King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Hi Mark (and all)

Just two thoughts?
What about like illuminating Rounds - could start a Patreon thing - seems a platform that has helped Dave Ramsay
I Note a lot of the "youtube" stuff went that way - see Mark Felton Productions on youtube - he has some really rare historical encounters
or
Sponsorship - MMP, LeFT, Bounding Fire- push the tin around at conferences - (probably not CH 🤪 )

Cheers

Rob :)

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Hi Mark (and all)

Just two thoughts?
What about like illuminating Rounds - could start a Patreon thing - seems a platform that has helped Dave Ramsay
I Note a lot of the "youtube" stuff went that way - see Mark Felton Productions on youtube - he has some really rare historical encounters
or
Sponsorship - MMP, LeFT, Bounding Fire- push the tin around at conferences - (probably not CH 🤪 )

Cheers

Excellent suggestions. I've suggested YouTube in the past as well as a way for ASL content producers to earn money. I earn a few hundred dollars a month via my channel and YT is far less eager to censor content than Facebook, for example. They are very stringent about copyright, for example background music, so there is work involved in ensuring you stay on the right side of their rules.

To get monetized I believe the threshold is 1,000 subscribers, which is difficult for niche topic content producers to do, but shouldn't be a stumbling block for anyone putting out quality content. Anyone firmly established in a community - as DM is - would also find it easier to get subscribers.

Mark Felton is a great success story. You see some of the tradeoffs he's made to get to where he is. A lot of his stories are generic footage and quirky stories he's basically looked up on Wikipedia. But now that he has a very solid and loyal base audience, he can get 1,000,000 views for each of his videos in a matter of days.

You do have to be willing to put in work in order to maximize your chances of success - buying decent sound capturing and editing equipment, investing in voice talent or honing your own, and the patience to edit content. A really solid 10 minute video can take 24 hours of labour to put together. But there are certainly a lot of wargame channels that get by with much less sophisticated offerings, just turning the camera on and winging it, and manage to attract an audience.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Where (website link) can we support?
I haven't done anything yet; been too busy. But I do (gratefully) accept contributions for support via paypal. Direct message me and I can send you the e-mail address, if you are interested. :)

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Mark (and all)

Just two thoughts?
or

Cheers

It's a tricky thing for an ASL publisher to sponsor my site--I would not want to give the impression of partiality to sponsors. Re Patreon, that is a definite possibility.