Desired VASL feature

Tork

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Greetings,

Here is a VASL feature that I'd really like to see.

Can the cursor hover-view also show the hex coordinate and a picture of the hex map underneath? That would really help in high density battles, like BRT.

I would greatly prefer to not have to click on the array of units to try to determine the hex ID, as that causes all sorts of problems with units moving into different hexes plus units changing fortification locations... Carl and I have around the pier a zone of units in every hex, in a column about five hexes wide and about twelve high. So saying "check on R30" requires guessing about where that is, clicking on one hex, realizing that it is actually S26, then dead-reckoning to where you think R30 actually is. Hovering would speed things up greatly.

Thanks!

R.S. Barker

0-52 baby!
Reaction score
Can the cursor hover-view also show the hex coordinate and a picture of the hex map underneath?

I'm just starting with VASL and can not agree more with this question/idea for future improvements. I was unsure what kind of building my opponent was in and did the double click on the counters to see, which rteally didn't help. Fortunately my opponent was kind and told me what it was.

Please consider adding this to the future additions list.

Great ideas Tork !

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The quick and easy way to see what's under the counters (terrain, etc) is to press the Globe looking button. It removes all the pieces from the board, so you can see the board (and hence, what type of building). Another quick way to do this is to activate the LOS tool... it automatically clears all counters from the board.

Tork

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes but...

when the map is really busy, and you are trying to check out one particular hex in relation to a wreck or gun of interest, hitting the global button doesn't help as much. Kind of too much information, as opposed to the info about one spot...

Priest

Reaction score
What I'd like to see is all charts and tables added to VASL not just the IFT, CC, Ordnance TH and the Vehicle TK charts. This would include all charts and tables used by SASL.

Josh

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I agree with the charts and the hex coordinate to be added. I would like to see the counters setup where they are while still knowing the hex coordinates of one stack so the hover idea has been in my mind for a while.

Sgt. Przybylo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hex coord

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you click the hex, doesnt a small box show up with the hex coordinate?

Josh

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'll have to check when I get home but I think it does not help since if you have counters in the hex, you would unstack counters by clicking only.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Normally, when you click on a hex, only the top counter is selected and the hex grid # appears below. If you double-click, the stack expands. And if you hold your mouse still a floating "stack contents" window will appear.

A "Hide This Stack" command toggle would be useful. Of course, eyeballing LOS usually requires clearing the counters in multiple hexes. An optional, floating "current hex" tooltip would be pretty useful, too.

Commissar Piotr

War Pig
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hello Gents

Auto-Report moves have to be enabled to be able to see the hex number by selecting the stack.