCs, etc.) or are they considered to be destroyed automtially by reaching a given hex (maybe with a specially armed unit), or whatever...

Looking for your input...

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen,

browsing through some issues of VFTT, I found an article that referred to a Time on target scenario that called for the destruction of 2 bridges. Unfortunately, I do not own ToT 2 (I do own #1 and #3 :))

I would be interested in the "technical" realization (do the structures have to be destroyed by weapon usage (oba, air support, DCs, etc.) or are they considered to be destroyed automtially by reaching a given hex (maybe with a specially armed unit), or whatever...

IMHO, a VC requiring destruction of particular hexes can reasonably be included (a) as an option for a scenario with SSR-defined VPs (where destruction of particular buildings, etc., is one way to earn VP among others); or (2) as an alternative VC along with a traditional territory control/CVP/EVP/etc. driven goal (e.g., demolish the bridge hex or cause > 35 CVP to the opposing player, while suffering < 25 CVP yourself); or (3) if the destruction is accomplished automatically by a unit reaching a particular hex.

The problem otherwise with a purely destructive VC is that it tends to make the game way too dependent on a single dice roll - e.g., if your DC is a dud, you're screwed even if you played the rest of the scenario "perfectly" to get to that point. (This could, I guess, be mitigated by giving a player lots of DCs to try to make sure at least one isn't a dud, but then you need to SSR in restrictions on their use to avoid having players running about chucking dynamite all over the place.)

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This seems a tough VC condition to work with. I have successfully used destruction of opponents Pieces in their OoB before to good effect ( ie must destroy >=2 guns and exit XX CVP for a win), then SSRs conditions to prevent those guns from being easily relocated, so their starting positions were relatively known.

I think overall one might consider such in a "scorched earth" demonstration event, such as Breslau, 1945, the axis forces tried 4 times to blow up the bridge into the central area of the city, and failed. Worthwhile ASL representation might have "destroy the bridge" as the VC there.

KRL, Jon H

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen,

If the scenario is TOT14, there is a glitch in the scenario. As the only way to destroy the bridges is with the bombs from the Stukas and FBs (the Germans have no DC/OBA/heavy caliber HE firing weapon/Kindling is NA). However, you cannot target a bridge devoid of enemy unit(s) as far as Aircraft are concerned, see E7.4 line 1. So the Brits just need to stay off the bridges, while planes with bombs are about.

However, it is my hunch that the designers intended for the planes to attack the bridges (the Brits have 3 Bofors guns, as well as air support of their own) but they missed the SSR that overruled E7.4...or where unaware that such an SSR was required. I asked a party who might have contact to the old TOT crew, but never had word back.

To your 'technical' question in this scenario yes you need to destroy it was a weapon...the bombs. In other scenarios with bridges, the more common VC is control.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Destruction of pieces is of course very common.

Destruction of terrain less so. I have seen it used as an alternative to control, control or destroy two pillboxes etc. this is a useful asset when you wish to allow one side or other to use heavy ordnance to destroy the enemy without worrying a bout the VC consequences. Shoot! Just rubbled two of the building hexes I needed to control now I can't win the game!

Ronnblom

Swedish Terminator
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Gentlemen,

FrF24 Forging Spetsnaz is one.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
An interesting take on this is in Streets of Khakov where there Russians win by controlling or destroying bridges. They are unlikely to be able to destroy the bridges but a canny German player could make it easier on himself by placing units across the river and then destroying the bridges thus being able to get a unit adjacent to the bridge (there are 2 hex bridges and he could drop only one hex) allowing him the victory more easily. In this I think the destroy two bridges Viuctory for the Russian was to stop a tactic from the German rather than encourage the Russian to destroy the bridges. The Germans have three DCs and control of the bridges so it would be possible for them.