Desperation Morale Update - Where oh Where are You!

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Hi All

Its now turning March! - we do miss it and I am surprised that I am the first to ask - we all don't agree with it but I am hanging out for this valuable input! - Gee Korea, WO in deluxe, Schmit just to name a few

Obviously I apologize sincerely if Mark is sick and I have just made him feel worse by my request but I am just a fan of his work

Cheers

Rob :)

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Summary:

OS is too big, maps are glossy, both of which are bad
WOBP is deluxe, which is bad
FrF11 can do no wrong, it's FrF
SP is more SP. Rally Point early war is a welcome change from Tigers Everywhere (TM, Evan Sherry, Always)
Korea...I honestly don't know. Good grief, there's an opinion of Mark's on ASL that I don't know? Clearly I'm slacking. Too much night, which is bad, is my guess. Also quibbles of excessive squad types, which are bad.

(I am also a fan of Mark's work, which is how I am familiar with his biases opinions, to be clear...)

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
And the usual hater posts pop up when Mark Pitcavage is simply mentioned... are you not tired of that repetitive, ad nauseam game?
It could be funny if it were the first time and if he were active here... perhaps.

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I seam to recollect MMP giving him the green light to create content for the next reprinting of the French Module. Something to do with the Free French. He's probably wining and dining in Morocco right now.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I seam to recollect MMP giving him the green light to create content for the next reprinting of the French Module. Something to do with the Free French. He's probably wining and dining in Morocco right now.
Interesting. Can you give us even a modest "paper" trail to the MMP 'green light.'

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And the usual hater posts pop up when Mark Pitcavage is simply mentioned... are you not tired of that repetitive, ad nauseam game?
It could be funny if it were the first time and if he were active here... perhaps.
Mark doesn't need anyone to ride shotgun for him. You should know that, and also you well know to just let certain post pass in silence.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Mark doesn't need anyone to ride shotgun for him. You should know that,
He should know a lot of things, but in this case, he's only made it obvious he doesn't watch American television. If he did he would have gotten the reference instead of going on one of his usual psychotic rants. Typical Taurus.

Last edited:

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Interesting. Can you give us even a modest "paper" trail to the MMP 'green light.'
Here's the conversation Mark Pitcavage had with Brian & Chas on ConSim World a few years back...

Mark Pitcavage - Aug 12, 2016 10:18 pm(#60235 Total: 62399)
That's what I do: I bitch and I know things.

the next Croix de Guerre really, really, really needs to have two-toned French counters (green/blue) for the Free French. The current system doesn't work well, IMO, and the use of British counters--when the British supplied arms & equipment for only a small fraction of Free French forces--just does not work well.

George Bates - Aug 12, 2016 10:25 pm(#60236 Total: 62399)
Stuck inside of Benouville with the Le Port blues again
I just want a new Croix de Guerre so that all my French counters will have the same font and type size. This and the 50ml bottle of calvados MMP will place in every pre-order shipment.

Chas Argent - Aug 13, 2016 8:53 am(#60241 Total: 62399)
"He's just like any other man, only more so."

I just want a new Croix de Guerre so that all my French counters will have the same font and type size.

This is #1 on my hit parade.

Mark Pitcavage - Aug 15, 2016 5:01 pm(#60281 Total: 62399)

Yes, two-toned counters would handle the problem well and give the French their long-deserved due. It would also allow the Free French OB (which doesn't seem to have been researched very much, if at all, for Croix de Guerre) to be more accurately represented.

Chas Argent - Aug 15, 2016 7:53 pm(#60289 Total: 62399)

I was not speaking of the design of the module, but of the fact that a major actor of WW2 was neglected and its module produced long after others. Strange.

I'm not sure you can call the French a "major actor" beyond a few months in 1940, honestly. For obvious reasons, French forces certainly did not see the sheer volume of action as the Soviets/Germans/Chinese/Japanese/US/UK. Beyond those combatants, the French also suffered fewer military casualties than Italy, Hungary, Romania, Yugoslavia, and Poland. The French arrived in ASL terms before a serious effort was made to model the Allied Minors (DB) and Axis Minors (AoO), so I don't think they were "slighted". The designers just had bigger poisson to fry.

Mark Pitcavage - Aug 16, 2016 9:28 am(#60292 Total: 62399)

I'm not sure you can call the French a "major actor" beyond a few months in 1940, honestly. For obvious reasons, French forces certainly did not see the sheer volume of action as the Soviets/Germans/Chinese/Japanese/US/UK. Beyond those combatants, the French also suffered fewer military casualties than Italy, Hungary, Romania, Yugoslavia, and Poland. The French arrived in ASL terms before a serious effort was made to model the Allied Minors (DB) and Axis Minors (AoO), so I don't think they were "slighted". The designers just had bigger poisson to fry.​

I think France has to be considered a major actor in WW2. It was the most important Allied power for the first year of the war. It had millions of men under arms and well over a hundred divisions. And by May 1945, the French had around 1.25 million men under arms again.

Mark Pitcavage - Aug 16, 2016 9:42 am(#60294 Total: 62399)

It is also worth noting that the French fought in Belgium, the Netherlands, France, Germany, Italy, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Syria, Corsica, Vietnam, Cambodia, Madagascar, Senegal, Lebanon, Norway, and Gabon, and possibly elsewhere, too.

Brian Youse - Aug 16, 2016 12:04 pm(#60300 Total: 62399)
Romans 7:21 (NLT)

This reminds me the situation in the video game industry where France has been declared has a minor actor of the World War I in the upcoming title Battlefield 1 and will simply not be present in the game. A joke.​

Its not -quite- the same as that, at least France fought the entirety of WWI so Battlefield 1 is totally slighting them.

All that said, what would the two colors be? French blue centers with Commonwealth tan borders?

Mark Pitcavage - Aug 16, 2016 12:15 pm(#60301 Total: 62399)

I think there isn't any real reason for any part of French counters to be commonwealth tan. Only a small fraction of French forces were ever armed by the British (this is one of the problems with the existing system). The other color, I think, needs to be American green.

If it is French outside, American inside, the Free French can use French weapons easily, but would have to have counters for American, British, German and Italian SW. That is basically no improvement on the existing situation.

If it is American outside, French inside, then the French can use all American SW without problem or need for new such counters. There would need to be new two-toned counters for basic French, German, Italian and British SW (mostly MG and light mortars). The Italian MG could be dropped out if space were limited.

Chas Argent - Aug 16, 2016 12:18 pm(#60303 Total: 62399)

The Italian MG could be dropped out if space were limited.

Space is flexible. We have quite a few dies from which to choose these days.

Mark Pitcavage - Aug 16, 2016 12:24 pm(#60304 Total: 62399)

Would you like me to write up my thoughts on this and send them to you?

Chas Argent - Aug 16, 2016 12:33 pm(#60305 Total: 62399)

Please do.

Two-tone is tricky, because there is so little room for error on a 1/2" counter, and cuts are rarely perfect; but we have a pretty solid die-cutting company these days.

Brian Youse - Aug 16, 2016 1:08 pm(#60307 Total: 62399)

And to have any value we'd need about 8 new FF scenarios. Just saying...

Mark Pitcavage - Aug 16, 2016 4:19 pm(#60312 Total: 62399)

And to have any value we'd need about 8 new FF scenarios. Just saying...​

I'd be willing to help with that.

Brian Youse - Aug 17, 2016 5:25 pm(#60323 Total: 62399)

see all that effort expended in something actually useful​

No one said we're doing anything except listening right now. Which you don't seem inclined to do.

Mark feel free to send that write up to Chas.

Mark Pitcavage - Aug 17, 2016 8:59 pm(#60326 Total: 62399)

Brian, I will definitely do that.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Interestingly, though, the blue counters with US green edges has been assigned to UN forces in Korea. And FWIW Commonwealth tan with US coloured edges are also assigned in Forgotten War, to the ROK.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interestingly, though, the blue counters with US green edges has been assigned to UN forces in Korea. And FWIW Commonwealth tan with US coloured edges are also assigned in Forgotten War, to the ROK.
True...but while this could be re-cycled...I think since time has proven the forms you note...then he gets a "push" on this, or so see it.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
True...but while this could be re-cycled...I think since time has proven the forms you note...then he gets a "push" on this, or so see it.
Not to be a harbinger of doom, but I wonder if the fact these forms are in Korea aren't evidence that the discussion quoted above about applying them to the Free French in World War II came to nothing. I guess we'll see in the future.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
The bits of discussion about colours made me think of the existing schemes:

Soviet Germans - GMD/NRA (no not the school shooting NRA, the National Revolutionary Army)
German Axis Minors - Hungarians
US British - ROK/KMC
Soviet British - CPVA
US French - OUNC

I'm still waiting for either Italian Finns or Finnish Italians. Nobody seems to want anything to do with the Allied Minors or Japanese either. Racists!