Desperate for Desperation Morale

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Pittman’s reviews of CH are not biased but are the truth in a kind and logical way. I love the fact that he had to create a consumer alert to warn folks about the shady (to put it mildly) business model of CH.

If anyone has any doubt about this just go read this review:

http://www.desperationmorale.com/products/across-the-aller-i/

Same with Aller II

Very sad CH, very bad business model.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of friends defends Critical Hit. But he may be biased as he works for the company. I do not know enough to judge the issues. I really do like the look of the map board of Wake Island game that I purchased. The WW1 game left me unimpressed, however. For all I know you and Pittman may be right. There are enough ASL games to buy that I do not have to purchase his games. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Indeed, my capacity to purchase games is quite limited due to purchase of Singapore, preorder of I Shall Return, and now Barbarossa. 8,000 counters almost. Great Black Friday sale, but stung my wallet. Tim

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pittman’s reviews of CH are not biased but are the truth in a kind and logical way. I love the fact that he had to create a consumer alert to warn folks about the shady (to put it mildly) business model of CH.

If anyone has any doubt about this just go read this review:

http://www.desperationmorale.com/products/across-the-aller-i/

Same with Aller II

Very sad CH, very bad business model.
I thought that I had read all of the CH reviews, however I missed this one! Thanks for sharing the link, which should be of great help for the new ASL'ERS.
Caveat Emptor!

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
When he criticized CH releases he clearly identified what he didn't like, which helps you know if a feature he didn't care for is reason you WOULD want to buy the product. And I think his ambition to acquire every ASL release collided with Tapio's plan to revise and relabel everything every 4 years. If you are not a completist, his reprints aren't a problem.
DM was an invaluable resource, and I'd love to see its return. We all owe him a debt of thanks.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
It seems to me he created the 'consumer alerts' to tag the Wild Bill Wilder stuff that was being sold on ebay for astronomical prices. He just happened to reuse it for other products.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wish Mark didn't insist on doing it all himself. There has to be others he would trust to do product reviews for the site. Many hands make little work.

I'd hate to see DM go the way of too many useful ASL sites.
Unfortunately, the one area where I more than once actively solicited help--taking good photos of components--I never got any responses.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am very gratified that people are missing the DM site--or rather the lack of new content on it. I regret that a combination of work and personal obligations plus major burnout have so far kept me from doing any updates. However, I have been trying to keep up with items released, so that I can do a future update when I get the time and energy. Although I have stopped getting Critical Hit products; there seems little point to that anymore.

Hope to see some of you at Winter Offensive. Despite my burnout, I am planning on going, as long as it isn't blizzardy.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Hope to see some of you at Winter Offensive. Despite my burnout, I am planning on going, as long as it isn't blizzardy.
Six feet of snow this time!

If it snows try coming across 200 (toll, but probably worth it) to 95 or 70 and 695 around Baltimore then down 95 instead of by 495.

JR

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Unfortunately, the one area where I more than once actively solicited help--taking good photos of components--I never got any responses.
Mark .. if I send you a few shots of Forgotten War as an audition and you are okay with them, will you start things back up? At least with the few things I got. It won't be quick but I will do what I can.

If yes .. can you please PM me your email?

Rgds Jack

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mark .. if I send you a few shots of Forgotten War as an audition and you are okay with them, will you start things back up? At least with the few things I got. It won't be quick but I will do what I can.

If yes .. can you please PM me your email?

Rgds Jack
I'm sorry, Jack, I did not see this until now. Yes, I would be interested in the photos.

chaos45

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Just wanted to add that I to over the years of on and off playing ASL have looked to Desperation Morale as a good source of information on products and reviews...as well as a place to find game aids an such. Please keep up the good work.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Mark is back in production and I can’t say that I missed anything without the photos but it is due to me owning the products already. If we all send a few photos I’m sure more posts will follow

ASLurker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've contacted him twice (FB and DM contact form) to send pictures for Race for the Meuse, but have heard nothing. I don't know an email address to send pictures to. ?‍♂