Desperation penalty and WA

cooljrunner

Reaction score
First name
Jay
Country
llUnited States
A unit finds itself in a hex containing both a building and a stone wall. Unit is marked with a Wall Advantage counter. Unit fires a LATW without accepting the additional +2 drm on the To Hit roll from Case C3. Is unit subject to the C13.81 desperation penalty? For some reason I was thinking desperation did not apply by virtue of the WA counter and therefore unit considered outside the building. Not finding much support for this position in the rules.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would say yes, it's based on their Location not what TEM they are currently receiving.

13.81 DESPERATION: Whether due to ignorance, panic, or dire circumstance, these weapons (13.8) were sometimes fired inside restrictive terrain, and hundreds of deaths and serious burns resulted to the operators as a consequence. Therefore, the Case C3 To Hit DRM can be ignored if so predesignated, but all occupants of the firing Location in such restrictive terrain undergo attack on the 1 FP column of the IFT using only the colored dr of that To Hit DR. No drm apply.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes they must undergo the desperation penalty even though claiming WA [EXC: If firing in the AFPh]. Seems kind of funky, but that's the current understanding.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Lest there be any doubt....

B9.32:
"...A unit claiming WA is still considered occupying any obstacle/terrain as it would if not claiming WA for all purposes (e.g., Concealment Terrain, firing backblast weapon from building) [EXC: 9.31]...."

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Yes they must undergo the desperation penalty even though claiming WA [EXC: If firing in the AFPh]. Seems kind of funky, but that's the current understanding.
I agree. They take the backblast.
The point is, that despite using WA and not in-hex TEM, they are still in a Building hex.

von Marwitz