Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Don't forget the entertainment value!
I'll confess that one of my guilty pleasures is rewatching election night coverage and watching Ms. Clinton's supporters in tears. There are more of those kind of videos on YT than one would imagine. Also the pre-election "prediction" videos, I find those enormously entertaining as well. I hope with everyone else there are two strong, viable, high-functioning adult, non-criminal candidates next time out. Though I suspect it would be far less entertaining if that came to pass.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I miss the useful and occasionally entertaining content of the now dormant Desperation Morale site. Over the years, I've appreciated the consumer advocate aspect of the site and the hundreds of dollars which it has saved for me.

It is quite tiresome to watch nearly every thread regarding Desperation Morale devolve in to a non-ASL related political opinion piece.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I miss the useful and occasionally entertaining content of the now dormant Desperation Morale site. Over the years, I've appreciated the consumer advocate aspect of the site and the hundreds of dollars which it has saved for me.

It is quite tiresome to watch nearly every thread regarding Desperation Morale devolve in to a non-ASL related political opinion piece.
In para one you complain about the lack of hyper-partisan opinion pieces in your life.

In para two you complain that there are too many hyper-partisan opinion pieces in your life.

Have you considered that you're just not capable of being happy?

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

The Desperation Morale site provides great service to myself as well as to a lot of new folks entering the hobby. Certainly a case of where Mark spent a lot of money and time to make sure we don't have to, plus the flip side: for us to not miss some of the great products as well. It also chronicles ASL's history so that some of our creative efforts don't disappear from our collective memory.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The ASL Scenario Archive has a catalogue of ASL products - and a review feature. Boardgamegeek also has the capacity to add any ASL product to the database (as long as it includes scenarios). It's very simple for any member of the community to help everyone else out with reviews and product listings. The scenario archive also counts how many scenarios you have, and tracks playings (another feature BGG also has).

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The ASL Scenario Archive has a catalogue of ASL products - and a review feature. Boardgamegeek also has the capacity to add any ASL product to the database (as long as it includes scenarios). It's very simple for any member of the community to help everyone else out with reviews and product listings. The scenario archive also counts how many scenarios you have, and tracks playings (another feature BGG also has).
And some folks have a consistent history of deriding Mark's contributions to the hobby.

Instead of going to 2 sites to look at what's "very simple for any member of the community" to do. I go to Desperation Morale for a definitive, no nonsense & detailed look from someone with a known (and hence factored in) set of bias.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
And some folks have a consistent history of deriding Mark's contributions to the hobby.
Show me where I've done that in this thread. Actually, show me where I've done that this year. Or the one before that. Or the one before that.

Instead of going to 2 sites to look at what's "very simple for any member of the community" to do. I go to Desperation Morale for a definitive, no nonsense & detailed look from someone with a known (and hence factored in) set of bias.
How's that working for you in 2018?

Look, the point which you seem to have missed is that you can either wring hands that one resource has gone offline for 12 months, or just look at some of the other options which are available *right now* and not dependent on a single person.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Show me where I've done that in this thread. Actually, show me where I've done that this year. Or the one before that. Or the one before that.
Is this about you again? (I love it how you checked your self and corrected your statement to
"Show me where I've done that in this thread." .. self awareness.. muhahahahah)

How's that working for you in 2018?
Quite well : I checked up about a copy of "God Save the King" earlier ... and about old LFT magazines earlier. The newbies from Asia Pac check the site out quite a bit as well give the wide range of ASL stuff available.

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
The republican party has become the nazi party so Mark has a lot more work to do in his field. I guess if you like nazis then you will like the republican party.
Do you have any idea What a Nazi is? They are people who do violent street demonstrations, flip over and burn cars, and repeat the same lies again and again hoping fools will believe them.. I'm afraid you have the wrong party.

Last edited:

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
hell yeah man. Great post. Not only was that site a source of great information, and likely saved me many purchases I might have otherwise made, but it was in its own way, through his bias's and opinions, extremely entertaining reading.

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
Lot of fun to read, and useful even if he had a gargantuan bias against one publisher. Miss it

Last edited:

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wish Mark didn't insist on doing it all himself. There has to be others he would trust to do product reviews for the site. Many hands make little work.

I'd hate to see DM go the way of too many useful ASL sites.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I wish Mark didn't insist on doing it all himself. There has to be others he would trust to do product reviews for the site. Many hands make little work.

I'd hate to see DM go the way of too many useful ASL sites.
I think that is the point of the Product Reviews section here on GS although nobody seems to be positing anything new there. If everyone put in reviews it will continue the DM tradition. I don't hold out much hope that DM will continue as the complete compendium but maybe a few updates once a year due to the metric ton of CH products along with Pitman's work. Just too much publishing going on right now for one person to keep up with. If we all chip in a review here on GS, we might be able to keep the tradition going. but I will never come up with funny lines like "been republished more than the lives of a Hindu cat".

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
While I have commented on new products and have seen reviews by others, few or none have brought Mark's forensic dissection to bear. I know I would not have the hardness that is sometimes required. It's not that I always agree with his reviews, but a somewhat cold and clinical attitude is necessary for a good reviewer.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, I am not sure about Mark P.'s biased opinion of Critical Hit, but his opinion of Arthur and Gar at Total War seemed accurate. Tim