Destroying an Anti-Tank Ditch

ironmike1944

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fellow ASL'ers,

I appreciate all the prompt feedback and commentary. I have found the resolution and answer to my question in Chapter B, Section 2 under "SHELLHOLES". It reads as follows: "Shellholes can be created to a maximum of one per hex during play by placing a shellhole counter in Open Ground, orchard, brush, or grainfield immediately after any Original KIA result during a PFPh/DFPh resolution of a Concentrated HE FFE (or aerial bomb/rocket) attack of ≥ 150mm. Such placement removes all entrenchment counters in that hex (although not necessarily their contents) even if the hex was already a shellhole hex. Shellholes occur only IN a Depression - not at its Crest level>"

Sincerely:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I guess it depends upon one's definition of a breach. IMO, it would seem more practical to 'fill in' an A-T Ditch with earth or other material than it would to use explosives to enlarge or collapse it. Of course, I have never been a combat engineer or construction worker.

A couple of questions regarding the above quote...
Which army had the expectation of a squad breaching an A-T ditch in 10-15 minutes with E-tools?
What is an "average A-T Ditch"? In general that is, not just in ASL game terms.
In my experience (only) and from basic engineering standards of the US Army a basic A-T Ditch can be created by digging/dozing a ditch 4 to 10 feet deep and about 6 feet wide with non-sloping sides to prevent the traverse by tracked vehicles though many varied these parameters by use of berms or natural features. Most tracked vehicles are unable to span the distance of 6 feet without falling into the ditch or climb the distance of greater than 3 feet vertical without some slope to assist. It was expected that a squad of 8-12 personnel would be able to sufficiently knock down the sides of the barrier to allow at least an immediate field expedient breach with about 10 minutes of work.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In my experience (only) and from basic engineering standards of the US Army a basic A-T Ditch can be created by digging/dozing a ditch 4 to 10 feet deep and about 6 feet wide with non-sloping sides to prevent the traverse by tracked vehicles though many varied these parameters by use of berms or natural features. Most tracked vehicles are unable to span the distance of 6 feet without falling into the ditch or climb the distance of greater than 3 feet vertical without some slope to assist. It was expected that a squad of 8-12 personnel would be able to sufficiently knock down the sides of the barrier to allow at least an immediate field expedient breach with about 10 minutes of work.
Probably easier with a backhoe.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh look, it's taking a nap in the burrow it dug itself.