Desperation Morale Update Update

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy, folks. Work continues on the never-ending Desperation Morale World of ASL Compendium Update. At least now with social distancing I have a more valid excuse to spend my weekends and days off working on a website for an obscure complicated game rather than actually engaging with other human beings in real life.

Today I spent 5 hours or so finishing the write-up for Bounding Fire Production's Corregidor: The Rock module. It features some really nice product photographs from Daniel Zucker, Neal Ulen, and Mark Sockwell, to all of whom I am very grateful. Their nice photos really help the entry. Check 'em out: http://www.desperationmorale.com/products/corregidor-the-rock/

That module was the last of the "old" products that I had left to do (i.e., from 2017-2019 or so). Except for updating Armies of Oblivion with the 2nd edition contents. I need to do that, too.

What I have left, sitting next to me at the moment are:

1. The Fight For Seoul (LFT). I've been putting this off because it will be a lot of work.
  2. Croix de Guerre v2
  3. Onslaught to Orsha v2
  4. Derek Ritter's counter holder thingies (I need photos of these in action, guys!!!!!!)

In addition, I guess I will be receiving the latest March Madness pack pretty soon, so will have to add that to the pile when it gets here.

I am sure Critical Hit has or shortly will have some new items out that I haven't put up there yet, too.

Wild Bill Wilder has put out a couple more of his craptastic e-bay ASL items, and I am debating whether or not to add them. I feel I must, in the hopes of stopping anybody from purchasing them, yet I hate to give him space even more than I hate to give CH space.

I also still have photos from Dave Ramsey, Fen Yan, Dave Lamb, John Bock, Mark Drake, Michael Rodgers, Neal Ulen, Martin Vicca, Dan Dolen, Anonymous, and (I think) Jim Traver to add to various products, some of which I haven't written the write-ups for yet and some of which I have.

I have also been collecting images for some time of old ASL products being sold on e-bay and at some point will begin to start adding these to some of the older write-ups on the DM site.

Incidentally, today I noticed that I have 5,277 media items (basically images and PDFs, since I haven't uploaded any videos) uploaded to the Desperation Morale website. That's a lot of images!!!

Odds are still pretty decent I'll get and be hospitalized for the coronavirus before all this is finished. Which, on a more serious note, some of you who have website-downloading software might want to download and save the DM site for yourselves and/or posterity in case the worst happens. I think I have everything paid out for a few years, so even if I go it will stick around for at least a while, but you never know what could happen.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Today I spent 5 hours or so finishing the write-up for Bounding Fire Production's Corregidor: The Rock module.
Thank you, sir. Your review made me pull out my (sadly, unplayed) copy. I'll solitaire some of the scenarios while awaiting a return to more face-to-face playing.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, me too! But I'm pretty sure I have in life the same luck I have in ASL.
I will have good thoughts for you Mark and for what you do with your website, a positive contribution for our hobby indeed.

Let's hope we all pull through this OK, stay safe and well everyone, Vic. ;)

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
some of you who have website-downloading software might want to download and save the DM site for yourselves
You could set an example for MMP and sell it on a USB drive. Then the buyer could connect with a password and get updates for a small fee.

goatleaf1

Reaction score
Country
ll
Mark, I'm pretty confident that the Lord will spare you so that you can continue your important work on earth.

All the best.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Mark,

Pete Phillipps, the custodian of View From The Trenches over here, had a similar concern about his website.

He gave all the details to another UK ASL player who promptly got drunk, lost his front door key to his house, climbed onto his garage roof to try to get through a window of his house and fell off onto his head. He was found by the neighbours dog - he was lucky not to bleed out. I'm glad to say he's made a good recovery.

How about trading info with Pete? Or Xavier and the LFT crew? Or even MMP? The more people the better..............

Many thanks once again for the website and all the associated hard work.

Last edited:

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I was typically buried alive.
One of my biggest fears.

I think in the face of what's happening it's as well to play it safe. I'm in my early 50's and asthmatic so I suppose I'm in a high-risk group (my asthma is well-managed though). This weekend I plan to write letters to my wife and daughters for the just-in-case scenario...("scenario", heh heh)...because this last week or so I've been thinking about death as more than just an abstract possibility, so I think Mr Pitman is right to make plans I hope he's wrong about his luck, though.

Maybe I'm being overly morbid - I sure hope so, but just in case anybody's still not sure how serious this thing is...it's the disease that closed every pub in Ireland. 'Nuff said?

Stay safe everyone, listen to the advice, and just effing follow it.

(On the plus side, Ireland is now even more restricted as regard movement and the message is a firm "stay home" so I've got an ASL weekend planned. :) This will include reading some of Mr Pitman's reviews which I find both informative and highly amusing.)

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Maybe I'm being overly morbid - I sure hope so, but just in case anybody's still not sure how serious this thing is...it's the disease that closed every pub in Ireland. 'Nuff said?
Maybe it's just me, but I find plague humour like this very therapeutic (in a good way).

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe it's just me, but I find plague humour like this very therapeutic (in a good way).
Must have a bit of soldier in you, dark humor was always appreciated. In Iraq we witnessed a car bomber (VBIED) blow himself up prematurely before he reached a position. One of the guys said, "My God, what just happened?" Another chimed in and said, "Must have lost his head!" We laughed about that for some time.o_O:)

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice write up of Fight for Seoul has been posted.

I agree with Mark, it’s a thing of beauty.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Howdy, folks. Work continues on the never-ending Desperation Morale World of ASL Compendium Update. At least now with social distancing I have a more valid excuse to spend my weekends and days off working on a website for an obscure complicated game rather than actually engaging with other human beings in real life.

Today I spent 5 hours or so finishing the write-up for Bounding Fire Production's Corregidor: The Rock module. It features some really nice product photographs from Daniel Zucker, Neal Ulen, and Mark Sockwell, to all of whom I am very grateful. Their nice photos really help the entry. Check 'em out: http://www.desperationmorale.com/products/corregidor-the-rock/

That module was the last of the "old" products that I had left to do (i.e., from 2017-2019 or so). Except for updating Armies of Oblivion with the 2nd edition contents. I need to do that, too.

What I have left, sitting next to me at the moment are:

1. The Fight For Seoul (LFT). I've been putting this off because it will be a lot of work.
  2. Croix de Guerre v2
  3. Onslaught to Orsha v2
  4. Derek Ritter's counter holder thingies (I need photos of these in action, guys!!!!!!)
In addition, I guess I will be receiving the latest March Madness pack pretty soon, so will have to add that to the pile when it gets here.

I am sure Critical Hit has or shortly will have some new items out that I haven't put up there yet, too.

Wild Bill Wilder has put out a couple more of his craptastic e-bay ASL items, and I am debating whether or not to add them. I feel I must, in the hopes of stopping anybody from purchasing them, yet I hate to give him space even more than I hate to give CH space.

I also still have photos from Dave Ramsey, Fen Yan, Dave Lamb, John Bock, Mark Drake, Michael Rodgers, Neal Ulen, Martin Vicca, Dan Dolen, Anonymous, and (I think) Jim Traver to add to various products, some of which I haven't written the write-ups for yet and some of which I have.

I have also been collecting images for some time of old ASL products being sold on e-bay and at some point will begin to start adding these to some of the older write-ups on the DM site.

Incidentally, today I noticed that I have 5,277 media items (basically images and PDFs, since I haven't uploaded any videos) uploaded to the Desperation Morale website. That's a lot of images!!!

Odds are still pretty decent I'll get and be hospitalized for the coronavirus before all this is finished. Which, on a more serious note, some of you who have website-downloading software might want to download and save the DM site for yourselves and/or posterity in case the worst happens. I think I have everything paid out for a few years, so even if I go it will stick around for at least a while, but you never know what could happen.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Hi Mark, Vic from Dispatches here, when you have a chance, e-mail me at aslbunker@aol.com

I want to get Issues #45 - 48 to you for review at your website and need a current e-mail address to do so.

So e-mail when you have a chance, I'll make sure you get an issue each time one is published, I do appreciate what you do for the hobby.

Take care and be safe, Vic.